WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I don't think anyone other than people on watch forums really care about what you wear with formal attire, pretty much anything goes these days, including smartwatches.

Personally, I've wore my Speedy with suits before. I've never owned a dress watch, and frankly don't really see the point of a watch I'll only get to wear less than 5 times a year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Absolutely....I have a silver dial triple date mk40 which was my engagement gift from my wife. I consider it my "dress"watch.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear my regular speedy with a suit either.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Oh, definitely

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I rarely put on a suit these days, in fact I currently don't even own one. But I know my fashion, even if it's just Redwings, American-made jeans, Barbour coat, Speedy, etc. You'd think folks on a watch forum would be particular about where, when, and how watches are worn, but that isn't the case. Tool watches as dress watches, anything goes as long as it costs a lot. People wear pajamas in public.
The world is coming to an end, I tell ya...

·
Registered
67 Posts
It seems like the consensus is that you could wear a Speedmaster as a dress watch. The question of whether you should is up for debate, depending on one's preference.

That then begs the question; what, in your mind, constitutes a dress watch? Features (or lack thereof), strap material, case material, etc.?

(I ask because I'm curious what the traditional and new ideas what a dress watch should be)

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is all opinion of course, but I think your answer is to find a dual role watch. For example in the Omega line up, I'd say the Aquaterra does a great job of being able to be dressed up or down. Sports watch due to the bracelet and hands, but dressy due to polishing and no sports bezel. It's honestly why I went with the Datejust with the oyster bracelet as opposed to the jubilee. Gives it a casual feel while still being plenty dressy if paired with a suit.

Reactions: LosAngelesTimer

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
sadly, only one pic in this whole thread - if you have a dress pic, post it!

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
sadly, only one pic in this whole thread - if you have a dress pic, post it!
Me wearing my Speedy. Pictures of me wearing my Speedy & a dress, to follow.....

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,681 Posts
So I guess my original post wasn't to try and reclassify the Speedy as a dress watch.

It is and will always be a tool watch.

But let's say you only have a couple of watches (a speedy and a dive watch).

Would you wear the speedy with a suit to a formal occasion or not wear a watch at all because you don't have a 'dress watch'??

This post was just a bit of fun. At the end of the day you should just wear whatever you like.
I would certainly wear the Speedy, rather than the dive watch, to a formal occasion. Even looking at my stash now, it would be more conservatively-styled than every watch I have aside from my dad's old Omega 34mm three-hander.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey all,

Just wondering does anyone use their Speedy as their dress watch?

Having a small 3 watch collection I find it a bit pointless having a dedicated dress watch as I don't really dress up that often.

That's why I rock my speedy instead.

I'm just curious to know that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think alligator makes the argument that It can dress up any any watch.
But seriously, there are no more “rules’ when it comes to fashion. It’s all a state of mind.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I mean. If you had a 50mm invicta as a dress watch it’s fine. No watch rules IMO. I see apple watches with suits all the time.

With that said if I am thinking from a more conservative perspective, the speedy would be fine if it wasn’t 42mm with the end links extending outward. Just won’t look ideal IMO. New release might be better.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I wouldn’t call it a dress watch as well but I think you can wear it to dressier occasions nowadays like a wedding.

This was at my brothers wedding who I share this passion with. Me in the Speedmaster and him in the Seamaster. Both were given to us by our father so they are very special watches to us.

View attachment 15660392
If those pics don't prove they are great dress watches, I don't know what will. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!

And your Dad is Frakin AWESOME!!!!!

Reactions: dsquared24
41 - 58 of 58 Posts