WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a FOIS, BB58, and 1601. I’m seriously considering switching the 1601 to either a 16220 on oyster or 116234 on oyster. I know that datejust is traditional on jubilee but I love the look on an oyster. Recently added the FOIS. and honestly I feel like it’s the one watch I’d keep out of all of them. So that means I’ve got a black dial sports watch that will always be in the stable and thus I was thinking maybe the dive watch could be colorful. And by the way Tudor if you’re listening If you ever release a BB GMT in the 58’s dimensions I WILL BUY ON SIGHT AND MAYBE UP TO A 6 month waitlist and expand my self imposed limit to 4 watches.

on to the picture.

·
Registered
In rotation: Lorier Neptune S3, Orient Bambino, & Yema Rallygraf
425 Posts
Great watch collection. If I could have only 3, a chrono, a diver, and a dress of that caliber would be all I’d ever need or want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LCrow

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I think that’s a pretty solid collection you have right there to cover just about any situation from smart casual to sporty to dress.

Not sure Tudor will ever be able to follow through on a 58-sized GMT though. They would need to create an entirely new movement (smaller + thinner w/ a date and gmt complication) in order to fit the 58’s 39mm x 11.9mm case, and honestly, Tudor can’t even get their current GMT sorted with the date-wheel issue and it’s been 2 years. So I just don’t see it happening, even though I think you’re correct that such a watch would be an instant hit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that’s a pretty solid collection you have right there to cover just about any situation from smart casual to sporty to dress.

Not sure Tudor will ever be able to follow through on a 58-sized GMT though. They would need to create an entirely new movement (smaller + thinner w/ a date and gmt complication) in order to fit the 58’s 39mm x 11.9mm case, and honestly, Tudor can’t even get their current GMT sorted with the date-wheel issue and it’s been 2 years. So I just don’t see it happening, even though I think you’re correct that such a watch would be an instant hit.
I would be fine with a sub 13.0 mm height. They could save thickness by making the water rating 100 instead of 200. Adding a date and GMT function to an existing base is typically how the GMT movements come into being. The 3130, 3135, and 3185/6 are all based around the same movement. GMT functions remind me very much of module based chrono graphs. The fact that Tudor hasn’t figured out their GMT issue makes me think their brothers at Rolex are pissed. Rolex had problems with their 3186. Very likely it comes down to gear teeth or a spring. Potentially they made their GMT brittle and it has safe times to adjust it and the reality is that the watch will need to be put into a certain time range before adjusting the time etc. I wish these were out of warranty because I’m sure a non affiliated watch maker would tear it down and spot the issue and tell us what not to do with it. Of course that’s egg on tudors face.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great watch collection. If I could have only 3, a chrono, a diver, and a dress of that caliber would be all I’d ever need or want.

Thanks. And I agree. I feel like I’m almost in watch nirvana right now. And I don’t want to drastically alter my collection. My watch collecting strategy came from realizing I didn’t want to have 20 watches and didn’t want to tie up an absurd amount of money in it. I knew I could never be a one watch guy. So I settled on 3 and I wanted a good specimen of each. I would have preferred a GMT to a chronograph because I have more need to track a different time zone but I could not find a reasonably priced example other than the Tudor GMT which violates my desire to have a thinner watch (of course these are guidelines which can be violated under the right circumstance and design). I love the 16710 but again I try to restrain myself. So I started looking at chronographs. At first I was not drawn to the Speedmaster. It had rich history but I didn’t like the size of it. I then discovered the FOIS and at first I thought this must be a hard to find grail piece or something is wrong with it. I was delighted to find that it’s a great watch that can be found at most dealers and it seems it is eschewed for the professional by most people that are getting what is their first nice watch and probably only watch. This actually makes me happy because it has the same heritage but I’m only giving up the fact that it’s not hesalite and it can be found consistently. Could not be happier

only question on the front burner is whether to switch out the1601 for a 16220 or 116234 on oyster bracelet. I have thoroughly convinced myself I want an oyster bracelet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could have let us guess and 90% of us would have got it right! speedy/a tudor and a rolex.
I know right? I'm probably the most basic b*tch watch collector possible. But I'm smitten and I don't even mind that I'm basic. The other option I think I would have guessed if I were a bypasser would have been Rolex, Rolex, Rolex or Omega, Omega, Omega, or more unique like Grand Seiko, Micro-brand, Micro-brand. But I went the semi-predictable route and I'm very happy. And yes the choices that are running through my mind which I would make to change it up would probably stay within those brands. Maybe a Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks. And I agree. I feel like I’m almost in watch nirvana right now. And I don’t want to drastically alter my collection. My watch collecting strategy came from realizing I didn’t want to have 20 watches and didn’t want to tie up an absurd amount of money in it. I knew I could never be a one watch guy. So I settled on 3 and I wanted a good specimen of each. I would have preferred a GMT to a chronograph because I have more need to track a different time zone but I could not find a reasonably priced example other than the Tudor GMT which violates my desire to have a thinner watch (of course these are guidelines which can be violated under the right circumstance and design). I love the 16710 but again I try to restrain myself. So I started looking at chronographs. At first I was not drawn to the Speedmaster. It had rich history but I didn’t like the size of it. I then discovered the FOIS and at first I thought this must be a hard to find grail piece or something is wrong with it. I was delighted to find that it’s a great watch that can be found at most dealers and it seems it is eschewed for the professional by most people that are getting what is their first nice watch and probably only watch. This actually makes me happy because it has the same heritage but I’m only giving up the fact that it’s not hesalite and it can be found consistently. Could not be happier

only question on the front burner is whether to switch out the1601 for a 16220 or 116234 on oyster bracelet. I have thoroughly convinced myself I want an oyster bracelet.
Perhaps someone wiser than me can suggest an excellent GMT. I’ve just started collecting, and only have entry level pieces.

I’ve been following Omega for a while and had never heard of the FOIS. I’ve seen the Speedmaster Reduced, but these are different watches, correct? I think the 42mm Speedy Pro is a little big for me. I also wish the Omega had a date; I’d like at least one of my sport watches to have a date. But oh well. That’s what dress watches are for!

Anyways, I wish you luck in your collection. I don’t think the Rolex GMT is awfully thick and around 40mm. Are you looking for something less costly at this point?

Also can I ask, what year is your Rolex dress?

·
Registered
Panerai PAM26K, Omega SpeedMaster, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin, OWC Bond
1,281 Posts
My 2 cents, would be to go for a 16220, but make sure it has drilled lugs. This way you can rock the oyster bracelet to your heart’s content, but if you ever start missing your 1601 on leather, that is an easy change. I know lots of people say its just as easy to change straps with a non lug drilled case, that is not my experience. FWIW

·
Registered
102 Posts
Currently I have a FOIS, BB58, and 1601. I’m seriously considering switching the 1601 to either a 16220 on oyster or 116234 on oyster. I know that datejust is traditional on jubilee but I love the look on an oyster. Recently added the FOIS. and honestly I feel like it’s the one watch I’d keep out of all of them. So that means I’ve got a black dial sports watch that will always be in the stable and thus I was thinking maybe the dive watch could be colorful. And by the way Tudor if you’re listening If you ever release a BB GMT in the 58’s dimensions I WILL BUY ON SIGHT AND MAYBE UP TO A 6 month waitlist and expand my self imposed limit to 4 watches.

on to the picture.
View attachment 15514376
First off, great! I'm in a similar place with 3 watches I'm keeping to build around. FOIS (which is my constant companion), Gilt Diver and Stainless white "dress" watch that also gets dressed down a lot.

It's interesting, because I've been posting for like a month, and this is the third other poster I've seen with this combination (speedy, gilt diver, white stainless dress). It's a really classic combination! For me, I love the three of them too much to ever switch it up. the diver holds a special place in my heart, and the dress watch is one of my favorite watches ever.

So I'll probably expand, and much like you, I'm looking to add some color. I'm on the waiting for the new OP in green, and circling the VC 4500v (blue) if I lose my patience.

Other watches I've looked at a lot that would maybe change up the "dress" category from the datejust are the new IWC Portuguese Automatic 40, which I think is a knockout, and fills a lot of the same categories as the DJ. Slightly dressier is the VC Traditionelle in White Gold, which can be found at a steep discount from time to time.

Fantastic 3 watch collection!

These are my main 2 and like you, the FOIS is my favorite and will never go anywhere.

At some point, when I was toying with reducing to an unfussy two watch collection, I decided adding that white OP to my Omega was the perfect combination. Seeing them together, I have to say, I think I was right. Great pair!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stupid question
Perhaps someone wiser than me can suggest an excellent GMT. I’ve just started collecting, and only have entry level pieces.

I’ve been following Omega for a while and had never heard of the FOIS. I’ve seen the Speedmaster Reduced, but these are different watches, correct? I think the 42mm Speedy Pro is a little big for me. I also wish the Omega had a date; I’d like at least one of my sport watches to have a date. But oh well. That’s what dress watches are for!

Anyways, I wish you luck in your collection. I don’t think the Rolex GMT is awfully thick and around 40mm. Are you looking for something less costly at this point?

Also can I ask, what year is your Rolex dress?

The FOIS is the First Omega In Space. It was released in 2012 I believe. It's not a limited edition. It's a recreation of the CK2998 which was manufactured in the early sixties. Wally Schirra (sp?) bought one for his personal use in Houston and wore it on a space flight mission. So it was the first time Omega went up in space. Then Omega won the NASA qualification procedure a couple of years later but with an updated Speedmaster and not the same model Wally Schirra wore. That updated version that was qualified for manned space flight missions is the one which is called the Moon Watch. To me I really like this design and find it more elegant than the moon watch.

The restraint around the Rolex GMT is cost. I want watches that I will treat well but not be afraid of damaging a 10-15K piece. If I were to go Rolex I would want the 16710 Pepsi. I've strongly considered the 16570 explorer II.

The 1601 I believe was manufactured around 1970 based on the serial number.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Stupid question

The FOIS is the First Omega In Space. It was released in 2012 I believe. It's not a limited edition. It's a recreation of the CK2998 which was manufactured in the early sixties. Wally Schirra (sp?) bought one for his personal use in Houston and wore it on a space flight mission. So it was the first time Omega went up in space. Then Omega won the NASA qualification procedure a couple of years later but with an updated Speedmaster and not the same model Wally Schirra wore. That updated version that was qualified for manned space flight missions is the one which is called the Moon Watch. To me I really like this design and find it more elegant than the moon watch.

The restraint around the Rolex GMT is cost. I want watches that I will treat well but not be afraid of damaging a 10-15K piece. If I were to go Rolex I would want the 16710 Pepsi. I've strongly considered the 16570 explorer II.

The 1601 I believe was manufactured around 1970 based on the serial number.
Thanks. I agree; that FOIS is really superb. I’m glad to see it’s still in production.

I hear you on the Rolex GMT. Maybe some more suggestions will come your way.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First off, great! I'm in a similar place with 3 watches I'm keeping to build around. FOIS (which is my constant companion), Gilt Diver and Stainless white "dress" watch that also gets dressed down a lot.

It's interesting, because I've been posting for like a month, and this is the third other poster I've seen with this combination (speedy, gilt diver, white stainless dress). It's a really classic combination! For me, I love the three of them too much to ever switch it up. the diver holds a special place in my heart, and the dress watch is one of my favorite watches ever.

So I'll probably expand, and much like you, I'm looking to add some color. I'm on the waiting for the new OP in green, and circling the VC 4500v (blue) if I lose my patience.

Other watches I've looked at a lot that would maybe change up the "dress" category from the datejust are the new IWC Portuguese Automatic 40, which I think is a knockout, and fills a lot of the same categories as the DJ. Slightly dressier is the VC Traditionelle in White Gold, which can be found at a steep discount from time to time.

At some point, when I was toying with reducing to an unfussy two watch collection, I decided adding that white OP to my Omega was the perfect combination. Seeing them together, I have to say, I think I was right. Great pair!
I think it is probably the culmination of thousands of collector's words of wisdom to the newly initiated.

My first watch was the vintage datejust.

Then came the black diver.

Then came the Speedmaster.

Once the speed master arrived, I knew it would stay. So I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a diver with some color. But that's a minor thought.

My first thought right now is changing the 1601. Mostly because I want an oyster bracelet on my datejust. I have fully convinced myself that it is something I want. But I'm worried about whether the new watch would fit in. I think the 16220 would fit in with the vintage vibe of the collection. But the 116234 has additional features that I like/want (solid end links, easy adjust clasp, anti-reflective coating on the date window). But I am worried that this won't be in harmony with the other watches.

·
Registered
Seikosha
992 Posts
116234 - you also have the roulette date wheel. I would pick up a jubilee one because of the hidden clasp super jubilee. Then, if I am insisting on oyster, I will pick up a aftermarket oyster separately with only brushed endlinks. Because the watch came in both oyster and jubilee bracelets, some dealers will allow you to buy the oyster bracelet to keep separately (some will insist and taking your jubilee bracelet). I have Rolexes with polished centerlinks and they scratch extremely easily.

Speedmaster is a classic and a strap monster.

I think the BB58 as a diver is much more interesting than a ceramic submariner. Rubber B also sells this really amazing green rubber strap for the BB58 for a very modern vintage look.

I think it is probably the culmination of thousands of collector's words of wisdom to the newly initiated.

Once the speed master arrived, I knew it would stay. So I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a diver with some color. But that's a minor thought.

My first thought right now is changing the 1601. Mostly because I want an oyster bracelet on my datejust. I have fully convinced myself that it is something I want. But I'm worried about whether the new watch would fit in. I think the 16220 would fit in with the vintage vibe of the collection. But the 116234 has additional features that I like/want (solid end links, easy adjust clasp, anti-reflective coating on the date window). But I am worried that this won't be in harmony with the other watches.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Just out of curiosity, any reason why you wouldn't buy an oyster bracelet for the 1601?

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts

on to the picture.
View attachment 15514376
I also have a Speedy Pro and a BB58. Personally, I'd lose the Rolex and get a more proper dress watch. Lots come to mind, but it would depend on your taste. But I would say a white dial with blued hands.

But still, you need a 4th watch for things like camping or going to the lake with friends where you'll get drunk and smack your watch against a rock.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Someone mentioned needing a watch for roughing it, a beater if you will. How about filling the colourful dive watch gap with that? As for those three, while they wouldn't be my choices, it looks like a damn near perfect trio and I wouldn't want to change a thing. Get an oyster bracelet, keep the watch

1 - 20 of 39 Posts