WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newly-stealthed 8400 Muddie seems to have worn holes for the spring-pins holding the strap to go into, meaning that it regularly detaches itself at inopportune moments (often when putting on or taking off).

I'm intending to take it to the States at the weekend - I'm booked on a boat excursion down the Rogue River valley next week - and don't want to lose my Muddie into the raging torrents!

Is this something that can be fixed in any way? Any DIY suggestions?

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,316 Posts
What about drilling the holes for the spring pins trough the lugs from the outside.
Then using a piece of wire instead of the spring pin and bend or rivet the wire outside the lugs, beneath the bezel. :think:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
What about drilling the holes for the spring pins trough the lugs from the outside.
Then using a piece of wire instead of the spring pin and bend or rivet the wire outside the lugs, beneath the bezel. :think:
seriously? :-s

i mean this would work, but then you have a no more beauty mudman but a franken-shock. :-d

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
If you're able to drill holes that small into the lugs, you could fill the existing holes with some kind of glue that sets solid (maybe epoxy resin), then drill new holes into that. Fiddly, but maybe possible? :think:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
It's hard to believe that the holes have worn out. I've seriously abused the holes of some G-Shocks, during modding attempts, and have never had a hole wear out. Are you sure that the correct spring bars are installed?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Isn't the mudman straps fastened via allen screws?

G-9000 series uses Philips screws. No more spring hole wearing out. :-!

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
can you rebezel a Mudman like you can a 5600?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all these replies, guys. I'm bound to look for attractively-priced Gs while I'm out there; you never know! Having got my Real-Black-alike Muddie done, though, I'd be loath to part with it. Drilling holes that small would be tricky anyway, especially as you'd never get them in straight unless you went in from the outside.

I'm sure that I have the original pins with the new resin band, but it may be that longer pins would sit tighter. As it is, it's been seated okay for the last three days so I'm just being very careful how it goes on & off.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
This just seems so hard to believe. I've seen G-shocks with spring bars practically bent like horse shoes, but with no damage to the holes in the case.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
This just seems so hard to believe. I've seen G-shocks with spring bars practically bent like horse shoes, but with no damage to the holes in the case.
I've yet to see it on a G-Shock, although I don't have any old ones so I probably wouldn't. However, this has happened a bit on my F91-w. It's not really spring bars, just metal bars I think, but they are a little loose now.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're starting to make me wonder if it is the holes and not worn or short pins. When I get back from the States I'll have a closer look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts