WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best Speedy Pro? I am in the market for one and want to spend about $2,400. I've been told to look for a 3570.50 but why would that be the best?

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
It's the watch worn on the moon. Die-hard fans would argue that this fact alone makes it the best of the Speedmasters. This is the model that all other Speedies are based on.
Speedmaster Pros are not for the feint-hearted.

Hesalite crystal- scratches easier than sapphire, and it's not as strong, but this doesn't tend to bother its fans.
Hand-wound movement- this really ticks some people off, but I think it's part of its charm.
No date- for some reason, there are folks who view this as a negative.
50m water-resistance- not enough for some folks. I consider this depth rating to be splash-proof (regardless of what Omega says) and therefore don't wear mine in water, but others don't have an issue with it. To each, their own.

Is the Speedmaster Pro the best? Entirely up to you and what you expect from the watch. Personally, I love my one because of the fact that it has stayed pretty true to the original model from the 1960s.
It's not a watch for everyone, but those who have them tend to rave about them. Myself included.

The internet is positively littered with information on the Speedmaster Professional. You will find a myriad number of limited editions and commemorative models that have appeared over the past two or three decades, but if you want this watch in its purest (modern) form, then the 3570.50.00 is the model to go for.

I'm sure other members will show up with more info soon enough.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
The Speedy Pro is a classic chronograph that would fit in any collection. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Hello Zach...welcome to the OMEGA Forum.

If you're looking for information on the Speedmaster series then you've come to the right place. This community of OMEGA fans is very knowledgeable and always willing to help out. In addition to this resource I would also encourage you to do a search of this forum and read as much as you can about the Speedmaster.

Teeritz did a great job touching on several of the characteristics that draw people to the 3570.50. I'd like to add to that list the fact that it's an extremely versatile watch. It has no problem shining on a myriad of different straps. It has a beautiful bracelet, but will look great on leather, NATO straps, alligator, rubber, canvas,...you name it. And in a wide variety of colours to boot. You'll find many people who have amazing collections who, if faced with the dilemma of owning only ONE watch, would choose the 3570.50...me included.

To get a feel for the versatility of the Speedy Pro have a look at this thread started by Fr. John...

https://www.watchuseek.com/f99/straps-speedmaster-professional-6410.html

Good luck on your journey acquiring your Speedmaster...whichever one you choose to pursue. Remember to enjoy the ride and learn lots in the process.

Best wishes,

Rene

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
It's the watch worn on the moon. Die-hard fans would argue that this fact alone makes it the best of the Speedmasters. This is the model that all other Speedies are based on.
Speedmaster Pros are not for the feint-hearted.

Hesalite crystal- scratches easier than sapphire, and it's not as strong, but this doesn't tend to bother its fans.
Hand-wound movement- this really ticks some people off, but I think it's part of its charm.
No date- for some reason, there are folks who view this as a negative.
50m water-resistance- not enough for some folks. I consider this depth rating to be splash-proof (regardless of what Omega says) and therefore don't wear mine in water, but others don't have an issue with it. To each, their own.

Is the Speedmaster Pro the best? Entirely up to you and what you expect from the watch. Personally, I love my one because of the fact that it has stayed pretty true to the original model from the 1960s.
It's not a watch for everyone, but those who have them tend to rave about them. Myself included.

The internet is positively littered with information on the Speedmaster Professional. You will find a myriad number of limited editions and commemorative models that have appeared over the past two or three decades, but if you want this watch in its purest (modern) form, then the 3570.50.00 is the model to go for.

I'm sure other members will show up with more info soon enough.
Nice pic Tino, which brand and model of sunglasses are those? Very nice indeed!!

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
The (very good) advice I received here before buying is that if you have any attraction to the original Moonwatch, save and get the Moonwatch first, and get any variation/deviation you like later. There is simply no substitute for the original.

Also, the "3570.50," which is an older Omega reference number that comes simply in their regular red box, while the newer "311" reference number comes with a slightly different bracelet and big box full of toys for a substantial amount more. So you might have been told to find a 3570.50 as to save a bit of money as most people end up tucking the big box in a closet or something.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I was lucky enough to own a 69 (restored by omega) for less than a 3570.50. The point is that you should look at the vintage moonwatches too. Cool piece to have as a birth year watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you only have $2,400 then a used 3570.50 is your safest bet. I'm pretty sure I've seen some at that price. Usually not a complete set though.
I love my speedy, it goes with EVERYTHING. Seriously, you could put it on any strap or wear it with anything. The Hesalite crystal is great in my opinion.
1. It's way less expensive to replace when compared to synthetic sapphire. 2. You can use polywatch and buff it o look brand new. I've heard of people doing this for years without wearing through it.
3. The hand wound movement really helps you bond with the watch and you can keep it running even when you have it sitting.
3. It's a very historic watch. It's had minimal changes since it was first made.
4. It went to the freaking moon!! I'm sure it will survive whatever you can throw at it.
5. In my opinion it is the best possible watch you can get at that price.

Good luck, I hope you get one

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Those of you looking for a Speedy (or any watch, really) make sure you use and check watchrecon.com frequently. $2400 might be hard to find a good condition watch that's complete with box and papers, etc. Could be doable but in my searching, $2600 was really the lowest for a good example.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info and pics. I regularly search watchrecon just haven't found the right one yet. I'll keep on the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
I went with the 3573 "sapphire sandwich" because I didn't want to deal with scratches to the crystal and I loved seeing the movement.

3573 Back small.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts