WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question. I got a Omega IV caliber 1045. My question is, what differs a Omega Speedmaster and a Omega Speedmaster Professional? My watch is not a professional and kinda curios on what makes it not eligble to be a professional.
As I have understood, the glas can be saphire or hesalite on both so except the option of having Hesalite glas on a pro, what else differs?

ps I know the professional is considered as the moon watch.

Would appreciate an answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you whitestripes, appreciate it.

So if I understand it right, the main difference is that the pro has a movement that Nasa has tested while all other "speedys" is not tested. Case, quality and everything else can be the same otherwise?

Thanks again

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thank you whitestripes, appreciate it.

So if I understand it right, the main difference is that the pro has a movement that Nasa has tested while all other "speedys" is not tested. Case, quality and everything else can be the same otherwise?

Thanks again
Quite a few of the automatic (non-Professional) ones are Reduced - smaller. Some like them smaller, that depends on your wrist.
I first bought the reduced, and felt I did not have THE Speedmaster. Now everything is different. I think the Speedy Pro is epic.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have a question. I got a Omega IV caliber 1045. My question is, what differs a Omega Speedmaster and a Omega Speedmaster Professional? My watch is not a professional and kinda curios on what makes it not eligble to be a professional.
As I have understood, the glas can be saphire or hesalite on both so except the option of having Hesalite glas on a pro, what else differs?

ps I know the professional is considered as the moon watch.

Would appreciate an answer.
The Mark IV has the classic Lemania 1345 movement which is known as one of the best most robust automatic chrono movements ever made.

The Professional is normally the one which is made to the same spec of the watch that is qualified by NASA to be worn on the moon. Of the current lineup the 3570.50 is the closest to the original. The one with the Sapphire crystal and display back is still called a professional even though I don't think it is flight qualified. http://www.omega.ch/index.php?id=303&pos=0&no_cache=1

The real modern Speedy Pro has a steel caseback, a hesalite crystal, is manual wind using the Lemania 1861. The real original is a model with the 321 movement as this was the specifed model that was actually used on the moon.

However, there are other Speedmasters that are not professionals (Broad arrow, anniversary models, co-ax)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts