WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post some thoughts on this watch after having it on my wrist for the past six months. I purchased it end of June of this year, and since then, it has been on my wrist pretty much every day.

When purchased, it was about 2-3 seconds fast per day. It has now settled in at losing about 6-10 seconds a day. I'm not a huge fan of this (in fact, my previous Invicta was close to dead on, but that's luck of the draw I guess), but it's acceptable for now. I do hope that it doesn't get even slower.

Having been on my wrist for six months, the bracelet has taken a heck of a beating, and there are plenty of desk-diving scratches and marks. Since I bang it around more than I should, the aluminium bezel also shows plenty signs of use- scratches, small dents, etc. It's also lost its lume pip at the 12. I'm a little surprised at how non-resistant this bezel is to damage and use (again, my only frame of comparison is my previous Invicta), but given that it is aluminum, I can't say I'm that surprised.

Additionally, I was recently in a car accident (both cars are sadly totaled), and in that particular collision, the bracelet pretty much fell apart on me. One springbar went flying, and one of the lugs connecting the bracelet to the watchhead got damaged. The clasp also no longer lies flat, and there is some curvature in the diver's extension connection pieces. I thought this was normal (given that it was a fairly hefty crash), but the watch shop I took it to for repairs was surprised and told me this level of damage was unusual. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Overall, despite the negative tone of the above piece, I'm still pretty happy about the watch. It's a beautiful watch that I very much enjoy, although I do feel that the bracelet could have been constructed a better (maybe a slightly tougher grade of steel?). If I had to be completely honest, it actually has not held up as well as my previous Invicta. If I had to make the purchase again, I'd be a little hesitant given what has happened with the watch and that I now find that I'm in need of a multiple time zone watch (just landed an offer for physical commodity trading and will be traveling for my first year out of college!).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Holy smokes, both you and the watch been through a lot and are still ticking!

Thought I would post some thoughts on this watch after having it on my wrist for the past six months. I purchased it end of June of this year, and since then, it has been on my wrist pretty much every day.

When purchased, it was about 2-3 seconds fast per day. It has now settled in at losing about 6-10 seconds a day. I'm not a huge fan of this (in fact, my previous Invicta was close to dead on, but that's luck of the draw I guess), but it's acceptable for now. I do hope that it doesn't get even slower.

Having been on my wrist for six months, the bracelet has taken a heck of a beating, and there are plenty of desk-diving scratches and marks. Since I bang it around more than I should, the aluminium bezel also shows plenty signs of use- scratches, small dents, etc. It's also lost its lume pip at the 12. I'm a little surprised at how non-resistant this bezel is to damage and use (again, my only frame of comparison is my previous Invicta), but given that it is aluminum, I can't say I'm that surprised.

Additionally, I was recently in a car accident (both cars are sadly totaled), and in that particular collision, the bracelet pretty much fell apart on me. One springbar went flying, and one of the lugs connecting the bracelet to the watchhead got damaged. The clasp also no longer lies flat, and there is some curvature in the diver's extension connection pieces. I thought this was normal (given that it was a fairly hefty crash), but the watch shop I took it to for repairs was surprised and told me this level of damage was unusual. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Overall, despite the negative tone of the above piece, I'm still pretty happy about the watch. It's a beautiful watch that I very much enjoy, although I do feel that the bracelet could have been constructed a better (maybe a slightly tougher grade of steel?). If I had to be completely honest, it actually has not held up as well as my previous Invicta. If I had to make the purchase again, I'd be a little hesitant given what has happened with the watch and that I now find that I'm in need of a multiple time zone watch (just landed an offer for physical commodity trading and will be traveling for my first year out of college!).

·
Registered
693 Posts
Fascinating! In short, squale 20 ATM is only as good as invicta. Invicta could be better.

Hmm..time to look at invicta.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would like to point out that I did not say that the Squale is only as good as Invicta- but rather, that it has not held up as well over time. I have also not been in a car accident with my invicta, so it is (admittedly) a rather poor comparison. However, it is the ONLY comparison that I can realistically make based on my own experiences.

Some pics: image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Wow, a lot of people claim to not baby their watches, but you sir, take it to a whole new level. Cool story by the way.

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
I've had the Squale 20 completely apart and the build quality is far and above most small makers, I don't baby my watches either, they get banged up and scratched.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've had mine for a year now, and have been pretty rough on it too. the bezel is scratched, the lume pip fell out, And I had to have the crown tube replaced when the threads stripped (A problem for some of the 1st batches apparently) None of that diminishes it for me, I still like it to bits and am holding on to it. The only sub homage that could conceivably take it's place for me would be the nassau, but at a 6th month wait and double the price, I think I'll stick with the Squale.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
By the way, I have seen bracelet damage like yours after car accidents too. A friend's watch bracelet was pulled apart during an accident (car also totaled) a few years back. It did quite a bit of damage to his wrist. Wasn't at all surprised, I don't think it is uncommon. In that situation I'd prefer a bracelet to come apart easily anyway :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts