WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just wondering does anyone use their Speedy as their dress watch?

Having a small 3 watch collection I find it a bit pointless having a dedicated dress watch as I don't really dress up that often.

That's why I rock my speedy instead.

I'm just curious to know that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Sure it can, it looks great on brown or black alligator.

Reactions: Buschyfor3

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
These days I can't imagine the Speedy not being suitable as a dress watch but the dressiest of events, e.g. white tie. I was just thinking about this earlier today actually.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey all,

Just wondering does anyone use their Speedy as their dress watch?

Having a small 3 watch collection I find it a bit pointless having a dedicated dress watch as I don't really dress up that often.
It depends what do you mean "dress". I own a Speedmaster (a Mk40) and I certainly wear it to office with shirt and tie. I may wear it on a dark suit (depending on other details) or tuxedo. I won't wear it on a clear suit or to a more formal event (i.e. a friend's wedding). Except on job attire, always on its steel bracelet.

I also own two "dress" (and vintage, from the early sixties) watches: a full gold one and a steel case one. The thing you may not be too aware of is how easily those watches "dress down", after all, back then they were not "dress watches" but "just watches": you can perfectly wear them on jeans and t-shirt so, of course, you don't need to buy another watch if you don't want to, but feel confident that if you buy it, you can easily find chances to wear them (certainly, I do).

PS: Also note that "dress" doesn't need to mean "expensive". My two "dress" watches (a Longines Conquest and an Omega Constellation) I reckon to be perfectly suited to the "dress" task and yet, them both together took me less than the Speedmaster alone.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
I wore mine at a wedding. Bracelet and all. Looked awesome with my navy blue suit.

Reactions: kdtri1

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wore mine to a wedding as well...albino dial on black croc strap. Don’t pay attention to the nay sayers, wear what you like!

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
The Speedmaster is the essence of a tool watch so no, it's not a dress watch. Even if worn with a suit, you'll look like a guy wearing a tool watch with a suit. It's not something I'd do but it happens enough that you won't likely raise any eyebrows by doing it.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
3,557 Posts
Sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wore a omega speedmaster aventurine to my brother's wedding - so the answer is most definitely yes. My other brother wore a classic speedmaster to the wedding as well so double yes.

Reactions: kdtri1

·
Registered
905 Posts
Everyone is going to have different opinions on this matter so it’s going to be up to you. If you don’t dress up as much, I would just put the speedy on a crocodile strap.

Me personally, I wouldn’t wear a speedy with a suit. Maybe the FOIS would be okay.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Think back to earlier generations, where guys owned one watch and wore it for every type of situation or occasion. Sure, a 1962 Seamaster or Speedmaster may not have been ideal for a day at the beach, or laps in a pool, but I’d be fairly certain that these kinds of watches were worn for any and every activity in between. I’d imagine that somebody with a Speedmaster in the 1960s would have worn their Speedmaster to a formal function or event, because it just may have been the only watch that they owned.

·
Registered
GS SBGH267, GO PanoMaticInverse, Rolex Day Date 118238, Rolex Explorer 2 16570, JLC Master Control
179 Posts
These days any watch thats not an apple watch is a dress watch. Speedies can easily fit under a cuff, so I think its a fantastic dress watch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seems to me anything goes these days. Last wedding I went to I was really surprised doing my "watch spotting", seemed like I was the only one there that had bothered with an actual dress watch (although I guess like my own there could have been more as small dress watches tend to stay under the shirt cuff). I noticed at least 2 G-Shocks and several large fashion watch (probably Armani) chronographs, a couple of Rolex subs and a Seamaster.

I think you could wear a Speedmaster for anything today, especially if you dress it up a bit with a nice strap. Chances are nobody really cares.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
In these years watches that are 5k + are now suddenly a dress watch.
People easily wear their Rolex DeepSea (which looks ridicules) to weddings and black tie events because it costs a lot of money.

So yes, I'd say the Speedy is less offensive than a massive Rolex diver.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not a dress watch.

Doesn't mean you can't wear it with a suit if that's what you want to do, but just because its nice/other people wear more inappropriate watches with a suit, it doesn't redefine a speedy as a dress watch.

I wear my sports coat with jeans, doesn't make the pair of jeans dress pants either.

·
Registered
510 Posts
In these years watches that are 5k + are now suddenly a dress watch.
People easily wear their Rolex DeepSea (which looks ridicules) to weddings and black tie events because it costs a lot of money.
Exactly this. It's expensive, therefore it's the proper outfit for occasions to show how much can I expend on "feathers". Up to each one how tasteful is this approach.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts