WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Preference material for your diver watch

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to search see if there are similar topic but not much of luck. (or i don't know how to search properly).

Is Titanium case REALLY better than Stainless Steel case for dive watch?

I am just surprised to find out those big name luxury watch brands like Rolex Submariner, Breitling Steelfish and more are still using stainless steel case. I would assume they will jump into Ti case to jack up the price even more. Unless their consumer are not real divers. There for, they don't even bother with titanium.

What's your choice diver case?

·
Registered
352 Posts
If Ti becomes scratched I heard it's next to impossible to fix. I like the weight and look of brushed stainless and it really easy to hide scratches with just the use of a "brillo" type pad. I can't think of the name but the green and yellow dish sponge type thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't speak for watch companies, but I much prefer a steel case to a titanium case because I like the heftier weight of the steel case over the much lighter titanium case.
I understand that titanium is a more than adequate material (stronger than steel in some aspects I thought?) for a watch case, I am just turned off to it because its lighter of weight, at least to me, just *feels* like the case is more fragile or flimsy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it has a better strength to weight ratio but not sure it's harder? I hear it has better element resistant qualities. I've just googled this point and it seems the question has been asked many times in many forums from watches to knives to torches (flashlights).

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
It really seems to me after having the Doxa 800TI that it scratches far easier. I have other titanium watches that also scratch a lot easier then stainless steel. The 800Ti was made to look very much like the appearance of stainless which it did but all you had to do was look at it to scratch it. I know there were different methods to repair the brushed finish on the titanium finish compared to stainless. I do wish there were more metals that held up like tungsten but lighter. Nothing like a scratch free watch.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I have 1 titanium watch and I like it a lot but I will probably never buy another it scratches too easily. If the same watch was available in SS I would have gone for that instead.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
A Ti Omega X-33 has been my work watch for years and I always thought it held up remarkably well bashing it about the cockpit. I have a new Doxa 800Ti as well so we'll see. It's to be my actual diving watch, so I'm expecting it will take some abuse, but hopefully it won't look like crap overnight!

That said, I do like the weight of stainless...it's less expensive but feels more. Crazy I know.

Deacon

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Titanium is an inferior material imho - too light and it scratches easily. If you really want to step it up a notch, start looking at watches made of hardened steels such as Sinn and Damasko use, or tungsten (Lum-Tec - and others?), as well as DLC coatings.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I voted SS but there are some watches I would prefer in Ti, 2 I can think of off the top of my head are the Citizen Eco-Zilla and Black Samurai from Seiko. I love the "heft" of SS but on an Eco-Zilla it can be counterproductive??? I guess I'm saying for the most part give me SS but there are the rare occasions where I want Ti...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I’m kind’a scared responding to this type of thread (Superstitious….Hey, the boy‘s from the Islands what can I say….LOL), but I’ve been wearing my Vortex everyday since I got the dang thing and It’s Been (knocking on wood....Throwing salt over the shoulder....and taking out the garlic lei out of the frig) Great.

For example, I was washing the dogs this afternoon and the cable with a heavy metal clip which latches to the dog’s collar (to keep the dog in the wash basin) was banging against the watch.

After washing "The Emperor" and his sister Harlee….No Problem’o….b-)

Pops

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Titanium is an inferior material imho - too light and it scratches easily. If you really want to step it up a notch, start looking at watches made of hardened steels such as Sinn and Damasko use, or tungsten (Lum-Tec - and others?), as well as DLC coatings.
Its all about the application, when it comes to the automotive/aeronautic industry is Titanium inferior? SS most certainly is.

Titanium has a higher strength to weight ration, SS is harder but heavier, when it comes to wrist watches Titanium's properties are only a weight advantage (or personal preference as a wrist watch is less critical w.r.t. weight).
Comparing apple and oranges.

I like the look of Titanium on some wrist watches but when it come to hard wearing, little can beat SS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I prefer SS myself but some watches do look good in titanium. The Seiko SBDC007 is one such watch. The Diashield coating looks awesome in person.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My Chrono Avenger was a scratch magnet and I ended up flipping it before I became a chronic watch agoraphobiac. But I loved the weight/size ratio you can get with ti...for me 44mm+ watches just aren't as wearable day in and day out as a ti watch of similar specs. But I think I've found a solution. DLC ti :p ...someday when I have $$$b-)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Although personally I prefer the look of stainless steel more, I still respect how titanium is resistant to corrosion. My father is an athlete and the only problem he has with his watches is that most of his watches got rusted on the spring bars, case backs and bracelets because he sweats a lot. At least I've seen with my own eyes that two Seiko SS divers that I gave him got all rusted on the lugs area. It wasn't really bad but the springs inside the spring bars are not functioning anymore and the bracelet got really stiff on the joints after 6 months. Another watch that my dad been wearing for more than 1 year is the Ti-Zilla. He liked it very much and that's the watch he's been wearing the most. After seeing the result of two Seiko divers, I was a bit worried about the zilla. So I unscrew the 4 screws in the back to remove the strap. What really surprised me was that it was as clean as the time I gave him that watch. Since then I told my father to at least wash his SS watches with water once in a while since he lives in a different country and I can't do it for him. My point is that Ti's corrosion resistance is way better than SS which is really suitable for practical use especially divers.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I disagree with a lot of posts. The scratch resistance of titanium depends heavily on who manufactures it and the particular finish and alloy. My trusty old ti 3536 aquatimer is very resistant to the type of patina of scratches I have seen on every type of steel watch I have owned. When I look at it, you don't see the thousands of scratches in all directions like when you look at steel especially polished steel. In everything but direct bright sunlight, this 10 year old watch looks new.

I also find it funny that people will argue endlessly on watch fora about the performance characteristics of dive watches but then dismiss ti watches based on a very aesthetic basis a "I like heft in my watches" or "I don't like the dull grey color". :-s

Hello? From a perspective of real active use, it is much better for a sports watch - especially a bulky one - to be as light as possible. And the sine qua non of any dive watch is resistance to salt water (or sweat). Titanium is much more corrosion resistant than steel for this purpose. Have you ever seen the amount of corrosion under the case back or between the lugs on otherwise minty looking 20 or 30 year old steel dive watches? That might be your steel dive watch one day if you use for diving or even while working out.:roll: So....I was shaking my head in disbelief when some guy above wrote above that it was an "inferior material". Hello McFly!?

And speaking of a tool watch, I think the dull matte non reflective finish is perfect. It's discrete whether you are worried about muggers, barracudas, sniper bullets, or envious bosses.

Light, corrosion resistant, hypoallergenic, antimagnetic, stealthy - serve me up a heaping serving of titanium dive watch goodness anytime!:-!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts