WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising eBay today and saw this... It is purportedly a commissioned piece from Rolex, and a pre-Daytona at that. Case is in Rose and White Gold. The seller cited Goldberger to explain the lack of serial- apparently this was special order. Can anyone confirm authenticity? If real, this is a game-changer. Otherwise, it's easily one of the most sophisticated fakes I've seen and I am now terrified.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
It might be a frankenwatch.

The movement looks like the highly sought after Lemania column wheel. This movement is found inside pre-moon (before the professional designation) Omega Speedmasters 321.

There is nothing wrong with the movement as it has been modified extensively for use by Patek Philippe until recently. But do stay away if found that the movement does not match the dial.

Maybe other more experienced forumers can chime in..

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
You answered your own question by using purportedly in your post: something that has a ring of truth but is ultimately false.

I would pass as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This watch specifically makes me wonder how many of those "previously unknown" Rolexes that fetch hundreds of thousands at auction are legit. There has to be a limited number of previously unknown dial configurations, and now they're a dime a dozen. I just bid. If I win, I'm going to get my watchmaker to take a closer look at it. I'm sure there's a great deal in this watch that one could use as a resource to sniff out other illegitimate Pre-Daytonas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last time I checked it was taken down. I think the greater eBay community must have reported it or something.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts