WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just saw this thread on TZ as I was walking out the door, and thought I'd post it over here.
Sold recently by Antiqorum for 18,000 [EURO]:
Moon watch, chronometer prototype, with a diameter of 44.25 mm, fitted with an automatic coaxial 3313 engine.​

So, there it is. Omega has done it. Moonwatch case with automatic Co-axial c.3313 and date at 6 o'clock. Note that "Professional" is absent from the dial.

The questions that remain are, will this model enter full production and, if so, will it be a replacement for the Pro?

Thoughts? Comments? Screams of terror?

eric

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I find it hard to believe the classic manual wind Speedmaster Professional will be discontinued.... This is the centerpiece of the Speedmaster line and with all the relevance to the moon landing, etc, I doubt they would stop this. The c.3313 model may be aimed for an audience that wants the convenience of an autowind watch while the Pro will remain for those who are looking at the historical aspect of the watch...

Of course, I could be wrong... I thought the production of the Delorean would last for ever ;-)

I just saw this thread on TZ as I was walking out the door, and thought I'd post it over here.
Moon watch, chronometer prototype, with a diameter of 44.25 mm, fitted with an automatic coaxial 3313 engine.​

So, there it is. Omega has done it. Moonwatch case with automatic Co-axial c.3313 and date at 6 o'clock. Note that "Professional" is absent from the dial.

The questions that remain are, will this model enter full production and, if so, will it be a replacement for the Pro?

eric

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Eric,

I saw this in an article in a local watch magazine here the other day (CALIBER) but didn't get it (it had too many features on other watches) but as I recall reading the article I remember it mentioning that it will only be a LE...but who knows with LE's?

The magazine is a pretty solid one, I'll try to get one today and scan the article....

Regards
Glimmer

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
There's a market for this watch- I believe I've seen a number of posts desiring something of this ilk (see todays post by OnTimeGabe). The movement complaints seem to have died down. It will never replace the manual wind hesalite Pro, but the numerous other models of Speedys prove that Omega is shooting for different groups anyway.
Now-what does the missing "PROFESSIONAL" appelation stand for anyway? I can understand it on Seamasters as pro divers can use a good watch designed for them- but who are Speedy Pros designed for?
Don

·
Registered
8,485 Posts

eric
Hey, I've got some Ohio swamp land to sell this guy! This will make a great POLL thread! John Wilson.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Holy Smoke.

Co-Axial for Speedies now. :roll:

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it hard to believe the classic manual wind Speedmaster Professional will be discontinued.... This is the centerpiece of the Speedmaster line and with all the relevance to the moon landing, etc, I doubt they would stop this. The c.3313 model may be aimed for an audience that wants the convenience of an autowind watch while the Pro will remain for those who are looking at the historical aspect of the watch...

Of course, I could be wrong... I thought the production of the Delorean would last for ever ;-)
I'm trying to maintain that optimism, Joe, but I'm scared.

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eric,

I saw this in an article in a local watch magazine here the other day (CALIBER) but didn't get it (it had too many features on other watches) but as I recall reading the article I remember it mentioning that it will only be a LE...but who knows with LE's?

The magazine is a pretty solid one, I'll try to get one today and scan the article....

Regards
Glimmer
Very interesting, Glimmer. Post what you can!

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a market for this watch- I believe I've seen a number of posts desiring something of this ilk (see todays post by OnTimeGabe). The movement complaints seem to have died down. It will never replace the manual wind hesalite Pro, but the numerous other models of Speedys prove that Omega is shooting for different groups anyway.
Now-what does the missing "PROFESSIONAL" appelation stand for anyway? I can understand it on Seamasters as pro divers can use a good watch designed for them- but who are Speedy Pros designed for?
Don
Yup, there's certainly a demand for Speedy with a rotor and a date. Frankly, I'm surprised that Omega hasn't done it, before. I mean, we have a Pro with a Moon Phase complication, why not make a Pro Date.

Ok, they've done it, before (though, not a Pro). There was the ref.376.0822, the "Grail," with the Lemania 5100 / Omega c/1045.

Photograph courtesy of Chuck.

Exceptional..absolutely exceptional chronograph movement (certainly one of my favorites, and I think Chuck, Pascal, René [sulaco], and others would add their support) automatic movement and date...day/date, actually, and a 24-hour dial. No moon phase, sorry.

This little beauty crapped out after just a couple of years in the late 80s and now demands impressive prices.

Later, just in the last few years, we have what is basically the same watch as the "Prototype," but with a different dial. The Speedmaster "Racing."

Photograph courtesy of Jean-Micheal: http://www.lesmala.net/jean-michel/speedmaster/

The "Racing" features a full-sized "Moonwatch" case with c.33xx Automatic movement with date...and a carbon fiber dial.

Here's that same c.3xxx automatic Piaget that's has appeared in the POCh, the BA Series, and probably in an AT or two. It wouldn't be a great leap for Omega to release a model with a flat, black dial, like the standard Pro.

Again, the question is, with Omega's move towards the Co-ax and ultimately towards their own c.8xxx, will the good ol', exclusive to Omega c.186x stay in production, or will it go the way of the c.5100.

Wait, that'd be stupid.

eric

Finally, I'd like to apologize for the excessive use of quotation marks in this post.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I am speechless. On other hand thats great news, co-axial Auto in Speedy!, but then again, classic is allways classic, and thats NOT it.

EDIT : And whats up with the price??

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Guys, guys, guys, what about the Ltd Ed 50th Anniversary Speedy Pro that was released recently? You know, the big wooden box, the glossy black dial, the spare croco strap, the toolkit, the 100m water-resistance, the sapphire crystal, the limited to 1957 pieces world-wide, the 10K+ price tag, the HAND-WOUND CO-AXIAL MOVEMENT!!??
My theory is that this movement could end up replacing the Cal 1861/63 at some point, since Omega is h3ll-bent on putting the co-axial into everything except the pace-makers of their retired watchmakers.
Co-axial pace-makers???:think:. Nick Hayek reaches for the phone on his desk...
Just my 2c humb-op.

teeritz

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Don
It's something I'd definately be interested in. Big, but not quite as large as the PO Chrono, Co-Ax, date, and auto, but with classic looks. Seems like a nice addition to the lineup for folks that want the 'spirit' of a Speedy Pro, but in a modern package.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am a fan of the date and auto wind movement... (actually, just the date. I don't mind winding, at all) but why bump it up to 44.25mm? I'm happy with the Pro as it is.

Any thoughts as to how much it will cost when it comes out?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am a fan of the date and auto wind movement... (actually, just the date. I don't mind winding, at all) but why bump it up to 44.25mm? I'm happy with the Pro as it is.

Any thoughts as to how much it will cost when it comes out?
That's a detail I had overlooked. 44.25 is the same size as the BA Rattrapante, which is a big watch.

It's possible that Antiquorum's description is wrong, but looking at the dial, it does look to be a bit larger than the Pro.

As for the price, we don't even know that it will become a production model. But, I imagine they'd price it close to the Broad Arrow, which retails for about $5,000. That's just a guess, though.

eric

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
$5,000 is far too expensive. The current Speedy Pro is in a reasonable place, price wise. Every time I have to check my cell phone for the date I long for a date function, but not for another couple grand.

·
6,880 Posts
I personally think that there is a market for larger Speedmasters.

I would rather have a 44mm than a 41mm Speedy.

·
Registered
688 Posts
A 44mm speedy pro would be sweet. The only problem is, these new fancy Omega watches are getting more and more expensive compared to what you could buy a few years ago, I assume to become more high end and compete with Rolex.

It's just a matter of time before guys like me are priced out of the Omega market and will have to start enjoying brands such as Tag and Oris. I'm not saying this is a bad thing.....I'm just glad I have a couple of Speedmasters from a few years ago before they decided to go after Rolex marketshare.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Eric,

I picked up that magazine I was talking about...apologize for this but the feature was on the Co-Axial Limited Series with 00/57 on the dial. Calibre 3201, black and gold....

"Gone too is the original velcro strap that astronauts used to fasten the Speedmaster to the exterior of their spacesuits. The 50th anniversary Moonwatch has been fitted with Omega's patented 'screw and pin' bracelet inspired by the first solid link bracelet of the 1960's. Changing the links of the bracelet to suit wrist size has never been easier with an ingenious system of discreet screws...Special handmade wooden box with eight dates engraved on the feet of the box, each date remembering a moment in man's relentless quest to conquer new horizons..."

I believe this is what Teeritz was referring to.

The magazine though is quite interesting and it kept me up all night...good articles on Longines' new releases, Audemars Piguets' new carbon Chronograph, reports from Basel, really cool articles. And I'm not one to be easily impressed by glossies.

Speaking of which, I'm not quite sure of this but I'm assuming that most folks here get an issue of Omega's Lifetime Magazine? I think the co-ax Speedy is featured there, though I'm confused...there is the limited ed, the broad arrows, the rattrapante, etc.

Thanks
Glimmer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts