WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All:

I am both new to this forum and a new owner of a Squale 50 Atmos 1521 Limited Edition (my first real watch). I have a judgement question that I was hoping members of this forum might help me sort through.

The crystal on my new watch does not lay flat. Rather it is raised above the bezel at the 12 o'clock position and lowered below it at the 6 o'clock position. The amount is small. But it is visible to the naked eye when viewed from side from a close distance where it can be clearly seen as uneven relative to the bezel and case. It is also noticeable to the touch when operating the bezel or cleaning the surface of the watch. The seller (not the manufacturer) claims it passed inspection before shipping so water resistance is not a concern. So perhaps (and I have no easy way to verify) this is a cosmetic issue only. But it's my first expensive (to me) watch and you can guess the rest.

So my question is this: At this price point and for this manufacture, it it reasonable to expect that an issue like this — noticeable to both touch and the naked eye (albeit when looking for it from the side at eye level) — be viewed as a defect and fixed under warranty? The seller is giving me the cold shoulder and I have yet to contact the manufacturer under warranty (pending input from you all).

From reading this forum in past, I have come to respect the good judgement I have seen displayed. Any assistance in helping me either 1.) live with it or 2.) demand a replacement or repair would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ken

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Is it possible this is just a domed crystal playing some tricks on the eye?

"He's just a witness"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, in this case, I can attest that it is not a "trick of the eye". For one this model does not have a doomed glass. And secondly, I asked others at my place of employment to visually inspect the watch face from the side and tell me what they saw. Everyone in my office saw it the same way: uneven and not cool for an expensive watch.

I thought about posting a pic and can if that would help the discussion. But everyone at the office said the same thing, "If you can see it with the naked eye, then it's too much." On the flip side, who regularly looks at their watch from the side and at eye level.

So for purposes of discussion, assuming that it is uneven, what if any degree of unevenness would be acceptable?

PS: If others want me to post a picture I would be happy to do so.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I would send it back to the seller. I know that Squale backs up their watches. Was it an obscure seller or one of the regulars we discuss on the forum.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'd send it back to where you purchased it from. Sounds like a warranty issue.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sounds like it's going to bug you, so that's really the bottom line. Send it back to the seller or manufacturer if you can. Sucks, I know ... I think this is unfortunately part of the reality when you cannot physically inspect the goods before you purchase, and it's happened to me with various issues on about 1/4 of the items I've purchased.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I'm not surprised. Squales qc is seriously lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jason_recliner

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was one of the reputable dealers. While they (the dealer) were very responsive in responding to purchasing inquiries, they have not been responsive to this issue. Thanks to every one for responding. I have decided to reach out to Squale directly to see what they suggest.

Everything else about the watch is great and as advertised. So if they will level the crystal, I'd consider it a solid experience despite the headache and roundtrip.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ken, if u don't mind. Why not post a pic for all to understand n then the members here can advise you properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kermit et. all:

Here is a pic of the uneven glass. This is with a smartphone sans digital zoom or lens magnification. Again, the amount is slight, but it is visible to naked eye. Still open to any additional input as to whether this amount of unevenness in the quality of watch should be considered a defect.

Ken

SqualeDefect.jpg

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Yep definitely there

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome to the DWF74.

You clearly got a defective watch and there's nothing to live it.
You can either send it back to get it fixed, or ask a full refund.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I agree w Kamonji n Vokotin. The glass did not sit in perfectly. To get things moving, email directly to Squale and inform Squale who u bought from, as well as the date and warranty if it is still in force.

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
Can up replicate the pics with the bezel turned to 15 and 30? Do you have calipers to take some measurements?
Kermit et. all:

Here is a pic of the uneven glass. This is with a smartphone sans digital zoom or lens magnification. Again, the amount is slight, but it is visible to naked eye. Still open to any additional input as to whether this amount of unevenness in the quality of watch should be considered a defect.

Ken

View attachment 1523710

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Looks like the crystal didnt seat properly when it was pressed in. You have a valid complaint I think.
For sure, and given that it's a diving watch, it's reasonable to suspect that this could be a functional issue. If he's doing any actual diving, the inside pressure could make it more likely to pop out the crystal. But either way, cosmetically it's pretty clearly a problem.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I agree with Kermit to contact Squale. Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sorry to hear you have a less than stella example. I understand how it can really sour the experience.

It was one of the reputable dealers. While they (the dealer) were very responsive in responding to purchasing inquiries, they have not been responsive to this issue.
Well lets name and shame them. This is clearly an issue that a bit of good customer service should help to make right. Either that or demand a full refund.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thats definitely an issue, and one I must say I've never seen before. I would send it back and don't take it in the water in that condition. I wouldn't trust it to be water tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A brief update to everyone who's posted advice:

In response to Lexvil's question, I do not have calipers to measure. But the offset doesn't rotate with the bezel. Meaning, the bezel spins and the glass stays put. Not sure what this distinction implies from a mechanical perspective. If the additional pics would help in some fashion, I'm happy to take and share.

I did hear back from Squale yesterday and they said it is wrong (which was nice to hear) and they advised me to return it to the dealer. So that is the plan, but the dealer has yet to agree. Squales' response struck me off guard — I expected the issue to be addressed by them as a warranty issue — but perhaps shifting responsibility to the dealer is in Squales' best interest (to encourage people to buy direct from Squale in the future)?

So I have reached back out to the dealer and not heard anything back. Not a surprise the way things have been going. My second watch from the same dealer — purchased weeks earlier at the same time but shipped separately — is due to arrive this week. I will wait to confirm the second watch is not defective and then, if I have not heard back from the dealer, bring in the credit card company to settle the issue.

If I have to bring in the credit card company to resolve the dispute, I will have no problem identifying the dealer by name. In fact, I will happily do so to prevent other readers from having a similar experience.

Again, a big thanks to everyone here for sharing their perspectives and offering advice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts