WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have been on the hunt for a 3572.50 for the past week and it seems like not alot of those are around.
Even still, finding a good condition used set with a nicely aged patina is hard.

I read that for the 3572.50, some of them are constructed with the luminova markers instead and just a few of those are constructed with the tritium dial.
Is that really the case?

This is gonna be my first speedy pro hence what would you guys look out for when purchasing a used speedy pro?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi guys

I have been on the hunt for a 3572.50 for the past week and it seems like not alot of those are around.
Even still, finding a good condition used set with a nicely aged patina is hard.

I read that for the 3572.50, some of them are constructed with the luminova markers instead and just a few of those are constructed with the tritium dial.
Is that really the case?
As you know, I just completed my hunt for the same timepiece. 3572.50's are not impossible to find, but they are definitely scarce when compared to 311.30 and 3570.50 models.

I'll admit that I was impatient -- once I set my mind to getting a 3572.50 I wanted to pounce pretty quickly. If you're willing and able to wait, I suspect you'll have plenty to choose from. The key will be to know when to buy because you don't want to miss "the one" when it's available.

Of the ones I was eyeing up, only a small percentage actually had everything I was looking for (decent condition, patina on a tritium dial, full bracelet, box, papers, etc.). I quickly gave up on the papers because they were hard to come by and are pretty inconsequential for a watch that I actually want to wear (and not flip).

You'll want to look for watches with a "T Swiss Made T" on the dial -- the "T" stands for Tritium. You're right that only a few had tritium before the series was moved over to Luminova.

I ended up opting for one from a dealer that had recently been serviced -- I spent a little more than planned in the process, but will hopefully end up with a watch that stays with me for many years to come before needing to make a visit to the service center.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you decide.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is that really the case
Yes. Early versions (1995-1997) used the 863 movement w/tritium dial. Later versions (1997-2003) used the 1863 w/superluminova.

Edit: you could also look for the 3592.50 (1989/90-1995), which came in numbered (limited edition) and unnumbered versions. This is pretty similar to the 3572.50; biggest noticeable differences are (1) likely different bracelet, and (2) different writing on the back.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I too spent a few months waiting for the perfect 3572.50. I was looking for a later one in good condition with a luminova dial, 1863 mvmt, updated bracelet with push-button clasp, and box. The latest ones with push-button clasp seem especially hard to find, and as a 'bracelet guy' this was something I wanted. Eventually I found mine from an eBay seller in Japan.
There certainly isn't as many 3572's out there as 3570, 3753, or the later ones. But it's definitely worth the wait. The trick is to keep your eye on eBay and watchrecon and have the money ready to go at a moments notice. I missed a lovely 3572 early in my hunt because I was indecisive in pulling the trigger, and had to wait another 3 months before the next one came up that ticked my boxes.

Keep your eye on eBay and stick with it. When you finally find the perfect one you will love it all the more.

Reactions: Sherhan

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yes. Early versions (1995-1997) used the 863 movement w/tritium dial. Later versions (1997-2003) used the 1863 w/superluminova.

Edit: you could also look for the 3592.50 (1989/90-1995), which came in numbered (limited edition) and unnumbered versions. This is pretty similar to the 3572.50; biggest noticeable differences are (1) likely different bracelet, and (2) different writing on the back.
Yeah, the easiest way to spot a late 3592 to an early 3572 is the bracelet. 1479 on 3592 used hollow links and squared stamped friction clasp, while the 1499/1498 on the 3572 is solid links with milled rounded friction clasp.

The tritium dials were used up pretty quickly and only really produced from about 1996-1998. Around this time was also when the luminova dials and rhodium-plated 1863 movements started being produced, so from about 1998-1999 there were a few "transitional" parts-bins specials out there.

Adding to the confusion of the 3572 was the later bracelet changeover. In 2000 they went from the friction 1498/1499 to the push-button 1998.

So, for handy reference there are these variations of 3572.50
1st 95/97 - 863 gilt movement, tritium dial, 1499/1498 bracelet. 4xxxxxx serial #
2nd/A 97/98 - 863, SL dial, 1499/1498 bracelet. Parts bin special. 4xxxxxx serial. (some debate whether these came out of the factory this way or they have service dials)
2nd/B 97/98 - 1863 rhodium movement, tritium dial, 1499/1498 bracelet. 4xxxxxx serial
3rd 98/2000 - 1863, SL, 1499/1498 bracelet. 4xxxxxx serial
4th 2000/2002 - 1863, SL, 1998 bracelet. 77xxxx serial

I may have missed a few iterations in there but these seem to be the established norms. So, the 3572 is a bit of a cult classic that's also surprisingly varied for such a short run, but the period of transitions for movements, dials, bracelets and serial numbers only add to the quirkiness.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wouldn't mess with ebay in this case. You should be taking to George /Kringkily to source you one instead. He's the guy for this... I would be very hesitant to buy any sort of vintage /older pieces on ebay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot mates for the kind replies and insight.

especially to yinzerniner for the additional information.
now i kind of know which model i am looking for and seems like its all about waiting for the right one to pop up!

Wouldn't mess with ebay in this case. You should be taking to George /Kringkily to source you one instead. He's the guy for this... I would be very hesitant to buy any sort of vintage /older pieces on ebay.
do you mean the user Kringkily over here at WUS? thanks alot mate!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
thanks alot mates for the kind replies and insight.

especially to yinzerniner for the additional information.
now i kind of know which model i am looking for and seems like its all about waiting for the right one to pop up!

do you mean the user Kringkily over here at WUS? thanks alot mate!
Kringkily has the same username at all the big boards although he does the majority of his Omega deals at Omega Forums. I picked up my first Speedy Pro from him and the process couldn't have been easier or more professional (no pun intended). I have the luck of being in NYC with him so could peruse a few items face to face.

Funny story, I actually intended in purchasing a 3573 from him but asked if he had any other Speedy Pros with different features and price ranges and he obliged by bringing four or five out for my review; a 3573, 3570, 3590, and two 3572s, 1863 SL and 863 Tritium. I didn't even know the 863 Tritium existed, and was instantly enamored but asked for a weekend to decide. He gave me a best price (which was significantly lower than what comparables were currently listed elsewhere) and the next day the deal was done.

Have heard nothing but good things from Watchvaultnyc and Lunar Oyster / krlyuzh too. I know there are a few other dealers out there on the WuS boards who have them in stock once a while, but best bet is to reach out to the sellers first and ask them to keep an eye out for the exact model you want. More often then not they'll be able to satisfy your inquiry in a shorter period then by just eagle-eyeing the For Sale sections.

Good luck with the search and update with pics once you get it!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Agreed watchvaultnyc seems solid but I know Kirill/krlyuzh/lunaroyster as well and he's one of those legendary vintage encyclopedias for omega and Rolex. Can't go wrong with any of these choices.... But I think George definitely has more speedies.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kringkily has the same username at all the big boards although he does the majority of his Omega deals at Omega Forums. I picked up my first Speedy Pro from him and the process couldn't have been easier or more professional (no pun intended). I have the luck of being in NYC with him so could peruse a few items face to face.

Funny story, I actually intended in purchasing a 3573 from him but asked if he had any other Speedy Pros with different features and price ranges and he obliged by bringing four or five out for my review; a 3573, 3570, 3590, and two 3572s, 1863 SL and 863 Tritium. I didn't even know the 863 Tritium existed, and was instantly enamored but asked for a weekend to decide. He gave me a best price (which was significantly lower than what comparables were currently listed elsewhere) and the next day the deal was done.

Have heard nothing but good things from Watchvaultnyc and Lunar Oyster / krlyuzh too. I know there are a few other dealers out there on the WuS boards who have them in stock once a while, but best bet is to reach out to the sellers first and ask them to keep an eye out for the exact model you want. More often then not they'll be able to satisfy your inquiry in a shorter period then by just eagle-eyeing the For Sale sections.

Good luck with the search and update with pics once you get it!
Thanks mate! Glad to hear the experience of yours and definitely will update with the search and pictures once I get it!
Hopefully it will not be too long!

Don't leave us in suspense! What are you planning to hunt down? :)
possibly the first variation with the 863!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Life got busy and I realized this weekend that I never posted pictures of my new-to-me 3572.50. I managed to track down a specimen with the tritium dial and picked-up an Omega NATO while I wait to have the bracelet sized. So far, I am really digging the hesalite and the overall size of the timepiece. It's no wonder this is such a classic...

WUS-Omega_SpeedmasterPro_2016112501.jpg
WUS-Omega_SpeedmasterPro_2016112502.jpg
WUS-Omega_SpeedmasterPro_2016112503.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts