WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

181 - 200 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,002 Posts
That would appear to be the case, at least for the speedy, yes
That kinda sucks. I think I'd avoid spending the money in the first place if I didn't think the manufacturer was being truthful about their own specifications.

Anyway, after all this, I paraphrase what Click n' Clack would say: "It's just a watch."

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Maybe the majority of speedy owners think like that but the majority of people who buy a watch that has 50m WR and the manual states it's suitable for swimming will most likely take it swimming. They're not going to over think it like some here do. I think hesitancy comes into play when the watch is uncomfortably expensive to begin with and/or they've fallen down a WIS rabbit hole and become convinced that only a 300m or 500m WR ISO 6425 compliant dive watch can be worn in the shower.
If there was some rationality to Water Resistant ratings, I suspect people would feel more comfortable with wearing watches in water. But there really isn't. 50 M resistance is good enough for swimming? Shouldn't it be good enough for 50 meters under water? Or at least diving? 30 M is only good for hand washing? That's a deep recreational dive.

I wonder a bit if the concept of movement through water increasing pressure doesn't factor into these ratings. I've seen the numbers crunched on here - and it seems to make sense, to me, that you wouldn't see a massive increase in pressure as a consequence of movement. Yet, you still have Seiko (in the images above) referencing the concept. Is this just a misunderstanding of the hydrodynamics that's being perpetuated by watch companies? Was the reasoning I've seen on WUS incorrect? It seems to be a really arbitrary disconnect between the 'WR Numbers' and suggested activities... and I suspect that disconnect makes a lot of people want to just err on the side of further caution.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
It is if you have confidence in Apple.
But if you don't, why would you even consider buying their products in the first place? I'm not saying you purchased any Apple products, simply saying if you didn't trust the brand making any particular watch you purchased, would you have purchased it?

I have total confidence in my watches, at least the new ones that I purchased so far. The second day I bought my Explorer II I was swimming at the beach with it on my wrist.

Now that watch has been with me for almost 6 years, not a problem at all.

Would I have done the same with my GS SBGR051? Perhaps not, it doesn't have a screw down crown and if the crown is accidently knocked loose it will be a very expensive exercise. And I have many watches better suited for water activities.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Across how many cycles of gasket replacement and service intervals is it possible to have 100% confidence in a wristwatch?

The question of WR when new is one thing. The rate at which gaskets and fittings degrade is another.

I'd guess there are a few leaky unserviced Submariners out there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Across how many cycles of gasket replacement and service intervals is it possible to have 100% confidence in a wristwatch?

The question of WR when new is one thing. The rate at which gaskets and fittings degrade is another.

I'd guess there are plenty of leaky unserviced Submariners out there somewhere.
Speaking from experience?

My 1996 Tudor Submariner was only serviced twice by the RSC since I got it new, never had any problem with it swimming.

If the watch is not serviced or checked periodically, the fault is with the user, not the watch itself. NOTHING last forever, and without proper maintenance its only going to under-perform.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just picked your post because I often see people stating that they wouldn’t wash dishes while wearing x or y watch.

I would have guessed that most people buying luxury watches either have a mechanical dish washer or a dishwashing maid ;)
Not everything is dishwasher safe. Also I'm a bit pragmatic when it comes to doing chores while wearing anything remotely valuable (clothes, watches, etc.) - that's just asking for something to get ruined. Don't do it.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,002 Posts
I think the "locks" are purely cosmetic.
That'd be stupid if it's true. Omega's site doesn't give enough technical details as it is. I'll have to look the next time I'm at an AD (though I'm normally uninterested in the PO chrono because I think it's too fat and clunky for me).

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Then there's "daily driver" or "everyday watch" which can be a much wider range of watches because "everyday activities" tend to narrow down to work, home, chores and light social events. Water resistance is not a requirement here. An Omega Speedmaster can be a daily driver, but so can a Cartier Tank with 3 ATM.
One wonders about heavy social events... I'm thinking of the guy who's always getting his wrist grabbed by strange women :)

As a counterpoint to the Speedmaster-in-the-wet thing (no I would not take this watch swimming regularly, and I couldn't give a sht what Omega says - too much risk of crown popping out, inadvertent activation of pushers, I'd have to get the $eal$ checked every year, Hesalite and rocks don't mix) here is one watch that has

plenty of WR
a secure crown
a hardened case
a thin enough case to go under a cuff (11.8mm, not like a Sp**dm*st*r)
a dial that is easy to read
a sort of Teutonic style, in its own way
large and medium size options
automatic winding
sapphire crystal
anti-magnetism protection to 80,000 A/m
a radial flip for taunting people who think they have OCD, which gets more useful by the day

Not so good for a trip to space or the Marianas trench, but fine for washing the Audi A4, frying up at a cook-out and backpacking.

Not showing up for some reason. Try this one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Speaking from experience?

My 1996 Tudor Submariner was only serviced twice by the RSC since I got it new, never had any problem with it swimming.

If the watch is not serviced or checked periodically, the fault is with the user, not the watch itself. NOTHING last forever, and without proper maintenance its only going to under-perform.
Exactly this.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
The handset of the speedy pro is uninspiring, very dull. Reminiscent of dog turds left out in the sun and having turned white.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and determine you don't like the Speedy Pro...

For the OP, as much as I love my Speedy, for me, it's not a suitable GADA watch due to its low WR. That's the only gripe. But that's just me since I have other chrono's with better WR. It might also be that since mine has the hesalite, I'm always a little more concerned with the easy scratch I can put on the crystal....

·
Registered
895 Posts
That blows. It feels Invicta-like.

Can the pushers be operated underwater like the older SMP300 chrono did?
I believe they can, but I'm not 100% certain.

Edit: From the Hodinkee Shop...

With a stainless steel case, a polished blue ceramic dial, a ceramic and Liquidmetal bezel insert, and pushers that can be engaged all the way up to 600 meters underwater, the Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph offers the complete package, an all-in-one dive watch unlike any other.

·
Registered
942 Posts
it depends on you. I like to spend as much of the summer as I can in the ocean, sailing, kayaking. The watch might be fine doing all of those things. On the other hand, if I weren't 100% certain a 50m water resistant watch could handle capsizing a small sailboat at high speed or falling off a surfboard, I certainly wouldn't want to immerse a watch that nice in seawater. A review I read on Fratello suggested you can't operate the pushers on a Speedmaster underwater; that it's prudent to get the seals checked every 12 months to ensure water resistance (that might be the case with most watches, but i only get the seals checked on dive watches when they get serviced - no harm so far); and that swimming with a vintage 30m speedmaster would be a mistake.

181 - 200 of 358 Posts