WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Indeed this. And thanks for reminding me why I tend to stay out of the Public forum. Some days it really is a massive clown magnet :LOL:
This is at least half the fun of it!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Absolutely, what's science have to do with water resistance anyway, it's always about the thinks and the feels, amirite?
Which science, though, is the question. Psychology says that the vast majority of people are never going to accept that 50m of WR is adequate for swimming because it's far less than a diver and because most 50m watches don't look suitable for aquatic activities. After all, "common sense" says that more WR is better, and it's not entirely wrong. And "perception" confirms that for many people.

On the one hand, I think it's stupid of Omega not to just make the Speedmaster 100m WR just to be done with this argument where no one will ever change their mind. (Oddly, the previous generation Speedmaster Racing was apparently 100m WR but they downgraded the current generation to 50m. I'm not sure why, but "heritage" would be a stupid reason.)

On the other hand, unless they add a screw down crown and, more importantly, screw down chrono pushers I wouldn't go swimming with one because if you, accidentally or otherwise, depress one of the pushers (or, less likely, pull out the crown) your WR rating is unknown. This is pretty much true of all non-diver chronographs, and even many "diver" rated chronographs aren't to be operated underwater.

Given that, my opinion is that no chronograph really qualifies as a GADA watch since any chronograph safe to operate underwater (intentionally or accidentally) probably isn't really going to look appropriate in more formal situations, and may be too bulky for some other activities.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,006 Posts
If we all have a personal definition of gada in our own minds, that's great. but then there's not much point in discussing it. It's just a battle of wits, nothing to do with watches.

Critic 1: "my watch is gada because it looks great with a double-breasted suit and tan pants."
Critic 2: "but my watch is gada because I don't have to take it off for welding, or bathing the kids."
Critic 1: "but..."

etc.
Yessir --

For me, since I rarely swim anymore (and besides, most often these days it's water aerobics at the YMCA, and I wear my Apple Watch for that), and the most I actually dress up is maybe a suit-and-tie (I own a tux, but 99% of the time when I wear it, I'm behind a tuba), a Speedy would be pretty good. Switch the bracelet for a nice leather strap and it's for sure more subtle than my gold-plated Rado.

So let's say there's a continuum from extreme abuse to high-falutin' formality:

Underwater welding
|
Snorkeling in Aruba
|
Chilling on the patio
|
Following the missus shopping
|
Office drone
|
International deals
|
Charity fundraising ball
|
Royal wedding

Some of y'all want one watch for everything on that list. I have no need for half of that list. Dunno if I'll ever go snorkeling (I can take my AW or SKX for that anyway); and though I've been to fundraising dinners as part of the entertainment, I've never paid to attend and mingle.

So for my GADA — or maybe it should be GADAWMUTTD (Go Anywhere Do Anything Within My Usual Things To Do) — all I need to ask is for it to be appropriate for this (sadly narrow) list:

Chilling on the patio
|
Following the missus shopping
|
Office drone

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I'd be nice to have something pinned in the dive watch forum on WR from an expert. I think a lot of wis would find it informative.
Even the manufacturers disagree on what WR rating is sufficient for what activity. It's a never ending discussion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
If the Speedy is GADA then so is a grand complication and a g shock.
Gshock is the ultimate GADA, god tier at that! I would rate my casioak as a better GADA than the speedmaster, but it may have been this thread or a different one where I mentioned gshock comparisons were like cheating.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,006 Posts
I don't think the Speedmaster Pro is a GADA. Why? handwinding. I hate hand winding.
I think this is another perfectly objective reason (I also said no date = less GADA). Of course manual-wind watches used to be the default, but when self-winding watches came onto the scene, they were undoubtedly an upgrade. People of my parents' and grandparents' age happily switched to self-winding watches.

·
Registered
29,680 Posts
Interesting to me that some people need a date function for a GADA.
I do, I need a date, but that’s just me.

As for WR there have been plenty of experts telling me that 5atm is just fine for everything if my seals are ok, but it’s my £2.5k watch, so I don’t care what they say, if it ain’t got a screw down crown and at least 10atm it ain’t getting wet whilst in my ownership.

Hence, for me at least the Speedy ain’t a GADA.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
You accuse me of perpetuating falsehoods and all you have to back yourself up is anecdotal Omega fan boy information. Brilliant 👍

On the other hand, there is a plethora of actual information which states that 50m will NOT sustain submerging/swimming. I even posted a WR chart which supports my claim...you should read it.
All Omegas are individually tested and guaranteed to their advertised water resistance. Nothing fanboy about it, I simply know what I'm talking about.

View attachment 15863318
I'd follow the specific watch manufacturer's recommendations, there's no point to argue one way or another. These are just a few examples.

Seiko

Grand Seiko

Bulova

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Gshock is the ultimate GADA, god tier at that! I would rate my casioak as a better GADA than the speedmaster, but it may have been this thread or a different one where I mentioned gshock comparisons were like cheating.
I'd say a G-shock is perhaps the ultimate outdoorsmen's watch, but GADA? I think it's gonna look quite silly with a suit at the office.

·
Premium Member
35,106 Posts
AT for me, but the SpeedMaster would be a close second.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Which science, though, is the question. Psychology says that the vast majority of people are never going to accept that 50m of WR is adequate for swimming because it's far less than a diver and because most 50m watches don't look suitable for aquatic activities. After all, "common sense" says that more WR is better, and it's not entirely wrong. And "perception" confirms that for many people.
Damn, psychology is a science now? 😝 I'm going tell my boss to trade my SolidWorks license for a subscription to Journal of Applied Psychology.

On the other hand, unless they add a screw down crown and, more importantly, screw down chrono pushers I wouldn't go swimming with one because if you, accidentally or otherwise, depress one of the pushers (or, less likely, pull out the crown) your WR rating is unknown. This is pretty much true of all non-diver chronographs, and even many "diver" rated chronographs aren't to be operated underwater.
At least you seem to realize that the threads don't contribute to the seal.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Damn, psychology is a science now?
Yes, psychology has been a science from its inception. You may be confusing it with psychotherapy, or some other 'psych____'. Psychology is the science they used to make you buy all those watches.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
I'd say a G-shock is perhaps the ultimate outdoorsmen's watch, but GADA? I think it's gonna look quite silly with a suit at the office.
Opinions vary! As do suits, as do offices!

Edit: As do gshocks!

Reactions: ShaunAF

·
Premium Member
12,812 Posts
Love a Speedmaster, and I can see the argument for having one as your one-and-done (been there done that).

But... 50m WR, no screw down crown, and additional weak points for water ingress (pushers) means this isn't a watch you can throw everything at and expect it to come out unscathed. Wouldn't bathe/swim in it - heck, I won't even wash the dishes in mine. For that reason alone, I think it falls a bit short on GADA status. Granted, it more than makes up for that fact with spades of history and charm, but history and charm won't do you much good if you have to send it to Omega for a service because you dunked it in the pond.
Just picked your post because I often see people stating that they wouldn’t wash dishes while wearing x or y watch.

I would have guessed that most people buying luxury watches either have a mechanical dish washer or a dishwashing maid ;)

Edited: grammar

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, psychology has been a science from its inception. You may be confusing it with psychotherapy, or some other 'psych____'. Psychology is the science they used to make you buy all those watches.
You missed the "😝".

As someone who regularly designs things that have pressure ratings (burst and collapse) that exceed 10,000 psi (690 bar) I can assure you that Psychology doesn't factor into my calculations.

·
Premium Member
12,812 Posts

On the one hand, I think it's stupid of Omega not to just make the Speedmaster 100m WR just to be done with this argument where no one will ever change their mind. (Oddly, the previous generation Speedmaster Racing was apparently 100m WR but they downgraded the current generation to 50m. I'm not sure why, but "heritage" would be a stupid reason.)

Given that, my opinion is that no chronograph really qualifies as a GADA watch since any chronograph safe to operate underwater (intentionally or accidentally) probably isn't really going to look appropriate in more formal situations, and may be too bulky for some other activities.
As has been stated many times here and on other threads, it’s mostly the seals and not the presence/absence of a screw down crown that’s important for water resistance. Casein point, a PO chronograph is rated to 600m, can be used underwater, and does not have screwed down pushers.

LOoOser in the Brotherhood

141 - 160 of 358 Posts