WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow WIS,

need some advice on a 3590.50 speedy i'm about to purchase from a respected member on the Omega forums.
I've been offered a 442xxx serial, circa '83, '84 speedy for a very reasonable price.

Now, only thing that's been eating at me is the lumes on the dial. Everything else about the watch seems to check out for its age.
To me, the lumes still present as new for a vintage watch. I initially assumed the lack of exposure to UV has kept the markers patina-free but after reading up more, the general consensus is that patina develops from tritium half life degradation instead.

I've already contacted the seller but thought I'd also seek the opinion of WUS while waiting on his response.

I'm actually a big advocate of patina, so i'll be sorely disappointed if the conclusion is that the watch has indeed been relumed.

These are the best 4 pictures of the watch I have featuring the dial, and would appreciate any seasoned responses that follow.

Thanks!

IMG-20160120-WA0003.jpg IMG-20160118-WA0012.jpg IMG-20160118-WA0011.jpg

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well you don't often see "lume" and "Speedy Pro" in the same sentence, but I think it's quite possible that the hands were replaced at some point rather than re-lumed. I don't think that would substantially affect the value of the watch. If you really cared, though, you could probably swap the hands to someone with a similar vintage watch to eliminate the lume. :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Re-lumed or re-dialed? I would think one or the other. Looks a little too fresh for that vintage.

The only question for me would be whether it's OEM (not that I'm suggesting the seller is not forthcoming, or ignorant, I have no clue - my opinion is based solely on the dial's appearance).

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Sometimes they are green like that, and not the more yellow colour people prefer. I don't think the dial has been relumed, and a new dial would not have Tritium indicated on it...

If you put the watch under a light and it glows for more than a few seconds, then the lume is newer.

From what I can see it looks fine, but if it's not what you want, don't buy it.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm actually more concerned with the relume being a fresh application of superluminova or the like. i'm happy with the way it looks now IF it was the original dial with tritium markers and hands. i'm sure if it was tritium, my continued enjoyment and usage of the watch over the next 20-30 years *could* age it to yellow-brown that I prefer. If however, it was a superluminova re lume, all hope is lost.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Did a little more digging with some very fruitful results. Further research indicates the early 80s 3590.50 were still using 'leftover' parts from the post moon transitional series this 44 mill serial piece in particular has ST145.022 stamped no date

Apparently the 145.022s were known to produce some green patina lumes. Seen here:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-speedmaster-145-022-69-st.28144/

and another '84 3590.50
https://omegaforums.net/threads/1984-omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-145-022-on-strap.27358/

looks closely similar to my soon to be speedy. lume on hands match the markers on dial, so i'm one happy camper. i'm still hoping my prolonged usage and exposure to UV will age it to a more yellow/brown in the not so distant future :). Until then, the mild green lumes on the white hands does make it look like a modern day 3570.50, so no complaints. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi there. I sent you a PM.

Did a little more digging with some very fruitful results. Further research indicates the early 80s 3590.50 were still using 'leftover' parts from the post moon transitional series this 44 mill serial piece in particular has ST145.022 stamped no date

Apparently the 145.022s were known to produce some green patina lumes. Seen here:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-speedmaster-145-022-69-st.28144/

and another '84 3590.50
https://omegaforums.net/threads/1984-omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-145-022-on-strap.27358/

looks closely similar to my soon to be speedy. lume on hands match the markers on dial, so i'm one happy camper. i'm still hoping my prolonged usage and exposure to UV will age it to a more yellow/brown in the not so distant future :). Until then, the mild green lumes on the white hands does make it look like a modern day 3570.50, so no complaints. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts