WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Take part in a short activity and share your valuable opinion on new design concepts for AVSForum! >>> Click Here

Speedmaster reduced size

22696 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Maxwell00
Watch seek post

Hello all, first time poster/forum member, long time reader. Long story short, I thought I'd post some pictures of my Speedmaster reduced to show the realistic size and help people avoid the same mistake I made.

A bit of background: To start, I will say I personally don't care about the "history" of the moon watches (insert sound of pitchforks coming out). Not knocking those who do care, but in my eyes it's no reason to pick a new watch. It would be a cool reason to pick up a vintage, exact same model Speedmaster, but it doesn't affect my 2016 purchasing decisions. And I love the look of both watches. However about 1 week ago I purchased a 2013 Speedmaster 3539.50 model........And today I went down the street and got the Professional.

I have smaller wrists (6 3/4") and had success in the past with 38-40mm watches. This one is listed as around 39, and as you'll see below, that is technically true but not entirely useful information...

I'll start with the standard comparison pic:
(pending)

Now to my eyes, this picture and all similar comparisons I've seen makes the Pro model look very big and the reduced look "normal" size. However, the opposite is true. Below are some measurement photos. The primary surprise here is that the upper, highly visible, portion of the case measures 35.5mm (presumably the reason Omega has this listed on their site). And while I don't have super accurate tools, it appears the base of the case to the edge of the crown guard is where we get 39mm. All the posts saying that the Omega site listing was wrong had me thinking this top measurement would be 39mm. And their measurement is, IMO, the more important one.

Base measurement
(pending)

Zooming in a bit on the "results"
(pending)

Now for the real kicker. When I first opened the box I was shocked at how small the dial was. Because of the chronograph bezel you lose more space than usual off of that already small-ish 35.5mm. So I measured actual dial space. And it looks like roughly 28mm...
(pending)

(pending)

For one final comparison, here's the reduced next to a "38mm" Rado Coupole Classic Auto. (A beautiful watch that I can't wear as much as I want because it just refuses to dress down well, even with the bracelet) Link here - (pending). You'll see that the Rado seems to dwarf the reduced despite having a listed measurement of 1mm less.

(pending)

I suppose there's a lot to be said here about trying watches on first, or in using some more common sense than trusting in a singular number. But regardless, I made the mistake and surely someone else may too. The reduced is a wonderful watch, but just too small for me personally. As I said above, I made this post because I wound up getting one, sight unseen, since it's no longer manufactured and Iwas unable to locate one in person. So time to gift or sell the reduced. I hope someone else finds some use out of this info. Take care

Edit: Spent 25 min drafting this only to find out I can't upload photos.
o| Perhaps a mod can grant permission? It doesn't even say how many posts you need just "greater"
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
The Speedy Pro at 42mm wears smaller because of the bezel and the crown guards. It can definitely be worn by those of us with smaller wrists. However, the Speedy Reduced wears perfectly for those with a <7" wrist I think - don't consider mine too small. The Carrera reissue is 35.5mm diameter and wears noticeably smaller than the Speedy. A couple of shots for comparison...

39mm Speedy

35.5mm Carrera

See less See more
Reactions: 1
Nice pics. Love that Tag. I have quite flat wrists myself so I can tend to get away with somewhat longer watches. Although I prefer the size stated as above.
Aw that's too bad. I'm sorry you didn't like it, I can imagine it must feel pretty bad getting something and not being happy with it. Hopefully it either grows on you or you have good luck selling it.

You make a good point about seeing something in person before buying it. I know you mentioned you couldn't see this one, and that's one of the reasons I have been avoiding GS, there's nowhere around me to see one.

Edit: oh yeah, also I don't know how many posts you need to be able to post pictures, but you could always put them on a site like photobucket and then you can have them shown in your posts right away.
Rule number one in watching buying. Try it on if you can before you buy. Seems you learned that one the hard way;-) But of course sizing is a preference from person to person. Thought the reduced is very nice, there's simply no comparison between the 2. The 42mm of the Pro is the perfect, sweet spot size imo.

Congrats on the grabbing the Professional! Wear it in good health!
The pro is definitely a good enough size to fit smaller wrists.
My wrist stands at only 6.2" and my 3570 fits like a glove.

Anyway, my only gripe with the reduced is...the further than usual distance between the subdials.
It just looks totally off.
The pro is definitely a good enough size to fit smaller wrists.
My wrist stands at only 6.2" and my 3570 fits like a glove.

Anyway, my only gripe with the reduced is...the further than usual distance between the subdials.
It just looks totally off.
Not every smaller wrist.

My wrist is about 7 inches but I found the Pro to wear quite flat and long. I'm surprised to hear the lugs aren't overhanging your 7 inch wrist.

Here's the reduced on a 7 inch wrist
See less See more
By my measurements the 'highly visible top part' is 36.7mm and the case diameter is 38.9mm.

The case diameter is how pretty much all watches are measured. It's more a lesson that all watches should be tried on in person where possible (not just the Speedy Reduced)

See less See more
Reactions: 2
Nice pics. Love that Tag.
Thanks, and yes it's my favourite watch I think. Interestingly, it has the same manual wind Lemania-based movement as the Speedy Pro moonwatch :)
By my measurements the 'highly visible top part' is 36.7mm and the case diameter is 38.9mm.

The case diameter is how pretty much all watches are measured. It's more a lesson that all watches should be tried on in person where possible (not just the Speedy Reduced)
Brad, thanks for the corrected measurements. You've got the better tools! :-!

And you are correct. My post centered around the reduced simply because that was the one I made the error on. And because I couldn't find this info anywhere while I was researching.
Pictures attached now :)

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.