WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for not getting the name right of this feature, but i was under the impression that I could wind this Watch and it would last 40hrs before having to be rewound again. For some reason, if I take watch off before I go to sleep, when I wake up I have to rewind it again. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why would you have to rewind it? Is it dying overnight?

This is an automatic watch, at full reserve it has about 40 hours of run time off the wrist. As you wear it, it "charges". There is no battery. Just a spring.

And you shouldn't have to manually wind these watches, a gentle shake gets it going, set the time and wear it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Apologies for not getting the name right of this feature, but i was under the impression that I could wind this Watch and it would last 40hrs before having to be rewound again. For some reason, if I take watch off before I go to sleep, when I wake up I have to rewind it again. Am I doing something wrong?
You're referring to the power reserve.

You're right, it's specified to last approximately 40 hours if fully wound (around 40-50 turns of the crown, most say). When it's in rotation, I wear mine at least 12-15 hours, and sometimes overnight (or I might switch to another one for bed), it keeps going.

You can try doing a power reserve test. Let it stop. Fully wind it up, note the starting date and time. Leave it somewhere, and then note the date and time, that'll let you know how much time has elapsed.

https://www.seikowatches.com/support/ib/pdf/SEIKO_4R35_4R36_4R37_4R38_4R39.pdf

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You're right, it's specified to last approximately 40 hours if fully wound (around 40-50 turns of the crown, most say). When it's in rotation, I wear mine at least 12-15 hours, and sometimes overnight (or I might switch to another one for bed), it keeps going.

You can try doing a power reserve test. Let it stop. Fully wind it up, note the starting date and time. Leave it somewhere, and then note the date and time, that'll let you know how much time has elapsed.

Thank you for the response, so to charge the power reserve, do I unscrew the crown and pull it all the way out, wind crown clockwise until minute hand starts moving, wind 10 more times, set time and that's it? Sorry for the very newbie response, this is my first real automatic and just want to make sure I do all the correct steps

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Thank you for the response, so to charge the power reserve, do I unscrew the crown and pull it all the way out, wind crown clockwise until minute hand starts moving, wind 10 more times, set time and that's it? Sorry for the very newbie response, this is my first real automatic and just want to make sure I do all the correct steps
You unscrew the crown to first position (not all the way out, just the first click) and wind it fully 40-50 times. Then screw the crown in fully.

I have an SRP773 that had a bad movement and had to replace it. Have you by chance had anything happen, like dropping it or bumping it hard into something at any point, or do you work near large speakers with big magnets? That could also be a concern with an automatic watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You unscrew the crown to first position (not all the way out, just the first click) and wind it fully 40-50 times. Then screw the crown in fully.

I have an SRP773 that had a bad movement and had to replace it. Have you by chance had anything happen, like dropping it or bumping it hard into something at any point, or do you work near large speakers with big magnets? That could also be a concern with an automatic watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No there hasn't been any issues, I bought it locally and feel like I just haven't had a chance to wind the power reserve fully. I'll rewind the power reserve and keep an eye on it in the morning if it stops

Edit** the first click is to change the date and time, 2nd click is for setting the time. Which click sets the power reserve? Is it when I first unscrew the crown and there are no clicks?

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
No there hasn't been any issues, I bought it locally and feel like I just haven't had a chance to wind the power reserve fully. I'll rewind the power reserve and keep an eye on it in the morning if it stops

Edit** the first click is to change the date and time, 2nd click is for setting the time. Which click sets the power reserve? Is it when I first unscrew the crown and there are no clicks?
When you wind it neither the date or the time should move. So yes it would be in the position having just been unscrewed from the case. That is what we consider the 1st position. 2nd adjusts the day/date. 3rd adjusts the time.

Wind it in the 1st position

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

If this is your first auto, it wouldn't hurt to have the manual close by for reference :)

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Yes, once the crown has been unthreaded and it springs out, you can wind it manually by turning it clockwise. The mainspring should be fully wound after 40-50 turns (actually half-turns). I usually put it on for an active 30 minutes after for good measure.

·
Premium Member
71,450 Posts
If you need to fully charge it the prescribed 40 - 50 winds will do the trick. You should only have to do this if you want to ensure the watch is fully wound. 12 winds will set you running if the watch is dead. As you wear it the auto mechanism will wind it further, giving it plenty of steam to see it through the night.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
NOTE, an aside from manual winding your watch:

it may be presumptuous of me but if you truly are an auto noob, we should warn you about adjusting the day/date function. This is the 1st click, when you pull it out from the 0-click/winding step people have been describing. absolutely DO NOT try to change the day or date from about 9pm-3am. the gears that turn to make the day and date change slowly are in motion during this time and trying to adjust them while they are engaged CAN damage your movement*. This is something one might do if there's no 31st, and you may look at your watch after midnight and be tempted to roll it over to the 1st. DO NOT DO THAT. Either pull it out 2 clicks and advance your time past 3/4am and set everything anew, or just wait until you wake up in the morning and THEN adjust the date. (The other scenario is likely: the watch has been sitting stopped for several days and is reading 10:45 but you aren't sure if it's AM or PM and if the gears are moving-- advance your time and if it starts switching right away you know it's PM going to AM; if it doesn't, the watch was at 10:45am and you are free to set the day/date)

*i broke an old 7s26 movement by accidentally trying to adjust the day or date while it was already turning. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I think the watch had been sitting a few days and had stopped in-between days where something was half way. and I picked it up to set it or something but instead of setting the hours/minutes i tried to do the date or something. i heard harsh clicking and realized what i was doing. the end result was annoying, the watch otherwise worked fine, but as it cycled through the date, it would get to the 26th (must have been what it was at when i messed it up), but then it wouldn't advance past the 26th on it's own. I would have to manually advance it to 27, and then it would resume until a month passed until the next 26th came.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well if you had purchased it from my local Seiko dealer they would have spent lots of time educating
you on the beauty, history, and operation of an automatic watch.
Here's my plug- Michaels Jewelers, Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania, 19030, USA.

·
Registered
621 Posts

~~~I did the test Art outlines here to my SRP777 once and found I got 44 hours out of a full wind

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts