WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seiko lover hankered after a vintage omega crono with day-date and settled on this new addition. not the most loved speedy it seems? but I'm liking this one more and more. a keeper me thinks. what are thoughts?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I, for one, love it. It's not the typical Speedy Pro that is seen all the time.

Congratulations!! I hope you get many, many years of enjoyment out of it.

René

Reactions: wongthian2

·
Registered
342 Posts
My journey was the same as yours appears to be: fell first and hard for vintage Seiko divers, have the 6309 on regular “rotation“, and a vintage Bellmatic for fun. But it seemed almost a natural progression leading not just to a vintage Speedmaster but to this very vintage Speedmaster. I even prefer it to the more classic ones (though the broad arrow has given me pause more than once), and I am so glad I found a Mark 4.5. I can’t imagine ever selling it. Here’s mine saying “hi” to yours:
0351444A-077F-4F00-8D71-DB4DE8E860E3.jpeg

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I always liked these.

Believe they use the Lemania 5100 movement.

Nice watch, congratulations.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I love mine! Currently have it on an Omega mesh. For some reason, I cannot separate the case and movement, which would be cool, but I wasn't willing to press any harder :)
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
You have a very nice edition of this Mk 4.5. The case looks sharp and like new. I had one that wasn't anywhere near the the condition of yours. You have a good one and the Lemania 5100 movement is a good one. Have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love mine! Currently have it on an Omega mesh. For some reason, I cannot separate the case and movement, which would be cool, but I wasn't willing to press any harder :)
Enjoy!!
Love the mesh look. I've just ordered a Staib mesh with butterfly clasp - 3.6mm thick option - do you know how that compares to the omega thickness? I tried to find that out but could track down. Looked similar. Next thickness up was 4.6 or so which looked a little heavy. Reviews of that came up well, and got direct from germany at £160. Maybe should have coughed up for the oem...

I saw you can press the movement out - brave man for trying 😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a very nice edition of this Mk 4.5. The case looks sharp and like new. I had one that wasn't anywhere near the the condition of yours. You have a good one and the Lemania 5100 movement is a good one. Have fun!
Cheers! Yes, I think/hope it's a good-un. It came will full papers, service records, box etc... one owner, last service was mid 90's and not worn since. Any thoughts on if I should get this serviced or leave it? It all feels good, crono runs, pushers feel good and resets cleanly. +30 seconds a day, which I don't mind for not a daily. Hand winding seems ok, but it's like the first portion of the turn has resistance then a reduction in resistance - maybe a slight slip. Power reserve seems ok. The service guru for my seiko's does list 5100s but he's always backed up for months and don't want to lose it so soon, but wondering if it should take visit...

·
Registered
672 Posts
I serviced my Omega Speedmaster Mk II after about 2 years of ownership, though it was running about 40 sec. fast per day and it probably needed one (but I waited anyway). There are 2 schools of thoughts about servicing a watch. 1 school; let's call it the OCD school, say to do it every 5 years or so no matter how good it's running. The other school says to wait until it's broken, or running so poorly that you feel it's time. The cost of a service is about the same price either way you go. I think I would wait for a change in the way it is currently running or operating. But we are who we are. If it was a car it would be different. Just remember, they used to tell us to get our oil changed every 2500 miles!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, makes sense and I recon I'll go with that and enjoy it as it is for now! I did wonder, probably right out of the school of wishful thinking, that since it hasn't run for 20+ years maybe some wrist time might settle it back in... my only concern was if parts are harder to source now for the 5100 (is that true in practice?) wondered if a bit of preventative maintenance might pay off.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts