WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took some pictures of my Vintage Omega CK, and noticed something i have never seen before the omega logo stamped in the glass, I have not seen it on any other of my watches. Anybody got any info on this. Was there a certain period this was the norm?

185954360_516441046180530_752065232499766665_n.jpg
186224955_1130186120828317_6238760685235552495_n.jpg

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Omega did it quite commonly in those days - before mineral or even sapphire crystal became common. The reason why so few watches are found these days with that is that the crystal is no longer original. So, congratulate yourself on an original crystal.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Omega did it quite commonly in those days - before mineral or even sapphire crystal became common. The reason why so few watches are found these days with that is that the crystal is no longer original. So, congratulate yourself on an original crystal.

Hartmut Richter
Very interesting, thank you for your respons.

·
Registered
Casio F-91W
613 Posts
Yes that’s how you tell a genuine Omega crystal from an aftermarket one.

I believe modern Rolexes have a crown engraving at the 6 o’clock for the original crystal and a different marking for replaced crystal from an authorized shop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I believe modern Rolexes have a crown engraving at the 6 o’clock for the original crystal and a different marking for replaced crystal from an authorized shop.
It was surprising, been wearing it for years, never noticed. Was a fun discovery tough.
Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yes and my UG Polerouter also has its UG logo etched into the Crystal. And it was 2 years before I looked closely enough to see it. Frankly I love those touches.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
That was normal for omega on the acrylic crystals. What always bugs me is when the logo isn't lined up, I always line it up when I get an older omega that has the logo.

Reactions: Henrik F

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
My 60s Seamaster has this also. From what I’ve read it indicates its the Original crystal.

Reactions: Henrik F

·
Premium Member
7,823 Posts
All my vintage Omegas (not that many, just 3) have the Omega logo on the crystal.

They're not easy to see and quite difficult to photograph, unless you have a macro lens assisting you.

·
Registered
942 Posts

yep - here are a couple shots of Rolex Crystal.

Reactions: Saswatch and Dan S

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, vintage Omega original acrylic crystals have this. It's a very subtle mark of authenticity. Visible only in certain light, at certain angles...

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It's a sign of originality on an Omega watch (when using non mineral glass). I have it on my Omega F300 tuning fork watch. The material used by Omega is called 'Hesalith', it's basically the same as acrylic coming from the polymethyl methacrylate family.

They have a lesser brittleness and susceptibility to breakage, scratches can be polished out more easily and they do not need to be made anti-reflective like mineral glass in order to avoid reflections.

According to the use of the watch, this can be an additional advantage besides beeing cheaper. This is especially true for an autronauts-watch like the Omega Speedmaster Professional. Glass splinters on board a spacecraft would be much more dangerous than on earth. And, once something was very special for whatever purpose, it remains for a while and still finds its place in the watch industry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts