WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear audience,
first apologies if posting in wrong forum - I have made reasonable attempts to post this correctly and without duplicates. I have read hundreds of posts, images, and now I feel informed enough to dare put forward a request for knowledable advice.

Background

I have done something right, and have decided to spend - first time ever - on me, myself and I. I am travelling the world, and have decided to go for a watch that signals the following: Professional achievement but no bling. Recognizable only for those who understand watches. Functional first.

Requirements on watch

It must 'fit' to a VP position in a larger global position.
Yet, it must NOT alienate all our hard working people, whom we ask to consider costs.
It should last a long time.
Culturally, it must work in Scandinavia (everyone is equal), Eastern Europe, but also Myanmar, China, India, Thailand.
Climate wise, it must thus work with a normal operating temperature from about minus 10 C (winter in Scandinavia, worn under outdoor clothing and gloves, possibly some sweat) to warm and humid conditions.
I have a quite narrow wrist and Scandinavian light colors - looks must work with that and light colored shirts.

Analysis so far
A GMT watch is a must.
No batteries to change.
Like: Grand Seiko SBGE001 or Sinn U2

And here comes the questions

Is the Sinn U2 all right given my requirements?
Sinn seems to research alternatives to ETA movements. Possibly conflicting with my requirement for 'last long time'?
Does the Spring Drives handle the colder climate well enough? I like the GS partly because of its accuracy, and as I understand it from reading the manual, I feel concerned enough to ask for real life experiences.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
i think if u want something tough, non blingy then the Sinn U2 is a good choice, buy it on bracelet and it will blend into almost any clothing style. Modern mechanical movements like the ETA 2893-2 in it is time proven and with regular servicing should last you a life time. Sinn's various tech like special lubricants, ar gas etc is supposed to prolong the life of the movement and also allow it to function in -45 degrees temps. I believe there was an on going review on the U2 by a forum member on the SINN forum, if you find that thread, u will read that he has put his U2 over the years through extreme temperatures as well as harsh work environments.

I believe any GS will be more dressy and full of polished services that will draw more attention to the watch and it's wearer. i have never owned a SD, but i think it's recommended operating temp range is -10 degrees?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Scandinavia.....Geography and cultural connections, Denmark, Norway, Sweden...Your comment (everyone is equal)
makes no sense...:-s These countries are Kingdoms, that fact alone negates "everyone is equal".

·
Registered
731 Posts
As you mention a lot of different places why not a Sinn with 3 timezones like the 6060? ETA movement, ive worn a SMP in cold conditions as well never gave a glitch, so easy to service anywear. Also the size is great for me at 38mm, you might like it a little bigger....

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
Scandinavia.....Geography and cultural connections, Denmark, Norway, Sweden...Your comment (everyone is equal)
makes no sense...:-s These countries are Kingdoms, that fact alone negates "everyone is equal".
Not jump in to much on courtesy or I take the bait ;), but just to compare; even if the CEO is comming in the office the receptionist can call him or her just by his or her name 95% of the time. Its not like "good morning mr / mrs xxxxx" but just like "good morning xxxx, how are you doing". Some management don't like it, but most don't put them selves on a higher standard then others. Scandinavians and Dutch use those practices, Germans on the other hand; thou shall bow before your management, walk with your face towards them to the door, bow again when leaving and shut the door as silent as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appoloies for being unclear - I'll try to clarify:
The power distances and dress-code differences are considerd relativey small, i.e., if you divert much from a 'cultual norm' where you should not stand out too much, you fail to comply to local culture. That is, a 'blingy' watch would cause your peers to react negatively.

In other cultures, a lack of 'showing off' slighly causes mistrust: Is this person really to be counted as influential?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.