WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snagged this Elgin Sportsman 17 at a yard sale a few months back. Finally threw a band on it I had laying around. Anyone care to age this one? I can't seem to find this particular dial anywhere. BTW: The watch runs great. Full wind lasts almost two days.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Definitely well loved! I would guess late 60s. Does the back say proof or resistant?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
tkscit:
I'm sure you're aware Elgin had a RR Grade pocket watch line, Named the B W Raymond
Ole B W was the Prez.
I owned 3 pocketwatches during my 39 year career on the RR as Engr.
2 Hamiltons and a B W Raymond. Also owned a 1903 Raymond. Size 18 7 jewels. Non RR
grade.
Quite a grab on your part. 17 jeweled. Hope it rocks yer boat Bro.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ugly end refers to the demise of Elgin as an American "manufacture". Open it up and you will almost certainly find a swiss movement.
Gotcha. I haven't opened it up yet.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just popped the back off and here is a picture of the movement. Hopefully this will help with age identification.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tkscit:
I'm sure you're aware Elgin had a RR Grade pocket watch line, Named the B W Raymond
Ole B W was the Prez.
I owned 3 pocketwatches during my 39 year career on the RR as Engr.
2 Hamiltons and a B W Raymond. Also owned a 1903 Raymond. Size 18 7 jewels. Non RR
grade.
Quite a grab on your part. 17 jeweled. Hope it rocks yer boat Bro.

Lou Snutt

Thanks Lou. I think the thing I love about it the most is how well it works despite its appearance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts