WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have bought and used only briefly 6 Speedmasters. 4 of them Pros. Just sold the last Pro. And a Schumacher auto Speedmaster. Keeping an uncommon gold and ss auto Speedy. Ownership was profitable but not practical. The pros are too clumsy for my use. The auto is ok and nobody else has one. It bothers me a little that the neat fine compact 321 movement was used in the big bulky pro case. I bought a big Navitimer. Nice, but only a profitable resale for me. The 321 with the compact Lemania case fits as it was originally designed and nice to use. Omega had some like this before the Pro. The purpose of this note is to explain that not all Omega appreciators are fanatic
about the big Speedmaster. Seems to me like everyone is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Why'd you buy four Speedmaster Professionals if you find them "clumsy"?

As for size, I actually find the 321/861/1861 to fit better in the Speedmaster, where the subdials don't crowd out hour markers.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After the first, simply nice objects and profitable. Happy buyers indicate general popularity. As a sort of a collector thought I ought to have one, but they sell well and they are easy to get. Cannot criticize the fine dial.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Speedmaster Pro is very nice, however, I would not commit to the periodic winding. It would just add one more thing to do/remember to an already busy lifestyle. I will consider it in 30 years though, when I retire.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Speedmaster Pro is very nice, however, I would not commit to the periodic winding. It would just add one more thing to do/remember to an already busy lifestyle. I will consider it in 30 years though, when I retire.
... which is why I happily own the Speedy Auto (aka the reduced) :-!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've just gone the other way, from a Speedy Auto-Date to a Pro. I wouldn't use the Pro as a daily beater, as I've got other more suitable beaters, but it's a lovely watch to wear in either smart or casual attire. The smaller Auto-Date was perhaps more practical, but the Pro has always been calling me and I finally took that call.

PS: I'm not keen on the gold/ss Speedy, Navitimer or the Lemania. We all have different tastes.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Speedmaster Pro on my wrist - but I like the history and movements. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and stumble across that rare 18K version from the early 70's for a great price. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If your life is so busy that you cannot commit to 30 seconds per day of periodic winding, you need to rearrange your priorities! Seriously, stress kills (very reliably and effectively, too).

Just a thought...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am all for efficiency. Why spend even 3 seconds a day, when an automatic watch can avoid you all of that trouble.

Over 5 years we are talking about 15 hours of one's life wasted turning a crown o|

If your life is so busy that you cannot commit to 30 seconds per day of periodic winding, you need to rearrange your priorities! Seriously, stress kills (very reliably and effectively, too).

Just a thought...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am all for efficiency. Why spend even 3 seconds a day, when an automatic watch can avoid you all of that trouble.

Over 5 years we are talking about 15 hours of one's life wasted turning a crown o|

Very true about stress though. Not cool.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
75 Posts

i have over 20 watches some cost over 16,000.00 and one cost 70.00 and i can tell you this the omega 1971 moon watch runs better than any watch i have or had and that watch got 3 men home from the moon so i would wind it knowing that i have a watch that did some thing that all watches wish thay could do. and it is all ways on time i need to be on time so 30 seconds and 40 hours later i will have to wind it come on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't mind winding mine...it's about 20 seconds of your time every two days...I can easily find that 20 seconds before I go to sleep

My Speedmaster Pro has been keeping excellent time by the way. Over the last four days, I'm only +1 total!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Everyone's tastes vary indeed...people's habits and lifestyles vary too! I quite like the speedy pro. Decided to buy a cheaper handwind watch to test out before spending bit for a speedy. Turns out the handwind thing just isn't for me. Either i'm constantly winding it and not paying attention to something else or my schedule is so hectic that I just lose track of the watch and forget to wind. I think as an occasional use watch I'd be fine with a handwind though.

NM

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Actually the winding of the watch is enjoyable to me and is a nice mechanical interaction. There is a satisfaction from it much like if you still drive stick. The manual transmission is of course completely obsolete nowadays but given the choice for a sports car, I would always pick a stick even if it makes me slower. The personal satisfaction from executing perfect rev matched downshifts in an M3 or S2000 is what life is all about.

In that same sort of way, providing the power for a finely made, historically significant mechanical device every 2 days is satisfying and I might even say something I look forward to doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no neophyte to technology. I'm a relatively young person in a very niche cutting edge field in tech but there's something nice about having on my wrist something so classic and timeless. (pun intended)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am sure there was a point to this post, but I just couldn't find it. One thing is clear, you own an expensive collection ;-).

As the title of the thread says, the Speedmaster Pro is nice, but the manual winding isn't for every body.

And I won't even go into the bogus "this watch went to the moon" stuff.

i have over 20 watches some cost over 16,000.00 and one cost 70.00 and i can tell you this the omega 1971 moon watch runs better than any watch i have or had and that watch got 3 men home from the moon so i would wind it knowing that i have a watch that did some thing that all watches wish thay could do. and it is all ways on time i need to be on time so 30 seconds and 40 hours later i will have to wind it come on.

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
Actually the winding of the watch is enjoyable to me and is a nice mechanical interaction. There is a satisfaction from it much like if you still drive stick. The manual transmission is of course completely obsolete nowadays but given the choice for a sports car, I would always pick a stick even if it makes me slower. The personal satisfaction from executing perfect rev matched downshifts in an M3 or S2000 is what life is all about.

In that same sort of way, providing the power for a finely made, historically significant mechanical device every 2 days is satisfying and I might even say something I look forward to doing.
Well said :-!

And I won't even go into the bogus "this watch went to the moon" stuff.
Bogus? As you say, the Speedy Pro is a matter of taste, so whether or not you like the history would be a matter of taste, so you saying "bogus" is curious.

Unless, of course, you are saying that the moon landing is bogus, that it didn't happen????? :roll: I suggest you don't start such a discussion (if one can call it that) on this forum. :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
661 Posts
Either i'm constantly winding it and not paying attention to something else
Why would you feel the need to constantly wind it? It's just something you do over breakfast or last thing at night. Doesn't matter if you forget occasionally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts