WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I work in a business casual work setting so my Speedy is right at home here. For suit and tie situations I have two tonneau shaped chronographs which I use as my "dress" watches. That said, I think the rules of attire have greatly relaxed since I started work decades ago and chronographs pair well with suit and tie in this day and age.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
For years I have worn a SMP as a dress watch.

Do I care if someone thinks its not a proper dress watch? N_O_P_E

I really don't give flying f' especially in this day and age when people are wearing white bottom shoes on weddings.

I'll quote a rep at a high end boutique I was shopping at long time ago. I commented how brown shoes are a no go with Navy suit, to which he replied, "says who?" I said "Isn't that a known fact?". He shook his head and said, "C'mon man, white boys don't know how to dress."

My brothers and friend who were with me also laughed hard. We still laugh about it to this day.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Yes'm please, and if I have to I will wear a dress.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't use is specifically as my "dress watch", but I wear it with a suit all the time. Looks great!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

I really don't give flying f' especially in this day and age when people are wearing white bottom shoes on weddings.

I'll quote a rep at a high end boutique I was shopping at long time ago. I commented how brown shoes are a no go with Navy suit, to which he replied, "says who?" I said "Isn't that a known fact?". He shook his head and said, "C'mon man, white boys don't know how to dress."

My brothers and friend who were with me also laughed hard. We still laugh about it to this day.
I’m in the camp of brown shoes only with a navy suit I really can’t stand how the navy blue and black clashes IMO, it’s like they’re trying to match but don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
3,554 Posts
That's a very good looking strap sir ! May I ask the name and where you got it from ?
Thanks
Thierry
It is isn't it! A bespoke number. Very pricy but it's also alligator rather than made to look like. I'll message you details. We all want something a bit different to everything else out there. When you find it, it doesn't make sense to tell everyone about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I think even among more fashion forward folks, the Speedmaster is more than acceptable as a dress watch. In fact, I think it's arguably better to dress up than basically any Rolex and definitely better than a Seamaster.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
I have, when I only had 2 watches .... I have even worn my Doxa SUB1200T DWL to a wedding - goes really well with my navy blue suit. These days, I use one of my dress watches, though. It has been said already, don't overthink it, you may be the only one aware / noticing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Think back to earlier generations, where guys owned one watch and wore it for every type of situation or occasion. Sure, a 1962 Seamaster or Speedmaster may not have been ideal for a day at the beach, or laps in a pool, but I’d be fairly certain that these kinds of watches were worn for any and every activity in between. I’d imagine that somebody with a Speedmaster in the 1960s would have worn their Speedmaster to a formal function or event, because it just may have been the only watch that they owned.
Yes I was thinking the exact same thought as well. Most men back then probably would have been a one watch guy so would most likely wear their one watch everywhere.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I guess my original post wasn't to try and reclassify the Speedy as a dress watch.

It is and will always be a tool watch.

But let's say you only have a couple of watches (a speedy and a dive watch).

Would you wear the speedy with a suit to a formal occasion or not wear a watch at all because you don't have a 'dress watch'??

This post was just a bit of fun. At the end of the day you should just wear whatever you like.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Isn't it black shoes that are a no with navy?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Correct I am sure you know what I meant 😃
I honestly wasn't sure, that almost threw me through a loop there, haha. Thought I missed the memo on something and have been making a fool of myself.

There's times where it baffles me I'm even able to put myself together in a presentable manner, and being somewhat colorblind certainly doesn't help... I've made it easy on myself and now most of my wardrobe is grey, white and blue.

·
Registered
907 Posts
FOIS on leather can be dressier option - suitable with shirt/tie/blazer with no issues.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I honestly wasn't sure, that almost threw me through a loop there, haha. Thought I missed the memo on something and have been making a fool of myself.

There's times where it baffles me I'm even able to put myself together in a presentable manner, and being somewhat colorblind certainly doesn't help... I've made it easy on myself and now most of my wardrobe is grey, white and blue.
A man can never go wrong with gray, white and blue perhaps with some color sprinkled in.

Having said that the few times either myself or my wife has gone something colorful for me it ends up mostly just sitting in the closet. 😃

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Of course, absolutely. In all fairness, I don't see the 'problem' people seem to associate with the wearing of a seemingly 'inappropriate' watch, with a particular dress attire? :unsure:
I've never been too, or heard of anybody who has, been refused entry to a wedding, gala function, awards evening etc due to their watch been considered inappropriate!
If I was ever told that my appearance at an event was unwelcome, due to my choice of watch, I'd punch the person in the eye!
Then they would have a reason to refuse my entry! ;):LOL:

Reactions: kdtri1

·
Registered
949 Posts
One of the strengths of the design is that it blends in with so many different styles and circumstances. I think you can wear the Speedmaster with anything and it will not look out of place.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts