WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

When reading comparisons between the old Speedy Pro (pre 2021) and the newest version, the new one looks a bit smaller to me. Obviously the bracelet is substantially different, but I'm wondering if the watch itself (i.e. case) has been tweaked in any way that makes it smaller, or feel smaller, or is it just my mind playing tricks on me? I know it's a bit thinner, which is nice.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the new one, or one of the slightly older models. I'd prefer the tapered bracelet, but it's the difference between paying $6,500 and 10K and I'm not quite sure that's justified if the case is otherwise the same. I know there's a bunch of subtle, and under the hood changes that justify the price difference, but I'm less concerned about these (this would be far and away my best watch, regardless of which one I choose). I also know Forstner and other's make great (and much more affordable) after-market bracelets.

I guess to summarize, on a strap, is there a substantial difference in the way these watches fit/feel on wrist.

Much appreciated!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
That new bracelet is amazing but I'm not buying another MoonWatch.

I have a 3574.51 which is the same as a 3570.50 but with different case back and I refuse to wear it's bracelet...too clunky for that beautiful lightweight watch head.

Best if you try and find them and try them on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That new bracelet is amazing but I'm not buying another MoonWatch.

I have a 3574.51 which is the same as a 3570.50 but with different case back and I refuse to wear it's bracelet...too clunky for that beautiful lightweight watch head.

Best if you try and find them and try them on.
Thanks, and agreed. I know that I won't wear the older bracelet, but not sure I can make the price jump to get the new one.

I've actually never been able to even try on a Speedy. The one time I've been to an Omega AD, they were out of stock.

Will 100% try before I buy though. Too much money to buy online, haha.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The new 3861 Speedmaster is amazing on smaller wrists. I bought my father a sapphire sandwich on steel for his birthday and he loves it. Fits his 6" wrist very well. The old one not so much. The newer bracelet with it's tapering makes it super light and comfortable. I actually bought him several aftermarket straps since he hates bracelets, but after trying them on, he quickly switched back. The new bracelet is so comfortable and flexible. A worthy upgrade from the past Speedmasters.

The 3861 Speedmaster wears smaller for several reasons:
1. 47mm lug to lug vs 48mm
2. Female endlinks vs male endlinks on bracelet (probably makes the biggest difference)
3. Thinner

I wore the old 861 Speedmasters and was disappointed that it would never fit me very well (6.125" wrist) but the 3861 looks great.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Thanks, and agreed. I know that I won't wear the older bracelet, but not sure I can make the price jump to get the new one.

I've actually never been able to even try on a Speedy. The one time I've been to an Omega AD, they were out of stock.

Will 100% try before I buy though. Too much money to buy online, haha.
Well...depends really. It might be a lot of money but when ever I ask an Omega Boutique for a "discount" they just laugh and laugh and laugh.

If it were me I'd find a nice used one and save? Unless these are selling over the $6300 MSRP retail I haven't really looked.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
4,667 Posts
Yes. Lug to lug by 1mm and they managed to make it slightly thinner. The big shock is the thinner, I don't think that has ever happened to an Omega moving to co-axial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
The new 3861 Speedmaster is amazing on smaller wrists. I bought my father a sapphire sandwich on steel for his birthday and he loves it. Fits his 6" wrist very well. The old one not so much. The newer bracelet with it's tapering makes it super light and comfortable. I actually bought him several aftermarket straps since he hates bracelets, but after trying them on, he quickly switched back. The new bracelet is so comfortable and flexible. A worthy upgrade from the past Speedmasters.

2. Female endlinks vs male endlinks on bracelet (probably makes the biggest difference)
3. Thinner

I wore the old 861 Speedmasters and was disappointed that it would never fit me very well (6.125" wrist) but the 3861 looks great.
100% on the bracelet. I could see how the older one would be problematic on a 6.25" wrist. Its the largest watch I will wear and I have a 7.25" wrist. All personal preference I understand.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

3. Thinner

Haha, dammit. That's what I suspected. My heart says save for the new one, but my brain says, "10K for a watch, are you f*cking crazy?"

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wear mine on my 6.5 inch wrist and it fits fantastic. I also tried a strap but went back to the bracelet, it really is that good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Happy to have purchased my 1863 Sapphire Sandwich in July 2020. Love the see through case back and having since tried the 3863, sure the new bracelet is really comfortable but I feel it's too dainty for a tool watch. The first thing I did when I bought the watch was to take out the bracelet for a NATO so the male endlinks is not an issue. I only rotate it with wearing it either with a Nato or leather strap anyway as the lack of micro adjustment on the bracelet remains an issue on the previous and new generation Speedy.

I have a 6.25" wrist and the Speedy wears great. When I tried on the 3863, it wears slightly smaller. If I were to upgrade I would probably go for the Hesalite model next time...

Reactions: Reidceeding

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Happy to have purchased my 1863 Sapphire Sandwich in July 2020. Love the see through case back and having since tried the 3863, sure the new bracelet is really comfortable but I feel it's too dainty for a tool watch. The first thing I did when I bought the watch was to take out the bracelet for a NATO so the male endlinks is not an issue. I only rotate it with wearing it either with a Nato or leather strap anyway as the lack of micro adjustment on the bracelet remains an issue on the previous and new generation Speedy.

I have a 6.25" wrist and the Speedy wears great. When I tried on the 3863, it wears slightly smaller. If I were to upgrade I would probably go for the Hesalite model next time...
Yeah, with the male end links, pretty certain I wouldn't wear it. I had the Seiko SPB143 and the bulk of the bracelet was terrible. In pics, the older Speedy seems the same to me.

I'd be fine with the hesalite, but really want that see through case back.

My hope is that I can get a pre 2021 version new from the AD, and just swap out the bracelet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wear my 1863 on a vintage style Uncle Seiko bracelet (whenever it's not on a leather strap), and I quite like it.

·
Banned
180 Posts

why the Hesalite? Just curious

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
been meaning to start a similar thread as i have a 6.5" wrist and been considering the new speedy as my first omega

·
Premium Member
10,383 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wrist is 6.25 inches and I currently have both the 1861 Speedy and 3861 Hesalite Speedy. According my own experience, the new Speedy indeed wears smaller than the old generation thanks to the articulating bracelet, shorter lug-to-lug length (48mm->47mm) and reduced thickness (Hesalite version is 0.8mm thinner if memory serves me).

This is not to say the old Speedy isn't wearable on a small wrist, provided that you switch the OEM braclet to something else like a leather strap or a better fitting bracelet (such as Forstner/US flat link, 1450 President, etc.), but the 3861 Speedy does wear marginally smaller.

If I'm buying an old generation Speedy again, I would get the 1863 Sapphire Sandwich instead of 1861 Hesalite. While the finishing of 3861 movement is good, the 1863 simply has a bit more charm IMO (looks more hand-finished instead of industrial). Just my two cents.

·
Registered
216 Posts
why the Hesalite? Just curious
Just so I can experience the OG look of the Hesalite crystal. Or I can always just keep my 1863 and buy the 3863 Hesalite :D best of both worlds.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi -

When reading comparisons between the old Speedy Pro (pre 2021) and the newest version, the new one looks a bit smaller to me. Obviously the bracelet is substantially different, but I'm wondering if the watch itself (i.e. case) has been tweaked in any way that makes it smaller, or feel smaller, or is it just my mind playing tricks on me? I know it's a bit thinner, which is nice.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the new one, or one of the slightly older models. I'd prefer the tapered bracelet, but it's the difference between paying $6,500 and 10K and I'm not quite sure that's justified if the case is otherwise the same. I know there's a bunch of subtle, and under the hood changes that justify the price difference, but I'm less concerned about these (this would be far and away my best watch, regardless of which one I choose). I also know Forstner and other's make great (and much more affordable) after-market bracelets.

I guess to summarize, on a strap, is there a substantial difference in the way these watches fit/feel on wrist.

Much appreciated!

View attachment 16261753
Yes, the new one unfortunately wears smaller. This is mainly due to shorter lug to lugs.

However The believe the case diameter looks larger marginally.

but overall the new one is smaller. Shame for us with big wrists.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts