WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry to resurrect this topic, but I visited my AD today to try on the 3861 (hesalite) and was very disappointed by the quality of the bracelet. The complaints about sharp edges and hair pulling are valid. Furthermore, the bracelet feels flimsy and there's a noticeable gap between the end link and the case.

I also own a relatively new AT and I have to say the quality of the AT's bracelet is miles ahead of the 3861. No sharp edges, no gaps and it feels solid.

In all other respect I think the 3861 is a huge upgrade over the previous model and I absolutely love it. However, the bracelet is a let down and as someone who prefers a bracelet over a strap, this is enough to turn me off buying the watch.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I tried again the 3861 Saphire in the Omega Boutique in Sydney yesterday, and there was no issue for me. No sharp edges at all, and no pulling hair.
If anything the SMP 300 Diver I own is way sharper actually.

So it seems really like some people are more sensitive than others... unless some bracelets have an actual issue.

But I tried the bracelet twice so far, and couldn't feel any issue for me.

I also own an AT8500 and PO2500. The bracelet of the 3861 was one of the most comfortable one I ever tried, and much lighter than other 3 Omega watches I own.
The finish was excellent on the one I tried.

Just my personal experience of course and all this is probably very subjective.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Aside from the bracelet, some also noted that the edges of the case especially the lug ends appear to be sharp.

I am yet to try one as there’s none available yet these days where I’m at. They are almost always spoken for and are bought and purchased almost immediately at MSRP.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Aside from the bracelet, some also noted that the edges of the case especially the lug ends appear to be sharp.

I am yet to try one as there’s none available yet these days where I’m at. They are almost always spoken for and are bought and purchased almost immediately at MSRP.
They had both hesalite and Saphire on display in the boutique yesterday and they had stock of both. And they had all versions on bracelet as well as straps.

I didn’t notice any issue with the sharpness of the case either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
I've owned both the sapphire and hesalite of the new model. No noticeable sharpness on the case, and found the new bracelet to be a huge improvement over the previous generation. Love the taper and the weight felt just right for a Speedy.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have the hesalite. The case is exactly as sharp as the BB58's I have handled. As for the bracelet, there is no sharpness or hair pulling. It is extremely comfortable, not the most comfortable I have owned but close. Looks wise it is tough to beat, they nailed it in the looks deparment.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
+1. Having worn my older Speedy on the 1171 almost exclusively, the new bracelet is a great upgrade over the previous generation. No hair pulling here.

I have the hesalite. The case is exactly as sharp as the BB58's I have handled. As for the bracelet, there is no sharpness or hair pulling. It is extremely comfortable, not the most comfortable I have owned but close. Looks wise it is tough to beat, they nailed it in the looks deparment.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was hesitant to purchase the bracelet based on all the controversy surrounding the sharp edges and I’m glad I read the opinions of some trusted members here and had the opportunity to try it on. It really is a very comfortable bracelet and well finished . Omega really did well with this one .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I was hesitant to purchase the bracelet based on all the controversy surrounding the sharp edges and I’m glad I read the opinions of some trusted members here and had the opportunity to try it on. It really is a very comfortable bracelet and well finished . Omega really did well with this one .
From the looks of your picture it looks like there is a very different finish of the case vs. the bracelet. Is the finishing of the new Speedy's bracelet and case that dramatically different in person?

·
Registered
153 Posts
From the looks of your picture it looks like there is a very different finish of the case vs. the bracelet. Is the finishing of the new Speedy's bracelet and case that dramatically different in person?
No In person it’s not that dramatic but some pictures make it look so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sorry to resurrect this topic, but I visited my AD today to try on the 3861 (hesalite) and was very disappointed by the quality of the bracelet. The complaints about sharp edges and hair pulling are valid. Furthermore, the bracelet feels flimsy and there's a noticeable gap between the end link and the case.

I also own a relatively new AT and I have to say the quality of the AT's bracelet is miles ahead of the 3861. No sharp edges, no gaps and it feels solid.

In all other respect I think the 3861 is a huge upgrade over the previous model and I absolutely love it. However, the bracelet is a let down and as someone who prefers a bracelet over a strap, this is enough to turn me off buying the watch.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Youre not alone. In January, I had the chance to take a quick look at the 3861, as I had just purchased a 1861 at an OB. I was also disappointed in how feminine the bracelet felt, as well as the exaggerated taper. The finish difference between the case and bracelet was off-putting as well. I’d say the case, and watch itself was a significant leap forward, the step dial was striking.

Every one has their own opinion, and many rave about the 3861 bracelet. I guess either I had higher expectations, or it wasn’t all that for me. As a given, the 1861 bracelet was in need of an update, I’d have expected something along the lines of the flat segment bracelets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up the new bracelet from an AD, got the shiney center link one that would go on the sapphire version even though I have hesalite
I love the bracelet, super comfortable, wraps around the wrist better,

The previous is more heavy duty, and I like it.
But this new one is here to stay
No discomfort, no issues for me

·
Registered
617 Posts
Does anyone know or have experience with the new bracelet on the previous generation case? Looks like a significant upgrade to me!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
In January, I had an opportunity to purchase any one of: discontinued 1861 hesalite, the discontinued 1863 sapphire (both new old stock), or the new 3861. I had owned the 1861, previously.

I was very curious regarding forum complaints surrounding 3861 sharp case edges on the lugs, sharp link edges on the bracelet - I didn’t find them so, seriously, zero issues. However, there are numerous complaints and one would have to give credence - for some, the design is an issue.

Totally subjective:

I really wanted the discontinued Lemania-based movement so my bias was formed toward the 1861/63 model. A huge factor in my decision to purchase the discontinued 1863 was, in fact, the bracelet. I like to wear watches in their dead-stock, unchanged, factory state and I do favor bracelets over straps for this type of watch. New 3861 bracelet versus 1861/63 bracelet: zero comfort issues for me. Appearance and feel: I don’t care for the new, super-thin, super-tapered bracelet. It’s not my preference aesthetically or in the tactile sense. Totally subjective…

1863 offered for comparison:

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is exactly what I did, not sure I'll call it an upgrade. The previous braclet is more robust.
I do "prefer" the new one, think it's more comfortable, and that's what I have on there now.

Does anyone know or have experience with the new bracelet on the previous generation case? Looks like a significant upgrade to me!

·
Registered
966 Posts
It's crazy because I could not disagree more with the OP's statement. As a 3861 Hesalite owner, this bracelet is amazing. It's literally the reason I bought the watch. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's crazy because I could not disagree more with the OP's statement. As a 3861 Hesalite owner, this bracelet is amazing. It's literally the reason I bought the watch. Different strokes for different folks.
Same here. Mine just arrived today and I find it to be both way more attractive than the previous generation and very comfortable as well. The only issue I have with it is that janky end link/micro-adjustment. Luckily, my sizing allows me to use the inner clasp adjustment hole so it looks "right." I would be pretty bummed if it didn't.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks, Rick. I appreciate your thought. One last question, how do the end links fit on the old case? Any pictures you'd be willing to provide would be very appreciate.

This is exactly what I did, not sure I'll call it an upgrade. The previous braclet is more robust.
I do "prefer" the new one, think it's more comfortable, and that's what I have on there now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts