WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between these two, head says Longines, heart says speedie, I have tried on both and really liked them, but a £2k difference between them cannot be overlooked (that's the head talking), but it's a speedie (that's the heart yelling).

I could ask the same question on the Longines forum but as I am hearting the speedie more I was wondering is there any reason (other than monetary) that I should choose the big eye over the speedie. I am looking to buy new as I want this to be an everyday wear (in rotation with one other) so am dreading buyers remorse.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Everyone knows Speedmaster as that is an iconic watch, but what is Longines Big Eye?
Is there Small Eye too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: thx67

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have to admit the Longines Big Eye is one of the best looking classic chronograph I have seen these days. However, the Speedmaster in itself is an icon and definitely a handsome piece too. Go with the heart for these kind of things, because even if you go for the Big Eye then your heart will keep tugging at you saying you should've gone for the Speedy, or you will start to think that the Big Eye is "second best" and start looking at it's faults even there arent any.

·
Banned
98 Posts
I just looked it up having no prior knowledge of the big eye, but its beautiful. That said, if you're getting a 3-dial chrono, I'd lean towards the history and allure of the Speedy.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Both are beautiful watches, and I don't think there is much difference in the quality or the finishing between these two. However, if you heart wants the Speedmaster, then keep saving for that. I find that settling for a cheaper substitute will often end up costing more in the long run, as you'll likely sell the substitute at a loss to buy what you wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I own and love both.

So will you, once you've bought both. ;-)

Also, the BigEye punches way above its weight in terns of movement quality, build and finishing. it's a superb value and an excellent watch by any metric. But it isn't a handwind and it lacks a direct connection with the great Lemania chrono movements and the treasure trove of NASA history. I don't think they're actually competitors but they are great stablemates.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Either one. I have a Speedy and a Pilot Chrono.

·
Registered
230 Posts
While I only own the Speedmaster, I find the Big Eye to be a nice looking watch. If it weren’t for the dimensions and the appearance of being a large watch in photos I’ve seen, I’d consider adding one to my collection one day. Having said that, if you’re really wanting the Speedmaster, it’s probably best to just go that route and avoid the stopover with the Longines.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
The Speedy wears thin for its height. I love the look of the Big Eye from the top down but it looks really thick from the side. As long as that doesn't bother you they both look great. The Speedy is the only one I've owned.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Everyone knows Speedmaster as that is an iconic watch, but what is Longines Big Eye?
Is there Small Eye too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you buying watches based on what people know/love as the ultimate form of validation?

Personally, as a Speedmaster owner I would most definitely buy a Big Eye as well, it's on my shortlist.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I like them both, and I went in to buy the Big Eye, BUT....its too thick (to me) hence I dont have one yet; so go with which you prefer best.

My problem with longines is always the size (case and lugs).

·
Registered
101 Posts
as a previous owner of the speedmaster, I would say big eye. It has alot more character and personality. Speedmaster is a beautiful watch, seems almost too perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is completely subjective, but to me the Big Eye looks like big ears instead with those chrono pushers taking so much presence.

Maybe also try the First Omega in Space, it's slightly smaller than the Pro, with slightly different aesthetics, and slightly less expensive too.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
This is completely subjective, but to me the Big Eye looks like big ears instead with those chrono pushers taking so much presence.
Have you ever handled one? Those pushers combined with the column based chronograph movement are a huge step in terms of tactility and feedback over the Speedmaster that uses a cam-actuated chrono.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts