• GW-5000

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • GMW-B5000 series model

Votes: 38 33.0%
  • DW-5600E

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Other square....

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • SQUARES?? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING SQUARES!

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • They ain't potato chips, but I still can't pick just one!

Votes: 11 9.6%

SQUARE lovers - questions for YOU!!

15K views 82 replies 58 participants last post by  D. A. (Tony) Vader 
#1 ·
1) How long have you enjoyed Casio squares?

2) What's your favorite square, and why?

PICS NEEDED please!! (y)

For me, I didn't have a liking for squares right away - as hard as that might be to believe... In fact, it took me probably a couple years of enjoying Gs before I suddenly wanted a square. It hit me out of the blue, one day as I was looking at a WRUW photo of a DW-5030C-1 square! That beauty was my first square, then I got the GW-5000, and things spiraled from there... (up, or down, depending on your point of view!) 🤣

My favorite square has to be the GMW-B5000TFC-1, the Porter LE. (though a very close 2nd is the TCM Ti version) It's not my favorite because it's so limited and more or less unobtanium at this point. I like it because: it's all-metal; it's got DLC all over; and IMO the color scheme on the dial can't be beat. I especially like the pop of the red border, and the splash of blue with the "Water Resist 20Bar". 🔥 (& the brick pattern is cool too!) The fact that it is so limited is just icing on the cake.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not all that long. I've always worn traditional round/analog watches, I picked up the watch below on a whim and it's become one of my favourites in the whole (admittedly small) collection.

The favourite mentioned above is the GW-M5610-1ER. It's light, comfortable, legible, feature packed, and has the added bonuses of being solar powered and always being accurate via MB6. A close runner up is the AE1200- it's a cult classic for a reason. Sure the faux metal coating is cheap and the bracelet is trash, but it's oddly endearing.

#3 ·
1) How long have you enjoyed Casio squares?
1 year, with reference to the 5000 and 5600 range
13 years G7800, I re-acquired the 4 variants this year that I had back in 2008, having previously sold them, not realising they would only be sold for a couple of years back then

2) What's your favorite square, and why?
I don't have a favourite, which is why I have 12 to pick from every morning

#11 ·
Wow, you have a titanium coming in too! You're on a roll, oldspice! Congrats! (y) (y)

Reactions: Dxnnis
#8 ·
A very first G-Shock ever, and that being a square.
I wanted something not too big, since my everyday watch is a 39 mm automatic
I was going to wear it while working in the garden, or when going to the beach in the summer.
First time on my wrist. I love how light ot feels.
Tomorrow wearing it to the office.
Oh well, I hope I won't be buying different one(s) soon. I'm afraid I will...[emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

#9 ·
A very first G-Shock ever, and that being a square.
I wanted something not too big, since my everyday watch is a 39 mm automatic
I was going to wear it while working in the garden, or when going to the beach in the summer.
First time on my wrist. I love how light ot feels.
Tomorrow wearing it to the office.
Oh well, I hope I won't be buying different one(s) soon. I'm afraid I will...[emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, this is definitely NOT your last square - sorry about your wallet!

#10 ·
GMW-B5000, but I'd also love a true modern OG square replacement. Give me GMW-B5000 with a resin bezel and band and I'll have all the square I ever need. Make it with a Ti case and sapphire crystal and I'll buy two...

#12 ·
I got my G-5600KG because I liked the negative display and the yellow dial labels against the green band. Got into analog/automatic watches. A cheap Seiko SNZG09, then an SRP779 Turtle.

Then one day I wore the square again and really appreciated the pre-curved rubber strap. The texture really felt good on the skin. And since I have worn it to the beach a few times, and because my friend got a cheap non-G square in white that looked sick, I got a white strap and face, and am rocking that now.

For some reason I got an appreciation for the squares, out of nowhere, really. Maybe it's just wanting something different (than an analog automatic). I'll probably get a positive display DW or G on black strap and swap the 3 around.

#13 · (Edited)
Been a Gshock fan for 10+ years, always had a few in the collection.

Had a bunch of circle G's (15) which I ended up selling for squares a little while after I discovered this rabbit hole, preferred the smaller size & thickness

My favourite? S5600J

Super light (titanium/carbon fibre) it's the smallest square I've had so far and fits my 6.5inch wrist perfectly, its a square you dont see all that often.

Honerable mentions: GW5000 & GMW B5000G

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I've enjoyed squares since 2013 when I found the GW-5000 posted in the public forum and subsequently bought it and still have it today.
I've owned many squares and full metal squares but this guy is my near daily.

And of course my favorite square and watch is the above mentioned.

(Recently gave it a resin refresh so it looks near brand new again)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I'd probably have to go with the gmw-b5000. I still love it as much as the day I bought it and I think it was one of the more exciting moves by Casio in the last 5 years.

Now...since I can never decide on nust one. Haha I actually asked myself what I could live without in my collection a while back because I was thinking of selling off a bunch to minimize and also fund a MRG purchase and I came up with about half a dozen (excluding gmw models) and from those half a dozen if only one, I'd probably choose this one.

#19 ·
I'd probably have to go with the gmw-b5000. I still love it as much as the day I bought it and I think it was one of the more exciting moves by Casio in the last 5 years.
View attachment 15756805

Now...since I can never decide on nust one. Haha I actually asked myself what I could live without in my collection a while back because I was thinking of selling off a bunch to minimize and also fund a MRG purchase and I came up with about half a dozen (excluding gmw models) and from those half a dozen if only one, I'd probably choose this one.
View attachment 15756809
I agree w/what you said about Casio & the GMW-B5000. They opened up a whole world of possibilities with that move. (and we've seen many new, great models already)

I also have, and love that Kobe square too! Great choice!

#24 ·
I have all three. DW5600E, GW5000, and the GMWB5000. Hands down the best module is the GMWB5000. Just for the fact that it shows the time in every mode. If Casio ever came out with an updated GW5000 with the GMWB module, it would be in instant classic.
I love my GW5000 as well, love the soft rubber strap ( softer than the other two IMO ) and love that it’s a screw back case in an all rubber construction. Love that it’s also very special since you can only get one brand new from Japan. No AD in the US sells these new. Kinda makes it special ( since both other models are available at Casio retail dealers in the US ).

Attachments

#26 ·
I've only been "into" them for about a year. Bought my first (GMW-B5000 Steel) last summer... I now regret selling it a couple months ago. After that I picked up a couple GBX100's (if those count as a square) and still have a teal one. In the fall I bought a 5610 because it's one of the few G's appropriately sized for my 6.25" wrist, and love the solar/multiband never-gonna-need-to-worry-about-it-ness. Threw it on the silicone strap from... I forgot which model, but that made it a lot more comfortable.

I love that they're something interesting and can be an enthusiast about, that isn't high-end. Not saying something has to be fancy for one to care about or be into it. I just feel like if I'm gonna go for something, it's really gotta hold my personal interest, which (for me) is really only G-shocks, Speedmasters, and wild German stuff. They have that "cool" factor for me, but I can also wear it doing literally anything and if I bang it up, not only am I not worried about it... almost kinda proud of it.

5610:

Steel Square, still all fresh and shiny right after I bought it:

Putting the world time function to use, tracking the 24 hours of LeMans:

GBX100, the day I got the first one:

Really "using it" cleaning the gutters:

#28 · (Edited)
Got into squares about 3-4 years ago. Picking just one square just like a journey for self understanding, my opinion change overtime. Already voted that i could not pick just one so I'll pick just 3

GMW-B5000TB: Love everything about it except the price. If i'm really really really forced to pick just one this would be my pick

DW-5035D: Some just don't like this battery powered module but i think 3229/3421 are pretty simple and robust. I can live with replacing battery every 2 years (likely to be a lot longer than that)

GW-5000: It is my first screwback square, learned and made some modifications on it, love how understate it is. 3159 is not my first choice of module mainly due to kinda short backlight duration but those great things just outweight this minor issue.

#29 ·
Favorite metal square:

Favorite resin square:

#31 · (Edited)
Great thread OP!

I started with this one just over a year ago. Fancied a negative display and liked the look of the composite bracelet.

Got it at a decent discount too.

Next came this one. Saw it on line at a 40% off and at that price it was a no brainier.

Picked up a resin strap and the DLC bezel and bracelet for it too.

By then I was hooked and together with lockdown boredom, this one was followed by the GW-5000. I mean, because you have to have a GW-5000, right?

The GW-B5600AR (with a good discount) as I fancied a bit of colour

The GW-S5600 - another "must have", yeah?

And probably my favourite to date, the DW-5035

Cut to December 2020 and some more rational thought and a clear out of watches generally.

Sold the GW-B5600HR (just wasn't getting worn -great module though) the GW-5000 (loved the screwback case and the quality feel but the display just isn't as good as it could - or should be - for what is a premium square) the GW-B5000 (hard call to sell but I'd got it so cheap it was a great deal) together with the resin/DLC kit, the GW-S5600 (great display - super sharp - but I just didn't bond with it) and the DW-5035 (got a great offer). On the upside I was ahead financially at this point by a decent amount.

Kept the AR which is now on a composite bracelet and added this one

Which isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

So I'm down to two - which may become 3 as I kinda regret letting the 5035 go. I also like the fact that it's like the TB's twin.

In terms of favourite (or favourites) that would be the TB, closely followed by the DW-5035 and the GW-B5600AR.

So, yeah, its definitely going to go back to 3. Thanks @Time4Playnow, I'm off to find a DW-5035! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 · (Edited)
Wow, that was quite the wild ride Scott, reading about all the squares you've picked up and later sold in just over the past year. You made some great purchases. And glad I could help you decide that you needed another DW-5035! ? ?

Btw, you spurred me to dig out my own DW-5035. I forgot that watch had a screwback!! Nice! And mine is on a combi bracelet. I'll be wearing it again this week. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.