WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just bought a pre-owned speedy pro with serial number 7704xxxx but when I opened the caseback, I noticed that the serial number on the movement does not match it. The number on the movement is pretty close though, also in the 7704xxxx range. Everything about the watch looks legit. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi everyone, I just bought a pre-owned speedy pro with serial number 7704xxxx but when I opened the caseback, I noticed that the serial number on the movement does not match it. The number on the movement is pretty close though, also in the 7704xxxx range. Everything about the watch looks legit. Should I be concerned?
Update - Both numbers are in the 770416xx range. Difference of less than 40.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Is that both last digits are different? Or only one? Possible miss-stamp.

hard to see why a new movement with such a close number would be transplanted. It would mean the original one was unserviceable and the donor cosmetically too poor to get a good price whole.

No documents I suppose?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the watch came with a warranty card that has the same serial number on the caseback. the last two numbers on the movement and caseback share a same digit but different place, i.e. 770416X7 and 7704167Y where X and Y are different digits. would this by any chance be considered a franken? :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
the watch came with a warranty card that has the same serial number on the caseback. the last two numbers on the movement and caseback share a same digit but different place, i.e. 770416X7 and 7704167Y where X and Y are different digits. would this by any chance be considered a franken? :(
Not a chance from my point of view:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/what-heck-franken-watch-367973.html

i believe your watch must have been a factory mistake.

i cannot see why anyone would replace the movement on a recent watch, and to have such a close number? No.

enjoy your watch.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Photos would help greatly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The caseback was opened by a watchmaker. I don't have the tools to open it on my own to take pictures of the movement. I can take pics of the watch itself though. Will it help?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
any photos would help

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It looks like the real deal. I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: molecule

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sometimes they change the caseback or movement on the watches because of a number of reasons, it could also be a factory mis match.

I recal a couple years ago there was a similar case with a Seamaster, that Omega replaced the movement, but they gave him new warrenty cards for it.

You could email Omega and check with them to see if the movement is a replacement movement and if it corresponds to a Speedmaster. If they tell you it doesn't correspond to your model and isn't a replacement, ex. its a serial for another model, then you kow it aint good :S

They won't give you the production date or any other info. but they will tell you if it corresponds to one another. :)

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update - Emailed Omega and they referred me to the swatch service centre in my country. Was told to bring in my watch to be examined by their watchmaker. Brought my watch to the service centre today and did an authenticity check on my watch. The watch is authentic but the service centre was unable to explain the difference in the serial numbers. Was told that it could have been a mistake during the assembly of the watch. Well, guess I just have to go with that. Thanks everyone for your advice. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Now with that info. you could order a Extract of the Archive :) using the serial number (that Omega sugested you use) you'll get at least a bit of info. on where it was originally shiped to :) and a bit of history on your specific watch like the exact date it was produced :)

Its great to see that update :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks for the update. It's a shame that the mistake isn't worth a fortune like a misprinted stamp, bill or a double struck coin. LOL However, you do have a tremendous watch.

Reactions: molecule
1 - 19 of 19 Posts