WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to open thread about sports watches. Main focus on why this watch is good for specific fitness activity. Is there alternatives?
I found myself, that some functionality is rather lost on you if you don't exercise in a certain way so you actually need it.
Let talk about watches you wear while jogging, hiking, biking, at the gym... name it.
Watch Watch accessory Strap Digital clock Stopwatch

Fist choice is Timex Ironman Triathlon 30 lap full size/classic.
Best non smart option for running with need for lap timing.
Used it for running around stadium. Let you time your laps, see split time lap number and total together. Seeing split give you sense of your pace based on where you are around your lap. Seeing lap number gives sense of distance together with split time. It is very convenient to start and split on middle button. Big digits and great screen are nice when you looking at the watch on the run. Great pushers and comfort. If you sweat no problem: watch survived multiple showers. Indiglo was good enough for night runs. Laps can be saved and reviewed later. Good for general performance data logging. Generally very good digital watch. Loud useful alarms and easy set up. Very good at time keeping.
Cons: strap failed fairly quickly and was too pricey to replace. Only 30 lap data is not enough you need to transfer it right away. Battery life is on par with the strap around 3 years of active use.
Alternative: better Ironman or Casio WS220-1AV. Casio has 120 laps memory, solar and lower price. Cons are smaller digits, lesser quality of the LCD and LED instead of EL

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Another option could be the Timex Ironman 30 Lap Shock version of this watch. It's a more durable watch made to take more of a beating and is 200m WR but you will lose some the sporty look and the sleekness that the traditional 30 Lap offers. Or if you want more lap recalls and a few more features you could go with the Ironman 100 Lap that's fairly iconic as well.

The 30 Lap Shock

The 100 Lap

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried shock resistant 30 laps and it actually step down. You loose running related functionality, gain rather questionable trade off in shock resistance and WR gains (i don't need them for running laps). Buttons and strap are less comfortable. Ironman 100 lap was one i meant by better Ironman.
it is a celebrity watch.
Arm Chin Muscle Elbow Wrist

If you used Ironman 100 lap personally can you describe what exactly was useful in this model and for what exercise?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I tried shock resistant 30 laps and it actually step down. You loose running related functionality, gain rather questionable trade off in shock resistance and WR gains (i don't need them for running laps). Buttons and strap are less comfortable. Ironman 100 lap was one i meant by better Ironman.
it is a celebrity watch.
View attachment 13032999
If you used Ironman 100 lap personally can you describe what exactly was useful in this model and for what exercise?
Yup Bill Clinton isn't the only famous person to be known by his Ironman That is a great great watch for running,

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
No personnel first hand experience with the 100 lap Ironman but just by going through the spec sheet and watching some YouTube video's on it, it's loaded with features for runners. I bought the 30 lap shock for double duty, I wanted a watch I could do yard work and other weekend chores without any worries about banging it up etc and then for my nightly walk regimate to record my times etc. So it's perfect for my needs but if I was just wanting it for the walking and running My first choice would be the 100 lap Ironman.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No personnel first hand experience with the 100 lap Ironman but just by going through the spec sheet and watching some YouTube video's on it, it's loaded with features for runners. I bought the 30 lap shock for double duty, I wanted a watch I could do yard work and other weekend chores without any worries about banging it up etc and then for my nightly walk regimate to record my times etc. So it's perfect for my needs but if I was just wanting it for the walking and running My first choice would be the 100 lap Ironman.
Walking, working, bumping 30 lap shock is a nice watch. It light, great screen (contrast is one of the best you can get) good time keeping as many Ironmans. Loved colored options Timex ones put: green, yellow, white. All seem like vacation calling.
Watch Stopwatch Digital clock Yellow Timer

Suit actor Fictional character Yellow Animated cartoon Superhero

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found it is only way you can wear colorful watch and not feel awkward about a choice is to do sports while wearing it.
My current sports watch is Timex Ironman Run x20 GPS Lime
Watch Product Yellow Technology Electronic device

I got GPS, so you can see your actual pace. It got laps you time, intervals linked to GPS. Both give more information about your run. You can customize on screen display and choose what you see (lap, split, distance, speed, pace). Not much of other functionality. No synchronization. You have to charge it. IT takes 3-4 minutes to lock GPS signal. Watch is not intended to be anything but sports watch. It so brightly lime like a safety west. It good when you run in dark since gives additional bright spot on you. Screen is bad. It not as good as Ironman and fonts are small. Not a problem when sunlight is around, but in the night Indiglo is present but i still have trouble resolving smallest lines (lap info). Has limited lap memory. Overall acceptable running GPS watch from runs up to 3 hr. 50 m water resistance. Never showered in it, but cleaned it after every run. Watch is fairly comfortable. No complaints.
Alternative is used Samsung Gear Fit2. You pay a bit extra, you charge more often, but you have far better fitness companion. Price of Run 20 is still around 90$ or more. Used Gear Fit 2 is 120$ or less. Bought my for 30$ on clearance sale.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think with all the smart watches out now sport watches are becoming less prevalent. They are nice for the long battery life and I would say more rugged, but its hard to compete with a watch that can play music, gps, HR and take calls or receive messages all on your wrist.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Totally agree, unless you on the budget or bang it against everything. 200-250$ can get you very nice Samsung or Garmin or Epson (unfortunate as it is it unclear status for Epson).

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3 years forward what changed?
Best watch in non GPS category?
Timex Ironman 50 lap full size. Bigger digits, bit more functions. Biggest digits around without any loss of comfort!
GPS non smart. I got myself old Garmin. Liked it. It's pure runners watch. with a lot of extras like GPS time setting, powerful online interface for data analysis. Comfortable and durable, Integrated strap failed after 9 years. Which i consider great success.
My best watch is Samsung Gear Sport. Smart watch. Does it all apart from convenient lap timing.
Good HR sensor, fast GPS and more ore less adequate statistics. Great battery life and in 2 years of use not much to complain about.
50 lap Timex

Samsung Gear Sport!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts