WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , little story here , had my U1 for about 2 weeks now , anyway so i,m Xmas shopping in my city with my wife today , got the Sinn on , we split up to maybe get some gifts for each other and arrange to meet up a hour or 2 later , after sorting out a few gifts for her I decide to nip into a local watch/jewellery store , if fact the only one to carry mid to high-ish range watches ( Pam`s , IWC`s , JLC , Rollie`s , Omega`s etc ) in a 150 mile radius , to kill a little time before I meet back up with my wife , so I,m speaking to the guy ( didn`t seem to clued up ) and I try on the following - Omega PO 45MM , Pam 00 Base , Tag Monaco , IWC ( new shape ) Aquatimer and a Rolex Sub , now these are ALL very nice watches , and all nice quality , prices ranging £1900 - £2800 , 1.96 dollar conv do the math !!!
BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at all these watches what struck me ( and the store guys ) was how absolutely incredible the build quality , fit , materials , heft , design etc etc etc of the U1 is , I honestly think the Sinn has spoiled me lol but what a way to be spoiled lol
All the best
Mark
P.s. I forgot to mention , but when I was trying on the various other pieces the store guy ( without asking ) just picks up my watch , is it just me or does it nark the hell out of anyone else :-|
And on top of that he went to put it down on a glass cabinet top :rodekaart
Until I gave him that look ;-)

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Hi Mark yes that sounds familiar, esp the picking up the watch and putting back down on glass or anything else except the velour pad they put out for their watches. What I can't get over is, and this was in Boston at a high end store the same, that the guys dont know anything out there
except what is in their cases. I had on the U1 and the Stowa Prodiver in my knapsack ( had just picked it up from a beadblasting). Anyway I am looking at the Oris 1000M titan and trying it on ( retail was ridiculous) compared to the sweet price we can get on the forums. He picks up the U1 on rubber and looks at it, and says who makes this watch, oh it is so heavy,,,,, too heavy? Who makes it? Sinn , in Germany -lol, but I guess unless you go to a watchmaker and then they may not know it, but will know quality not to many people know our eccletic non mainstream watches.
Regards
Great story Mark thanks for sharing.
Robert
Hi guys , little story here , had my U1 for about 2 weeks now , anyway so i,m Xmas shopping in my city with my wife today , got the Sinn on , we split up to maybe get some gifts for each other and arrange to meet up a hour or 2 later , after sorting out a few gifts for her I decide to nip into a local watch/jewellery store , if fact the only one to carry mid to high-ish range watches ( Pam`s , IWC`s , JLC , Rollie`s , Omega`s etc ) in a 150 mile radius , to kill a little time before I meet back up with my wife , so I,m speaking to the guy ( didn`t seem to clued up ) and I try on the following - Omega PO 45MM , Pam 00 Base , Tag Monaco , IWC ( new shape ) Aquatimer and a Rolex Sub , now these are ALL very nice watches , and all nice quality , prices ranging £1900 - £2800 , 1.96 dollar conv do the math !!!
BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at all these watches what struck me ( and the store guys ) was how absolutely incredible the build quality , fit , materials , heft , design etc etc etc of the U1 is , I honestly think the Sinn has spoiled me lol but what a way to be spoiled lol
All the best
Mark
P.s. I forgot to mention , but when I was trying on the various other pieces the store guy ( without asking ) just picks up my watch , is it just me or does it nark the hell out of anyone else :-|
And on top of that he went to put it down on a glass cabinet top :rodekaart
Until I gave him that look ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts