WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
For me I can't wear black dialed watch with brown shoes or brown belt. Maybe I am weird... I also can't do brown strap on a black dialed watch. So that for me, doesn't make it a GADA. But a GADA is truly a myth, just like grail watches.

Water resistance could be an issue, but I am sure it's fine for most people.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
For some people, definitely. For me, not so much. Too much water around me.

But that's just like any "GADA" / everyday watch. The whole concept is almost entirely personal.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
50m is really sufficient for everyday watch. Some guys make it sound like they deep dive 24/7...
I can't remember the last time I was in water deeper than 3m, let alone deeper than 3m while wearing a watch.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I can't remember the last time I was in water deeper than 3m, let alone deeper than 3m while wearing a watch.
Checks date and time.... that would be 27 hours for me.... of course that was the first time ever for me.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just a matter of time, but the water resistance will get you. I wore a 5bar Chrono daily for 6 years and and beat on it.

After the 5th year, its fogged up and had to be rebuilt. I wouldn't make it a GADA unless it had at least 10 bar or more, or was a diving chrono with screw down crown.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
There are reasons why one may not deem it a GADA, but it's puzzling that WR is one of them. I'm pretty OCD about water as I like to shower with my watches on from time to time to clean them. I read through a ton of "speedy pro WR" threads where actual watchmakers have provided their expertise, and to me 50m is 50m and you should get the watch tested for WR regularly like you would any other watch. So unless you are regularly diving beyond 50m, I don't see why WR should be a deterrent.

Other than that point, I agree with TheWalrus that GADA is a very personal thing. I personally wouldn't have an issue making it a GADA, mainly because it's such a strap monster and looks good with everything. In a day and age where people are saying a Submariner or SMP is ok with a tuxedo thanks to James Bond, there is no reason why a Speedy Pro can't dress up just as nicely. Put another way, there is no situation other than beyond 50m under water that I wouldn't wear a Speedy that I would wear a Submariner or Explorer, which are two oft-cited GADAs.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Only thing preventing it from being a true gada is water resistance. If it had at least 100m of water resistance sure it can be a gada.

Other than that, it really is a gada.
When was the last time you went down to more than 50m?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Just a matter of time, but the water resistance will get you. I wore a 5bar Chrono daily for 6 years and and beat on it.

After the 5th year, its fogged up and had to be rebuilt. I wouldn't make it a GADA unless it had at least 10 bar or more, or was a diving chrono with screw down crown.
To be fair, even a 10 or 20 atm watch would likely have fogged up after 5 years of hard wear. A watch's water resistance is all about the gasket integrity... and gaskets start to break down after 2-3 years, particularly if the watch is exposed to the elements. If the gaskets become compromised, then it doesn't matter if the watch was originally rated for 5 atm or 50 atm: It's going to leak.

The fact that you got 5 years of hard wear out of a 5 atm watch before it fogged up just goes to show how overblown the worry over 5 atm water resistance really is.

If you're really worried about water resistance, then you'd better be getting all of the gaskets replaced every 2-3 years. Otherwise, you're obsessing over meaningless numbers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Only thing preventing it from being a true gada is water resistance. If it had at least 100m of water resistance sure it can be a gada.

Other than that, it really is a gada.

Good enough WR to land a space capsule in the ocean awaiting retrieval.

1 - 20 of 358 Posts