WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup, i got one already (GLX5600B-8 ) and i wanna start a collection but should i do quantity over quality ( NO FAKES just regular ones and some japan imports) Or Just get like collabs and limited editions. Just opinions please :). Im planning on like 6-10 watches depending on decisions.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My only advice is be prepared to live by the n +1 rule for the amount of G's you'll end up having in your collection.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think the best advice I can give is just buy what you really like. There's no point buying into a collaboration or limited edition for the sake of it as it will give you no real pleasure. Also, no need to rush. Casio are releasing new ones every two minutes at the moment. Keep checking in here and G-Shock Japan etc for upcoming releases to see if they interest you. If you are after grabbing some vintage pieces then ebay and Yahoo Auctions. Quantity vs quality? Up to you really. I prefer rarer pieces whether old or new but that's more because I enjoy the fun of the chase as much as the getting the watch. I can also see why some people would just buy quite a few, try them for a bit and flip them if they don't make the grade.
Which ones appeal to you right now? Squares? frogs? over size? mad colours? Analogue? Digital.? Ana-digi? Screw backs? Made in Japan? Etc etc. You may want to cherry pick one piece from each? Hanging around here will give you a lot of opportunity to see a huge range and maybe help narrow down what you actually like/need/want.

Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Welcome! Good news for you is that you started off with the most iconic (in my eyes) of G-Shocks. If you like it there are endless varieties and collabs of it.

Like others have said, just start looking around, especially the WRUW (what are you wearing) threads as there is great variety. If you see something interesting search on it! There are probably some great threads on it already.

sent with aloha

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Don't spend the money on a watch unless you have an idea of how much it should cost. There are a lot of watches on ebay that are priced way too high for what they are. Don't assume anyone's price is the "going rate" for a particular watch. You have to do your research and look at completed listings. Also, there are a lot of fakes online, but after a while you will be able to spot those easily.

·
Registered
904 Posts
As others have said, I wouldn't buy any G for the sake of it. You usually have to keep limiteds or collabs mint in box to get back what you paid for them and I can't be faffed to own watches I can't wear!

Get it because you really like it. Get as many of the different styles you like as you can, and if you are into colours, lots of different colours as poss too. This will bring some variety to your collection and if you're anything like me you'll wake up and just know you've got to wear X or Y watch that day... or you can wear a red G with a red shirt or whatever.

Oh, and don't forget to post pics of what you buy :)

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
It's a bit odd way to start a collection, isn't it? :-d I can't see myself deciding one day ''right, now I will start a g-shock collection...''

You just like the watch and you buy it. Then 2 hours go by, you see another you like and you buy that one also.

While waiting next day, you see another that just simply must have and you buy it. And that's how collection starts, without you even knowing :)

Buying them simply for the sake of it or to have a collection won't mean anything to you. You have to build your collection and do some research on models you want to have.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sup, i got one already (GLX5600B-8 ) and i wanna start a collection but should i do quantity over quality ( NO FAKES just regular ones and some japan imports) Or Just get like collabs and limited editions. Just opinions please :). Im planning on like 6-10 watches depending on decisions.
One thing I have learnt over the years collecting stuff and especially watches, do NOT fall prey to Limited Editions, Special Collaborations, Limited Series of a few watches, etc. Many times you will be tempted to get that whole set just bcos it was released as a set and you just do not want to miss it. As what the others have mentioned, buy what you really really like instead of thinking that you just have to have it.

Another thing, buy what you will wear and not keep in brand new in the box thinking and hoping it will gain value over time and make a profit off it. For me, I prefer to be able to wear my watches and not be a display or box queen. Different strokes for different folks, some v rare or v special models, you might want to consider getting 2 if budget or supply allows if you really want to keep one in absolutely brand new condition.

End of the day, along the way of collecting, you will learn and regardless of our advise, you will know in your heart what to buy or what not to be obsessed over when the price goes v high.

Cheers and do share pics of your new pieces as you go along. :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
1) Buy what you like not what others hype up to be the next holy grail.

2) As other's have said, be on the look out for fakes, if you are unsure make a post here asking for help, you can usually get an answer very quickly.

3) Do your research on prices, because second hand market fluctuates a lot.

4) If you really really like a new release it's better to buy when it's released, not months after when asking prices are insane.

5) Don't concentrate on the # of pieces you have, but hone in on what you like (warning this can evolve).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
692 Posts
What Crater and tse-tse have said...

Buy a G-Shock that you like, wear it, enjoy it...

You'll very likely find yourself being drawn to another in the fullness of time - if you like it enough, and have the money, buy it, enjoy that one too.

That's how I got into G's - first a GW-2500 (still love it), then a GW-M5600 (still love that too), then a GW-2500BD I won on ebay for an absolute steal, then a Final Froggie for a great price, then a DW-5000SL and a "spare" GW-M5600 (just in case), then a DW-5600C off ebay and some new resin for it, then a GW-7900... then quite a rest, and then lately a GW-9200 Riseman, a DW-5600E because they were mega-cheap on Amazon UK a while back (and I like the idea of it being flight-qualified by NASA - just like an Omega Speedy Pro), followed by a couple of Giez's from ebay.

Let your collection grow organically as your knowledge and tastes for G's develop. You should be buying watches for your own enjoyment - not to satisfy some arbitrary G-Shock Style Police.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I own only one limited ed/collab - the DW-5000SL and I bought it because at the time it was the most affordable 5000 out there and I wanted a square screwback - in fact I paid less for it than the MSRP for a DW-5600E! I'm not a fan of collabs - it's just not for me - no offence to anyone who likes them. But I sometimes do like a standard model that's limited in itself because it's just so rare to get in decent condition - like my yellow GL-7500 for example. The problem with that is however - I never wear it for fear of ruining the yellow resin. So for everyday use I prefer standard models that have the features I like and are not too hard to replace if I should lose/damage them.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Advice and tips on collecting G's:

1) Read this forum - a LOT!

2) Read this forum somewhat regularly.

3) If you're just starting out, go back a couple of months or years and read the forum even more until you start to know what sorts of thread each one is from the title. You'll see a lot of "how do I fix/operate this particular model," "modifications to particular model," ""thinking about buying a particular model" which is close to "what do people think about a newish model?" (These are distantly related to the "excitement" threads where "Casio announces new model" and there aren't a lot of hard facts about it -- yet!)

"What are you wearing today?" threads are good for seeing a large assortment of models each day. If you find a particular watch you're interested
in, you can use the "search" feature to learn more about it.

4) Learn to use the forum's "search" feature and the Google variation: search for "site: forums.watchuseek.com/f17" plus your search words.

5) Read your watch manual -- an often easier to read, impossible to lose version is located at Timepieces - Manuals - Support - CASIO
-- just type in the module number.

6) Read the watch manual BEFORE you buy at Timepieces - Manuals - Support - CASIO -- the module number is usually located on each watch's individual page, that you can probably find via G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

7) After doing all of the above, pick models that YOU like. It's your collection, and ultimately YOU make the decisions. Will your collection be "complete" without an <insert model number here>? Sure, it's complete if you don't like the shape and/or features of that line of G's! If someone else's opinion is that a certain G is "iconic" or a must have, ask 'em to buy it for you. :-d

8) Remember that everybody else's opinion is just that, and that there's no particular "best" G out there! Some models are better suited for certain tasks, perhaps, but they all excel at being tough, mostly affordable watches.

9) As mentioned in other threads, don't expect a collection of affordable plastic watches, which are quasi-disposable to the average non-collector, to become worth ten times what you paid for it, and especially don't fall for the hype of "collector's" and "limited edition" G's because they're not going to skyrocket in value.

All the cool things from the 20th century that are rare and valuable today ARE rare and valuable because people bought them, used them, and used them up or threw them out: Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27. 1960's Mustangs and Camaros. Stuff people were TOLD were collectible from the late 20th century, like Beanie Babies, aren't valuable at all. A lot of older Japanese market G Shocks -- that were perceived as collectible in the 90's and kept "mint in box" -- are apparently now hitting Yahoo! auctions and not selling for much these days since there are so many of them!

I dont know maybe Negative display dw6900's or 5600's never had a negative display. Thanks for the advice btw. :)
Look around here even more, and learn some of the polarizing "hot button" issues in the world of G-Shocks. 99% of the people here agree that negative displays are often harder to read at a glance in less-than-ideal lighting conditions, which means a lot of people either love them or hate them. (People also tend to love or hate "Tough Solar" G's, with or without the "atomic" feature.)

While every modern G has some form of illumination, do you have a job or hobby that will require you to use the light on a negative display several times in a 24 hour period -- when you might not have to with a positive display? Even if you do, some people prefer the updated look and style of negative displays over the "ease of use" of positive displays, or they just try NOT to wear their negative displays to their nighttime jobs or when they're spelunking. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts