WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Here it is...the ubiquitous first post. :-!

I've been browsing WUS (and the Chinese Mechanical Watches forum in particular) for quite some time now, and I'm close to pulling the trigger on my first non-gifted/inherited watch. There's a lot of information to be found here, and as someone new to thinking of watches beyond their utilitarian purpose, I'd like to thank you guys for for sharing your knowledge.

I see a lot of posts about ST19 based watches around here - they seem to be the WUS favorite. I've seen a couple of posts about the ST25 movement, but not much. Since I'm strongly considering purchasing the Seagull M163S, I'm interested in what people think of the ST25. I found 1 thread about that watch, and another one about the very similar Timex. I don't remember seeing anything else. I've exchanged a few emails with Kevin, and he was kind enough to provide me with some additional photos and to answer some questions for me.

There are few things I'm curious about:

1. Is the main reason the ST19 watches get so much more attention because how good they look through the exhibition cases?
  2. What is the general opinion regarding the ST25 movement and corresponding watches?
  3. Is there a good reason (beyond personal aesthetic) to look at the more expensive (and busier) chronos vs. the M163S?
My assumption is that Kevin won't mind me posting these photos, as I feel they do a better job of selling the watch than the single photo on the website.

Kevin - If you see this and would like me to remove these photos, let me know.

Regards,
Bluescale

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I was looking and finally bought the M172s, the responses I received indicated the ST25 movement was a "premiere" movement and a great value. For what its worth I am very pleased with the watch. Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was looking and finally bought the M172s, the responses I received indicated the ST25 movement was a "premiere" movement and a great value. For what its worth I am very pleased with the watch. Oh, and welcome!
Thanks, Gregor. I did see this in the Chinese Watch Wiki:

Premium movement with double-bridged balance for open-heart. Various calendar options.
I'm curious what makes it "premium."

Regards,
Bluescale

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,199 Posts
I'm curious what makes it "premium."
It costs more ;-)

Also it is a purpose-built large-balance open-heart movement of noticeably higher quality than its competitors. Interestingly, the entire movement seems to have been engineered for maximum aesthetic effect when viewed from either the front or the back, and yet this has been achieved without any compromise in performance. A subtle indicator of this is that it has also been used in several solid-dial variants i.e. it is worth the extra cost even without its main visual feature.

It has been reported on this forum that the accuracy is excellent, and those who are fussy about fine cosmetic details also seem to be highly satisfied. That includes owners who usually only buy Swiss.

(to those wondering where I've been, I've had computer problems. I still won't be around much for a while longer)

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I found that the ST25 is also in my Parnis Powerreserve. To be precise the ST2509:

Now when I look at another Parnis, it also seems to have an ST25, but not with the 'open heart' config.

It looks like only the Balance Bridge is different, for the rest the back plates and wheels seem to be identical. This movement is a small date and small second at nine version. Anyone an idea if this is actually an ST25, and if so, which one?

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
139 Posts
Now when I look at another Parnis, it also seems to have an ST25, but not with the 'open heart' config.

It looks like only the Balance Bridge is different, for the rest the back plates and wheels seem to be identical. This movement is a small date and small second at nine version. Anyone an idea if this is actually an ST25, and if so, which one?

Thanks,

Martin
I own this watch as well, and am interested in knowing if this is an ST25 variant. The only ST25s I had ever paid attention to before were open-heart designs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It costs more ;-)

Also it is a purpose-built large-balance open-heart movement of noticeably higher quality than its competitors. Interestingly, the entire movement seems to have been engineered for maximum aesthetic effect when viewed from either the front or the back, and yet this has been achieved without any compromise in performance. A subtle indicator of this is that it has also been used in several solid-dial variants i.e. it is worth the extra cost even without its main visual feature.

It has been reported on this forum that the accuracy is excellent, and those who are fussy about fine cosmetic details also seem to be highly satisfied. That includes owners who usually only buy Swiss.

(to those wondering where I've been, I've had computer problems. I still won't be around much for a while longer)
Thanks for the info, Chascomm. That sounds pretty compelling. Now I just have to decide if this is the watch I want to drop $200 on :).

Our of curiosity, are there any other watches, around $200 or less that people here would recommend? I want something that:

• isn't a dive watch
  • isn't too big
  • SS bracelet because leather gets too hot on my wrist
  • can be worn to work and out do a nice dinner
  • Reliable
The Seagull meets all of these qualifications, but I'd love to find out of there are others out there that people suggest.

Regards,
Bluescale

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I own this watch as well, and am interested in knowing if this is an ST25 variant. The only ST25s I had ever paid attention to before were open-heart designs.
Actually, if you look closely at the balance wheel in the Parnis portuguese homage, you can see the windmill adornments visible on the second hand in the open heart variant. I'd guess it's the same movement but just covered up for use in this watch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the info, Chascomm. That sounds pretty compelling. Now I just have to decide if this is the watch I want to drop $200 on :).

Our of curiosity, are there any other watches, around $200 or less that people here would recommend? I want something that:

• isn't a dive watch
  • isn't too big
  • SS bracelet because leather gets too hot on my wrist
  • can be worn to work and out do a nice dinner
  • Reliable
The Seagull meets all of these qualifications, but I'd love to find out of there are others out there that people suggest.

Regards,
Bluescale
It looks nothing like the Seagull so I don't know if it's your taste but I think the Alpha Paul Newman Fits all your qualifications nicely

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Not to drag up an old thread...but I just received my Parnis BP with the ST25 in it. I was curious is this based on a previous movement [like an ETA, or a Miyota]? or is this strictly Chinese designed, and produced from the ground up?

Its a VERY solid looking movement and keeps damn fine time. So far I am pleased as punch with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts