WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, good advice and good hearing your experience. The help from here has been great already. I'm watching a pair of Kopernic watches now and will run a few Sputnik past the group first.

I've found I'm already a Russian watch fan, love the aesthetics and graphics of them. A few polar watches caught my attention!

Odessa, hopefully not worn your goodwill out! Further to your advice I've read and looked at ChChz movements. The watch pictured is within my price range and would appreciate your comments on it!
Thanks
I am a little further down the track in knowledge of russian watches than you, but like you I have just started to build my collection. There are a couple of tips I can add that may help,

i) When sellers state 'Very Rare' or some such thing, they rarely are. Sellers that know what they are doing usually just let the watch condition and movement speak for itself,
ii) Buy from trusted sellers. They know the market and sell genuine watches. However, they also know the price these watches fetch!
iii) Like you I am also interested in buying space related watches but you will likely find out that so are many people. Really bargains can be had in the non-space related models.
iv) Make this forum your bible. There is more expertise and information here, than in ANY other. I know, I have visited most of the others.

Russian watch collecting isn't just a hobby, it's an obsession.

Enjoy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks to everyone's comments and advice so far, it's been helpful, not just on specific watches, also how to go about starting collecting. I know from another hobby I'm expericed at how hard it is for newbies to not be overwhelmed by choice and other factors! It's also fun to have a new hobby!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been hunting the sputnik watch for a loonngg time now, it's quite difficult and it's my number 1 watch on my russian watch list , maybe there's someone here selling it but who know i'm checking ebay daily but to no avail.
btw what does the text say on the back case of the sputnik watch?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've been hunting the sputnik watch for a loonngg time now, it's quite difficult and it's my number 1 watch on my russian watch list , maybe there's someone here selling it but who know i'm checking ebay daily but to no avail.
btw what does the text say on the back case of the sputnik watch?
Dust-moisture-proofed
Shock-proofed

·
Registered
17 Posts
This thread (among other things) helped turn me on to these watches. And, I just came across what seems like a Kama case with a new Sputnik dial put on. It has the Chistopol 2603 that would be found in both watches. Given that Sputniks and Kamas both came out of Chistopol, is it possible that there would have originally been Sputniks with Kama cases? Or is it simply a case of slapping a Sputnik dial into a Kama? Here are some pics of the piece in question:
Sputnik1.jpg
Sputnik2.jpg
Sputnik3.jpg

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
This thread (among other things) helped turn me on to these watches. And, I just came across what seems like a Kama case with a new Sputnik dial put on. It has the Chistopol 2603 that would be found in both watches. Given that Sputniks and Kamas both came out of Chistopol, is it possible that there would have originally been Sputniks with Kama cases? Or is it simply a case of slapping a Sputnik dial into a Kama? Here are some pics of the piece in question:
View attachment 15244777
View attachment 15244779
View attachment 15244783
It actually has 2602. Shockproof balance is missing to be 2603. I would say this is just a mix of various watch parts. Some old and some new. There is really no other reasonable explanation. Sorry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It actually has 2602. Shockproof balance is missing to be 2603. I would say this is just a mix of various watch parts. Some old and some new. There is really no other reasonable explanation. Sorry.
Right! 2602. Big oversight on my part. No need to be sorry, of course. I was just curious about it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Right! 2602. Big oversight on my part. No need to be sorry, of course. I was just curious about it.
It is all about the dial and hands. The rest is easy. Even getting the case and the movement. This watch can be restored to the correct combination. Question is how much the complete project will cost you and are you willing to do it slowly.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts