WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often in my quest for All Known Raketas, I see a watch like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-USSR-ru...ristwatches&hash=item27b1cec7b1#ht_2179wt_803

which has a round crystal but a face which is more suited to a Raketa "TV"-style case with a rectangular crystal.

So, I always assume that such pieces are franken. On the other hand, there are not usually any marks or scuffs on the top and bottom parts of the dial (which would be hidden in a TV-case), and I would expect such marks to be present if the dial were previously in a TV case.

Does anyone know if such "square peg in a round hole" watches are authentic or not?

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's possible. Has anyone seen any "original" Raketas with this strange configuration?

I see so many of these strange watches, that I am not sure they are all franken - but perhaps they are...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
That case should have a caliber 2628 day-date (often with blue or white dial and Arabic number), but the dial seems clearly coming from a TV-shaped case. Another strange thing, TV-shaped Raketas had AFAIK already the new-generation 26xx caliber. This one instead has a first, ETA-inspired 2609.
Anyway, it's a common Frankenwatch. Same thing happens sometime with Poljot Signal watches - dial from square cases, watch with round case.

About Raketa fakes (not Frankenwatches), this one (pic below) is interesting for sure. It's actually an "hybrid" between different things - the dial (with the number shape and the inner 24 circle) is reprised from some recently faked Aviator models. Plus the wrong jewels number - AFAIK the movement (a standard 2609.1H) has 19 jewels only, not 21. To this patchwork, the Raketa "rocket R" logo has been added.

This is what i consider as a real fake - BTW, the auction was using also images from the new Raketa website, now they are deleted.

For the record, the seller is absolutely focused on fake Shturmanskie (redialed Pobeda) and fake Kirowa (fantasy dial) since many years. Feedback rate is low and prices were always surprisingly high too.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Michele,

What you say makes much sense - you're right about the case, that's for sure! Many thanks.

Regarding your comments on the seller (your last paragraph): were you referring to the seller of the eBay item I was asking about, or to the seller of the fake Raketa which you showed?

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Regarding your comments on the seller (your last paragraph): were you referring to the seller of the eBay item I was asking about, or to the seller of the fake Raketa which you showed?

I was referring on the second watch. Seller is on Ebay since almost 10 years.
Here is the brother of that Raketa - note something similar?

A totally different recipe here:

This one is apparently OK...but...where is the week-day indicator?

this is the movement , quite dirty and even chipped near the balance bridge (strange that they had also the correct disk for vertical date window) :think:

And this Aviator logo? Quite minimalist indeed :-s

The basic ingredients are always the same:

-original (spare?) Aviator case
-original sword-shaped hands and blue seconds hands
-home-made dials
-probably used movements.

Note that one of these dial has been changed in color and used to make a "Raketa". It seems more hardcore stuff in comparison with other ones seen recently.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I suppose it's flattering that they find it worth faking these watches.......but also distracting and annoying. I am guessing that Raketa made 2000 different designs over the years; but if I include the fakes there are probably 20,000.

Someone should go and shoot* "alex1076597" on eBay - he is selling dozens of very obvious fakes every day.

*Note to lawyers: "shoot" refers to a photographic operation. In no way would I endorse the use of firearms to deal with this problem. However, if anyone were to think differently, that would of course be completely beyond my control...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Well, I suppose it's flattering that they find it worth faking these watches.......but also distracting and annoying. I am guessing that Raketa made 2000 different designs over the years; but if I include the fakes there are probably 20,000.
If you include the "strange products" formerly marketed under official flags, you should add a zero for sure. :roll:

You should make attention to this one instead: 300428174025

A close look to crown, hands (hours and minutes too), make think to a "suspect device".

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, the picture looks "wrong" somehow. Wrong combination of "precision" and "casual", if you understand what I mean.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Also, the picture looks "wrong" somehow. Wrong combination of "precision" and "casual", if you understand what I mean.
To tell the truth, no :-s Do you mean that the picture itself is faked in some way?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To tell the truth, no :-s Do you mean that the picture itself is faked in some way?
I have no idea, but somehow it just looks "wrong". I guess that once you get suspicious, everything is suspect...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I guess that once you get suspicious, everything is suspect...
Looks more like a Stalin's quote. :-x :roll: IMHO the watch has something wrong, but if the pic is wrong too, we are seriously getting a bit crazy! :-s

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks more like a Stalin's quote. :-x :roll: IMHO the watch has something wrong, but if the pic is wrong too, we are seriously getting a bit crazy! :-s
Well, to be honest I'm not at all familiar with this watch, so perhaps the picture is fine. But, somehow it looks "wrong" to me....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts