WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we are again on the question of spending for watches. At what point should you stop and take a vacation?I have bought watches at a rate of about 2 a week for months and still feel the need to get more. Every new cool looking watch I see I want and so I buy. Is there such a thing as restraint on this?

·
Registered
780 Posts
If your other finances aren't hurting, I guess there's no particular reason to stop buying, particularly as most watches can be resold.

I find that the thought of watches sitting [nearly] forever tucked away in a drawer, only to be worn on rare occasions, to be bothersome enough to keep me from going wild. How many large, black-faced watches do I really need, I ask myself. So far it's been working...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do what makes you happy.

I have found that the more time I spend on this forum (and others), the more I want to spend on this "hobby."

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I tamed my spending by going vintage. The hunt becomes longer and more difficult and the rewards seem greater IMO.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Not sure how to stop myself but I have tried to be more specific and to ask myself how often I would wear a given watch. That kept things under control for 6 weeks or so. Right now I have 11 in active rotation and have bids out on two more.

Now that's self-control o| :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Two a week?! That's impressive, Sean. But why restrain yourself if a). you can afford it, and b). you are having fun?:)

To be honest, if I was buying at the rate of two a week, I'd be done in about a month. I love watches. I like to read about them, talk about them, and try them on-but there are only about seven or eight on my wish list...for now!:-d

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There are worse things to spend money on than watches...drugs, for instance. Sounds like a better deal to me to spend money on something more lasting that can get you high each time you wear it, than on something that gets you high once and then it's gone. Plus, when the "thrill is gone" for a particular model or your tastes change, you can always sell it and at least get some money back for your past pleasures...and even use that cash to buy another one that catches your eye. Seems like a pretty good investment to me.

Mike

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have bought watches at a rate of about 2 a week for months and still feel the need to get more.
So that's about 100 watches per year :think: You should be asking what's really missing in your life, because it sure ain't watches :-s

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Have quite alot of watches:-d I could just be compensating for retiring out of my sport? Hopefully this will slow down after christmas unless a bunch of watches hit the sales forum like last year.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sean, you're retiring from bikes, buy a racecar then you won't have any money left for watches :-!

Or start buying more expensive watches, that should slow down the volume anyway...

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
I don't think it's any worse than indulging in other areas. If you can afford it, why not. Personally, I can handle 4 or 5 watches (wrist time purposes) and anything over that sits idle. I may wind up trading some off to stay at the magic # 5. Then again, looking at pics on these forums doesn't help to achieve my goal. - David

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Sean, you're retiring from bikes, buy a racecar then you won't have any money left for watches :-!

Or start buying more expensive watches, that should slow down the volume anyway...
My guess is he will still have money left over, good for you! Great to have that type of freedom, buy more I say it will make up for the ones I can not afford!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Here we are again on the question of spending for watches. At what point should you stop and take a vacation?I have bought watches at a rate of about 2 a week for months and still feel the need to get more. Every new cool looking watch I see I want and so I buy. Is there such a thing as restraint on this?
Pick up a graham or a hublot....or two. Then post up close photos. I really want to see what those look like up close before I decide to start saving for one.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I bought the race car, then bought watches to match it:-d the race car is pretty cool.

P

·
0 Posts
I was buying a lot of watches for a while, and then decided to think about what I like in a watch, and then decided to get the best of what I really wanted. That slowed my watch purchases down quite a bit. Pretty much like motorcycles or cars. You keep going through them until you find the one that makes you far less interested in the others. Or at least that's how I see it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I agree with Planet Ocean. I didn't know it at first, but I bought quite a few pieces when I was getting started. I was looking for the "one" I guess.

Though none of the watches I purchased are expensive, they each told me something. Because of these various lessons, I've learned my true desire, and now search that out.

I'm down to 12 pieces, 6 of which get worn in rotation, with one getting the lion's share. I figure that in 6-8 months, I'll be down to 4-6 pieces, and will try to stay in that count. With that amount, I can comfortably rotate usage, and they'll be pieces I truly enjoy.

Wish me luck ....... :-d

Cheers!
Bill

Oh, Sean, share some pics of the car .... love to see that! :-!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My own experience is that the more watches I acquire, the more discerning I become about the watches that I want to own. It used to be that I could walk in to a store and want to buy a whole bunch of watches that I liked the look of. Now, I walk into a store and the majority of times will not find a watch that I want to take home and add to my collection. Right now I am in a holding pattern and I am concentrating on my other love, Photography that I plan to bring my love of watches together with so that I can enjoy both at the same time. However, I am always on the lookout for a unique watch that I would want to add to my collection.

M&Q

1 - 18 of 18 Posts