WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I posted here about buying a Speedy - and I'm still on track. I'd love a little feedback as I move forward though. In short: I know the Speedy is "dated by design" (one of the reasons I love it), so ... is it still ok to take it on fairly extreme (non-diving) adventures? I'd love to take it skiing for example... not because I want to show off but because if I'm going to spend so much on a watch, I want to spend time with it! Would you guys be willing to share some adventure stories with your Speedy? How did it take them? etc etc. Pictures of a Speedy while on a cool adventure are encouraged! b-)

I guess I mostly ask because a lot of people around here refer to the stringent NASA tests |> - but a bunch also seem to imply that you need to baby the Speedy. Which side do you fall on?

Thanks!

Justin

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hi guys,

I posted here about buying a Speedy - and I'm still on track. I'd love a little feedback as I move forward though. In short: I know the Speedy is "dated by design" (one of the reasons I love it), so ... is it still ok to take it on fairly extreme (non-diving) adventures? I'd love to take it skiing for example... not because I want to show off but because if I'm going to spend so much on a watch, I want to spend time with it! Would you guys be willing to share some adventure stories with your Speedy? How did it take them? etc etc. Pictures of a Speedy while on a cool adventure are encouraged! b-)

I guess I mostly ask because a lot of people around here refer to the stringent NASA tests |> - but a bunch also seem to imply that you need to baby the Speedy. Which side do you fall on?

Thanks!

Justin
I've worn my Speedy Pro doing the following activities:

-Skiing
-Hiking
-Biking (road)
-Beach Volleyball (stupidly)
-Golfing (poorly)
-ATVing
-Ziplining

If it's good enough for EVA it's good enough for any activity outside of water IMHO. Those who baby it are probably treating the Speedy Pro as expensive jewelry, which I get and totally understand since for all intents and purposes expensive watches ARE jewelry, but I still see the Speedy Pro as a tool and treat it as such.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've worn my Speedy Pro doing the following activities:

-Skiing
-Hiking
-Biking (road)
-Beach Volleyball (stupidly)
-Golfing (poorly)
-ATVing
-Ziplining

If it's good enough for EVA it's good enough for any activity outside of water IMHO. Those who baby it are probably treating the Speedy Pro as expensive jewelry, which I get and totally understand since for all intents and purposes expensive watches ARE jewelry, but I still see the Speedy Pro as a tool and treat it as such.
That is excellent news - thank you! Yeah I mean I'm not the kind of person who wants to purposely destroy something but I feel like a really nice sports watch should be a beautiful tool. I don't need, nor can I afford, a $5k chef knife... but I'd enjoy the heck out of it if I owned it!

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I am sure the Speedy pro is tough, but i had a different experience with mine. This summer i traveled to Europe to visit my family and dropped my Speedy pro on the floor of the bedroom, probably from a height of half a meter and it messed up something in the chronograph which kept stopping.
I stored the watchand took it to an Omega boutique to be fixed. It is probably bad luck but it made me question the toughness of MY Speedy...
I always pack a spare watch just in case when I travel now (my SMPQ).
In any case the Speedy is a great watch, don't baby it, but keep in mind it is not indestructible!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure the Speedy pro is tough, but i had a different experience with mine. This summer i traveled to Europe to visit my family and dropped my Speedy pro on the floor of the bedroom, probably from a height of half a meter and it messed up something in the chronograph which kept stopping.
I stored the watchand took it to an Omega boutique to be fixed. It is probably bad luck but it made me question the toughness of MY Speedy...
I always pack a spare watch just in case when I travel now (my SMPQ).
In any case the Speedy is a great watch, don't baby it, but keep in mind it is not indestructible!

I'm really sorry to hear that masbret - I have to admit that does make me a touch nervous. I suppose it does warrant bearing in mind that we're talking about a chronograph here, when I'm pretty used to diving watches. Just out of morbid curiosity, was that on to a hard floor, or a carpet? I can't imagine a fall of what? 1.5 feet messing something up if it was a carpet! Scary stuff :-(

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
It was a hard floor, when it happened I could not imagine that it could have messed up anything. As I said, it was probably bad luck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A very good question. Let me state at the outset that I have a 1998 Speedy Pro and it is one of my two favorite watches. I think there's no doubt that the watch is tough, particularly for the environment NASA intended it for. That said, at the price I paid for mine I don't consider it a "tool" watch (astronauts didn't have to buy theirs). While I don't think of it as "jewelry", I do consider it an exceptional timepiece and I treat it with commensurate respect. I've other watches to wear when a beater (or exposure to water) is called for.
Mine has the hesalite crystal which can be prone to scratches on an Every Day watch, but a little Polywatch goes a long way. Then there's also those versions with sapphire crystals. Nice. Regardless, I applaud your decision and I'm sure you will enjoy your Speedmaster. It's a great companion.

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A very good question. Let me state at the outset that I have a 1998 Speedy Pro and it is one of my two favorite watches. I think there's no doubt that the watch is tough, particularly for the environment NASA intended it for. That said, at the price I paid for mine I don't consider it a "tool" watch (astronauts didn't have to buy theirs). While I don't think of it as "jewelry", I do consider it an exceptional timepiece and I treat it with commensurate respect. I've other watches to wear when a beater (or exposure to water) is called for.
Mine has the hesalite crystal which can be prone to scratches on an Every Day watch, but a little Polywatch goes a long way. Then there's also those versions with sapphire crystals. Nice. Regardless, I applaud your decision and I'm sure you will enjoy your Speedmaster. It's a great companion.

View attachment 9698074

Thanks for sharing! Your Speedy is a thing of beauty! Yeah, like I said I don't want to intentionally destroy anything... just know the limits. The alternative that I'm kicking around is a second-hand Sub 14060, which I love as well, but there's something about the Speedy...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a deployment to Afghanistan I worked with a guy that wore a Speedmaster. On a side note I saw a British SF dude sporting a 2254.50, and I wore my GMT Master 16750 80% of the time both in and outside of the wire. I definitely consider my experience their an "adventure".

View attachment 9703466
It sounds like you've been on quite the adventure, thank you for sharing! I don't think I'll be doing anything that intense - I just want to make sure I don't accidentally destroy it if I forget to take it off before I go rock climbing or something. That's a beautiful GMT - I've always admired them, but it's not on my list at the moment... I think my wife would have my head if I climbed outside of grey market Speedy / used Sub territory at the moment!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
On a deployment to Afghanistan I worked with a guy that wore a Speedmaster. On a side note I saw a British SF dude sporting a 2254.50, and I wore my GMT Master 16750 80% of the time both in and outside of the wire. I definitely consider my experience their an "adventure".

View attachment 9703466
What a cool photo. Thanks for the input. Makes me want a GMT.

·
Registered
556 Posts
As it turns out, that other "favorite" watch I mentioned is a GMT Master II. It appears we're in good company.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Your Speedy is a thing of beauty! Yeah, like I said I don't want to intentionally destroy anything... just know the limits. The alternative that I'm kicking around is a second-hand Sub 14060, which I love as well, but there's something about the Speedy...
Thanks. I'm certain the Sub could handle most anything your adventures might throw at it. Like the Speedy the no-date Sub is great for crossing multiple time zones - easy to reset to local time with no worries about resetting the date. I guess a big factor would be whether you think you'd need the chronograph feature of the Speedmaster or not. Two very different watches but iconic in their own ways.

·
Registered
874 Posts
FWIW, I had a springbar give out on my PloProf 1200m a few years ago, as I was watching my daughter play soccer, it fell from my wrist onto a padded artificial turf (blades of plastic 'grass' with a thick layer of fine rubber granules between) surface, and the impact tangled the hairspring, causing it to run several hours fast a day.

A trip to the local Omega boutique here in Seattle, which conveniently houses Omega's US boutique service center had it untangled and working right in a few days, at no cost to me.

Point being that even as beefy and 'durable' a watch as Ploprof is vulnerable to what 'should' have been a well-cushioned landing. It's the ultimate downfall of mechanical watches - there's a lot going on in there.

My tendency is to just accept that there's always a chance of killing a mechanical watch, even doing something very passive. At the same time, I could probably wear that PloProf every day for a decade of adventure sports, and it'll never miss a beat again (hopefully).

In the end, the only real choices are to wear your mechanical watch out and about, or just get a G-shock and never worry about it again.

Someone like Archer may have a different viewpoint, but other than water-resistance, I don't see a ton of difference in the suitability of Speedy Pro vs. any other more-modern mechanical movement watch for this type of activity. If there ARE meaningful differences between watches/movements in this regard, I'd love to learn more about them?

·
Registered
986 Posts
FWIW, I had a springbar give out on my PloProf 1200m a few years ago, as I was watching my daughter play soccer, it fell from my wrist onto a padded artificial turf (blades of plastic 'grass' with a thick layer of fine rubber granules between) surface, and the impact tangled the hairspring, causing it to run several hours fast a day.

A trip to the local Omega boutique here in Seattle, which conveniently houses Omega's US boutique service center had it untangled and working right in a few days, at no cost to me.

Point being that even as beefy and 'durable' a watch as Ploprof is vulnerable to what 'should' have been a well-cushioned landing. It's the ultimate downfall of mechanical watches - there's a lot going on in there.

My tendency is to just accept that there's always a chance of killing a mechanical watch, even doing something very passive. At the same time, I could probably wear that PloProf every day for a decade of adventure sports, and it'll never miss a beat again (hopefully).

In the end, the only real choices are to wear your mechanical watch out and about, or just get a G-shock and never worry about it again.

Someone like Archer may have a different viewpoint, but other than water-resistance, I don't see a ton of difference in the suitability of Speedy Pro vs. any other more-modern mechanical movement watch for this type of activity. If there ARE meaningful differences between watches/movements in this regard, I'd love to learn more about them?
Spring bar issues are a valid point. My watches spend most of their time on zulus. The above picture on the bracelet was the only one I could find that did not violate the forum rules...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spring bar issues are a valid point. My watches spend most of their time on zulus. The above picture on the bracelet was the only one I could find that did not violate the forum rules...

Since I'm pretty new here... do watches on zulus violate the forum rules, or am I missing something more subtle? :think:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Justin
Mine has been all over the world.

The good thing about the speedy pro is that if you scratch the plexi you can polywatch it.

If you break it is cheap and easy to replace

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
196 Posts
Unless you plan something rougher than handling every test NASA can think of, blasting off, taking EVA's, walking on the surface of the moon, or surviving through the three day aftermath of a liquid oxygen tank explosion, I think you should be OK! o|

1 - 20 of 30 Posts