WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may remember, last week I posted the purchase of my first Speedmaster 3570.50 that i got from a forum member. A rattle was noticed and i found that the internal cover that holds down the movement was missing. A new one arrived this past Monday and upon having it properly installed, I find that the watch continues to gain well over a minute every 24 hours. I ask the seller to either give me a refund or to pay to have the watch calibrated. He tells me to be happy with my purchase and enjoy. I would appreciate any thoughts you fellow forum members might have regarding this matter. Thank you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I recently traded for a 2254.50. It was said that the watch was serviced, case polished, movement serviced. Well soon after I got the watch I noticed the bezel was higher on one side when i pushed down the bezel came off. Well I contacted the shop and the person I traded with. The owner agreed to pay for the parts to get it fixed. The orginal owner should stand behind what they sold. They sold a watch that was missing parts from what I gather. I would see if the original owner will pay for the repairs, if not put him on the bad boys list.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I bought an SMP a while back at what I thought was a good price, but it turned out that the movement was running at about +30sec/day, the instant date change didnt work, and the manual winding didnt work. The good deal didn't seem like such a good deal anymore. The watch was sold as running in good condition. I contacted the seller, and he said he might be able to help with the service cost. I'm going to send it in for service in about two weeks, and I hope the seller is good for it!

These things happen, hopefully the seller stands behind the original description.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You say you bought a used mechanical watch on a watch forum (at what I imagine a significant savings over a new watch) and it isn't keeping COSC spec's even if the watch isn't COSC rated? Yes I read your posts with the dust cover and all, you claimed you were reimbursed for the dust cover by the seller for that.
Then your expecting a full refund or at the very least a service/calibration from the seller???

What will be next a new set of tires on your vehicle because the watch is worn in it during the daily commute.

I mean REALLY !!!! I'm sorry I just don't see it and yes I agree with the seller Enjoy the watch don't be nit-pickey with it. Looks to me he's tried to satisfy your objections unless of course your sales ad stated BNIB or LNIB. On the bright side this seller wasn't anywhere near the calibre of Ajp.

I've bought a watch from a noted seller and when the watch came in it was competely DEAD, I contacted him and his reply honest to god was this. ' You need to give it a good wind and wait for the oils to warm up.' So a watch that supposed to be 'running good and keeping good time.' Can include a watch that WILL need service just to get it running.

You wind a speedy every day, if your looking for quartz timing on a mechanical, I honestly don't know what else to tell you except Be Happy with what you have!

Regards,
sixties!

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
The very first watch I sold on WUS was a 2254.50. To make a long story short, one of the lume markers was slightly flawed, and the guy went nutjob on me. What's worse, he started a thread about his displeasure without ever contacting me.:-s I contacted him, and instructed him to return the watch for a full refund. I then resold it to another forum member who was happy to get a 2254.50 in such great shape, at a great price. He didn't mind the flaw, and said if I hadn't told him about it, he would never have noticed it. Then I sold my 36mm quartz AT to a forum member, who excitedly anticipated its arrival. After wearing it for a few days, he IM'd me, said he realized the size wasn't really his cup of tea, and would I please take it back, and refund him??!!o| My point is that if you buy a used watch, you should realize it's not perfect, and factor in a service cost after you get it. Also, "buyer's remorse" is not cool in WUS transactions. Thankfully, my more recent sales on WUS were to happy campers. Now, about your Speedy,..... I have a used Speedy Pro, which I paid to have fully serviced at an authorized Omega service center, right after I got it (busted mainspring), and I've never even checked its accuracy, because it's not a COSC movement. When I check the time, I know it's close enough. I agree wih my fellow Garden Stater. Just enjoy your Speedy already! :-!

;-) KAT

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am a relatively new member, start with that. I did my research and required forum reading and searches. Found the FAD and well recommended ebay sellers. I have done a lot of second hand buying and selling on the motorcycle forums and only recently started to delve into the watch world. So, IMO, when buying a second hand watch from a private seller it is "buyer beware". Unless the advertisement or watch grossly deviates from each other a buyer can not reasonably expect a private seller to behave as a business. That being said a seller should always act reasonably and prudently to represent things as they are, as well as to establish and protect their reputation. In my recent experience a Speedy Pro purchased from an ebay seller had a ding in the bezel not readily apparent in the posting photos. The watch box back side (not photographed) was pretty beat up. When I got the watch it functioned well, power reserve, chrono functions, but it gained about 30 seconds in 24 hours. Since the seller provides his own 3 month warranty I sent the watch back to be adjusted. I also mentioned the box. The ding I accept as part of purchasing a used watch. The lack of extra links (which were not pictured, so not included) never occurred to me until after the transaction. Thankfully the bracelet fit. In a private sale it is absolutely the buyers responsibility to understand the limitations of a private, as is, no warranty sale. Also I agree the is no room for buyers remorse. You had better know what you are getting ahead of time. If you want to try things on go to a retailer or show and browse around seeing how things look on your wrist. IMO it is completely unreasonable to expect AD behavior from a private seller or grey market seller, there is always an inherent risk in those transactions. A buyer should know their own tolerance for such risks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that have replied so far, i really appreciate the input. No, I do not have buyers remorse, nor do I expect a new set of tires. Yes, I feel truly blessed that i did not suffer the wrath of Ajp. I suppose it really comes down to this. If someone promotes a watch by telling you that it has had a recent service and that it is in great running condition; does +75 seconds per 24 hours constitute "great running" condition? I try and play fair, I'm not a sore loser and I certainly don't want to black list anyone unjustly. I would just like to know what the rules are before we start the game.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Unless the sale was misrepresented I'd say you are being over demanding towards the seller. I bought a 68 speedy about 6 months ago that had a chrono hour creep. Watch was sold as recently serviced and I know that the creep is an easy adjustment. So I send the watch to Dalton for the adjustment and he tells me the movement needs serviced as it has too much oil in it. It had been serviced as it was clean but too much oil was used. Was the sale misrepresented? No as it had been serviced. Did I demand recourse from the seller? No. I bit the bullet and had it serviced.

If you want a sale with warranty type coverage I suggest buying new or one with it's factory warranty still.

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
This what always kept of my buying from the internet, big words like great condition and keeps good time when in fact, it is rarely the case, no thank you. I buy what I see with my own eyes and is tested on the vibrograph regarding the accuracy. Big words and false promises, I am not into that.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sorry, but +75sec/day is not "great" running condition. I would be upset as well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think most decent sellers on here would offer money back or to pay for a service if the watch was found to be this fast.

I would, and when I bought my '67 Speedy off a fellow WUSer, it came with exactly that guarantee - written in an email - and I believe he would still honour that even now.

I dont think the OP is being unreasonable, indeed I remember the original thread about the dust cover and I storngly urged the OP to seek a full refund there and then, but he was decent enough at that stage to plump for a quick fix.

I think the OP has been MORE than patient with this seller and deserves better for his money.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I think most decent sellers on here would offer money back or to pay for a service if the watch was found to be this fast.

I would, and when I bought my '67 Speedy off a fellow WUSer, it came with exactly that guarantee - written in an email - and I believe he would still honour that even now.

I dont think the OP is being unreasonable, indeed I remember the original thread about the dust cover and I storngly urged the OP to seek a full refund there and then, but he was decent enough at that stage to plump for a quick fix.

I think the OP has been MORE than patient with this seller and deserves better for his money.
+1 ... I agree with Adrian.

I think the standards should be higher in this forum.
Maybe I could be accused of being being slightly naive. However, I think that we care that little bit more about our purchases.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think i would've blacklisted the seller just for the fact that he sold you an incomplete watch.
WTF? who sells a watch without the dust cover?
I'm sorry for your problems man, it definitely doesn not sound like "recent service - great running condition".

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks to all that have replied so far, i really appreciate the input. No, I do not have buyers remorse, nor do I expect a new set of tires. Yes, I feel truly blessed that i did not suffer the wrath of Ajp. I suppose it really comes down to this. If someone promotes a watch by telling you that it has had a recent service and that it is in great running condition; does +75 seconds per 24 hours constitute "great running" condition? I try and play fair, I'm not a sore loser and I certainly don't want to black list anyone unjustly. I would just like to know what the rules are before we start the game.
I agree that +75 seconds is not great running condition. Also that condition does not represent a recent, properly done service, IMO. I would communicate with the seller. If there is no satisfaction, go public, get the watch serviced to acceptable standards, and chock it up to experience.
Purchasing on the internet I equate to hand shake deals when a man stood by his word. If the seller won't make it right when it is blatantly wrong, time to let others know.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I went and read your first thread and I would have returned the watch after that first issue. It has raised some "red flags" IMO.

1. You say in that thread that the watch was service by Omega last August. Where is the paperwork to show this? Omega has a 2 yr. service warranty on all watches.
  2. Jeweler removed the movement when the watch was "polished" and is missing a part (for those who say that the jeweler was not good because they forgot to put the dust cover in needs to take a breath as you remove the movement to polish a case). This more then likely casued the watch to run out of time.

My big question is: Where is the Omega service paperwork? If the seller didn't send it and doesn't have it, you should automatically assume the seller is embellishing (at the minimum) about this and the watch wasn't serviced by Omega in August of last year.

If that is the case, there is no limit to what could have been embellished. That includes taking it to a local watchmaker/jeweler to have it polished and the dust cover forgotten. More then likely you need to assume the watch was polished by the same guy who did the service last August.

Put two and two together and you should have returned it when you got it. Now, you've had it for a bit. IMO, you could be stuck with it.

Did you not wear the watch till the part came in? If you did, did you not notice the time loss before now? If it wasn't loosing time before now, welcome to the world of used watches. Similar to the world of used cars. Just because it worked when you bought it doesn't mean it will continue to work the same way a week later.

If you didn't wear the watch till the part came in and have noticed the time loss since you started wearing it, stop dickering around with the seller. Request a refund (not demand) and if he is unwilling to do it, post his name here so that he can be lamblasted for selling you a lame duck and not willing to own up to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is the whole reason why I don't like to buy certain things used. It's one thing if you are buying local, but buying used over the internet, you take your chances. Depending on what you payed for your watch, you could have probably added a little more money and bought brand new (and piece of mind).

·
Registered
491 Posts
I purchased a pre-owned Speedy Reduced earlier this year which ran fine for me and was near 100% cosmetically.

I sold it on and when the buyer received it, it was not running at which time I offered him an immediate refund. However, we agreed to send it to a watchmaker I had just started using; his initial report said that it required repairs and a service which I offered to pay for, at this point the buyer asked for a refund as he did not which to wait for the work to be done and I refunded him as promised.

Finally, I was informed that the watch was ready but that other than a service no repairs had been required. When I received the watch back, the hesalite was badly scratched and there were large pieces of what looked like thread under the crystal one of which look like it was going underneath the dial. It was duly sent back to have these defects rectified.

Also, I had to send my five-year old SMP 2531 (also a recent pre-owned purchase) back to the same watchmaker, as there was debris below the crystal, marks on the dial and what appeared to be a scratch on the minute hand after he had serviced it.

Both watches came back perfect having being cleaned and re-serviced. The watchmaker who carried out both services is highly thought of by many members of various watch forums.

I have two other recently purchased Omegas, a SMP 2594.52 which is under four years old and a 70’s Seamaster Comic 2000, both will be being serviced later this year even though one is less than five years old and the other, the Cosmic was supposed to have been serviced recently before being sold, but unlike my watches there is no paper work to support this.

If I sell any of my watches, I will include the receipts for the new parts I have purchased for the various watches and the receipts for the services, having first taken copies for my records.

Brian

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Buyer beware, but shame on the seller who doesn't disclose all the details. I think you should have been told you were buying a fixer-upper. I don't agree with buyers just randomly changing their minds or changing because they made an impulse buy, but in a case where the buyer received a watch with undisclosed problems which may or not be indicative of further undisclosed problems, I think the buyer is entitled to a refund and a good seller would agree to a refund, rather than trying to "counsel" the buyer to just be happy with his watch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received the watch on Tuesday afternoon July 27th. The first thing i did was wind the watch to see how the chronograh functions work. This is the first chronograph I have ever owned . After this i went to try on the watch to see how it fit. This is when I noticed the bracelet was put on backwards. It was when i was changing the bracelet that I could feel something inside the watch was moving. I took the back cover off and this is when I saw the missing internal cover. I contacted the seller to tell him about the missing cover and this was his reply "A dust/anti-magnetic cover is new to me. Is it some kind of storage case that watch is put in?" At this point I should have ask for a refund but I felt in my heart that his answer then would be the same as it is now "No". When he learned that the cover was only $14.95 plus shipping he agreed to credit me $25. That evening, I sent a PM to another member asking about the cover and also a question about the clasp. He urged me to post my concerns on the forum. The next morning Wednesday the 28th I did and this is when I learned how important that cover is in keeping the movement stationary. The watch sat on my desk until the new cover arrived. The watch was not worn nor was it checked for accuracy at this point. When the new cover came in on Monday August 2nd, I took the watch to a local repair guy to make sure that both covers were properly installed. I brought the watch home and fully wound it and set the time. The next day I noticed the large gain in time and I emailed the seller requesting either a refund or to pay for calibration. His answer was/is "No". I do have a receipt from J.Anthony Jewelers for $433.75 dated August 28 2009. It is supposed to be the receipt where the previous owner had a full service. The receipt only states that the watch was sent to Omega. If the watch is still under warranty, would it be ethical of me to claim it after knowing what the other jeweler who polished the watch did? One last thing, I asked the seller to please give me the name of the jeweler that did the polishing so i could speak with them. This was his answer:
"I'm sorry but that I won't do. I do a lot of business with them(buying watches & refinishing) and the lady was starting to get irritated with my probing so I don't want to inflame my relationship with them any further. My guess is she did forget to put the cover on & is denying it to save face."

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Good morning, Trey. Sorry I was a little hard on you. I can't help it: I from "New Jersey: where the weak are killed and eaten":-d After rereading all of your posts on this matter, I've decided that you've been "too tolerant" from the beginning of this transaction. As soon as you discovered the missing dust cover ...... (you know the rest.) At this point the seller has convinced himself that he's been more than fair. If you can send it for an Omega warranty service, do it. You're asking for a recalibration. There is no way to know whether the jeweler's lack of care affected the watch's accuracy. Since you're convinced the selller won't refund you, It's time to make lemons into lemonade. When you buy a used mechanical watch, you should always assume it will require a service. The mere fact that it's shipped, possibly mishandled, exposed to extreme temps in the cargo hold of an airplane, etc., etc., could all affect calibation. In fact, given the missing dust cover, this is "a very likely scenario" in the case of YOUR Speedy. Contact the seller one more time and respectfully request a full refund. If he refuses, make some lemonade!:roll:

;-) KAT

P.S. You made me laugh out loud yesterday with your response to my comment.:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts