WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to buy some new watches, and I already have TOO many, so I thought it was a good idea to get rid of some un-lucky, un-loved, un-worn pieces that only collect dust and make me feel guilty...
So I decided to count my watches, and I found...
1) 22 "keepers", they are the ones that I wear often and I like the most;
2) 10 "collectible" watches, mostly soviet era watches that usually sit in the drawer... I won't sell them because they are getting rarer, and I like them so they are occasionally worn (like once or twice in a year)
3) 10 "fun watches" these are mostly $25 mushroom cheapos but nice enough to wear "for a change" (yeah like I have not enough watches yet ;-) ) or as beaters.
4) 4 "family" watches that I inherited... they have sentimental value, but they aren't really part of the collection.
For a total of 46 watches... but only half of them really counts so it's OK!!!
I think I've pretty much all basis covered and way more than I'll ever need... but still sometimes I find something special enough to add.
After seven years of collecting I think this is also a good occasion for a SOTC thread...

Many of the keepers are in the showcase... hell since 22 are keepers, 6 of them are to be found in a drawer somewhere and it took me a few minutes to locate them all!!!

And here ALL the watches, more or less in the same order I bought them (or received as gift)

1. Oscillation [keeper]

This was the first I bought, and doing some research I found WUS too...

2. Poljot Alarm [keeper]

3. Nighthawk [keeper]

4. Seiko Monster [keeper]

5. Aristo Sextant [keeper]

6. Seagull Airforce 1963 reissoe [keeper]

7. Poljot Shturmanskie SS-18 [keeper]

8. Shturmanskie Sputnik [keeper]

9. Think The Earth wn-1 [keeper]

10. Seiko Mickey Mouse Chronograph [keeper]

11. Stowa Antea 390 [keeper]

12. Buran Rosegold Alarm [keeper]

13. Davidsen Radiomir sterile homage [keeper]

14. Hamilton Khaki Pioneer [keeper]

15. Vostok Amphibia Ministry [keeper]

16. Beijing BWAF BeiHai 50th [keeper]

17. Swatch Random Ghost [keeper]

18. Swatch Ramarro [keeper]

19. Incoming: Luch GL-1 [keeper]
gl1-09.jpg

20. Casio G-Shock G-8900SC-6ER "Devastator" [keeper]

21. Incoming: Casio G-Shock GA-110AC-7ER "Captain America" [keeper]
GA-110AC-7AJF_2.jpg

22. Poljot Shturmanskie Airforce Silver dial (CCCP era) [keeper]

23. Poljot Shturmanskie Airforce Grey dial (CCCP era) [collectible]

24. Vostok Komandirskie Rising Star (CCCP era) [collectible]

25. Raketa Worldtime 24h [collectible]

26. Vostok Amphibia Radio Room (CCCP era) [collectible]

27. Vostok Komandirskie Paratrooper (CCCP era) [collectible]

28. Vostok Komandirskie Paratrooper 2h (CCCP era) [collectible]

29. Vostok Komandirskie Tankist 2h (CCCP era) [collectible]

30. Vostok Komandirskie (CCCP era) [collectible]

31. Vostok Komandirskie Submarine (CCCP era) [collectible]

32. Vostok Amphibia USSR Navy (CCCP era) [collectible]

33. HMT Pilot [fun watch]

34. Slava [fun watch]

35. Luminor GMT homage [fun watch]

36. Portugese homage [fun watch]

37. Plastic Sub homage 1 [fun watch]

38. Plastic Sub homage 2 [fun watch]

39. Cronomatic homage [fun watch]

40. Silver Chronograph [family]
silver_papa.jpg

41. Seiko Digital [family]

42. Seiko Digital [family]
Like #41 just silver instead of black

43. Citizen Analog [family]

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Nice collection dude! I was planning to make a similar thread myself but you beat me to it! Funny to read how much watches you can acquire and seem to care about in some way in a relatively short amount of time(i mean you are talking about keepers, collectibles, family and fun; basically you are saying you need to keep all :p). Very recognisable! Always an excuse1 Haha...

What I found remarkable is that there are few Chinese pieces. Maybe you should add another Seagull? Also no classic Flieger yet. You dont like those?

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
Thank you for this thread! You have a very interesting mix of watches and I really enjoy seeing what you have collected.

What are your top three/five watches and why...and what is next on your "must have" list? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice collection dude! I was planning to make a similar thread myself but you beat me to it!
Thank you! :)
Make your own thread too... there is plenty of space for everyone to post his watches :-!

basically you are saying you need to keep all :p). Very recognisable! Always an excuse1 Haha...
Yep, that's the point ;-)

What I found remarkable is that there are few Chinese pieces. Maybe you should add another Seagull? Also no classic Flieger yet. You dont like those?
For Chinese I'm quite happy with the BeiHai and the 1963, while the Aristo is somewhat flieger inspired... a Stowa B-dial would be welcome but it's expensive so I didn't buy it.

Thank you for this thread! You have a very interesting mix of watches and I really enjoy seeing what you have collected.
Thank you!!! :)

What are your top three/five watches and why...and what is next on your "must have" list? Inquiring minds want to know! :)
Choosing a few "top" favorites is a bit difficult, but I'd say ThinkTheEarth, Volmax Sputnik, and my Dad's Gold chronograph, with one of my Swatches or G-Shock as a fourth. I mostly like colourful and un-conventional timepieces, but every watch in my collection is someway "special", because I flipped all the ones I thought of as "ordinary" (or even not interesting enough).
I don't have a proper "must have" list, but sometimes I find another "special" watch and I can't help buying it. A good example is the Luch GL-1 one-handed... I often considered one-handed watches, but either weren't interesting enough or they were too expensive, until one day I see this picture and I know it's the right one. Same thing with my G-Shocks, I waited for years, because I'm not a fan of Black/White digitals and I'm picky when it comes to colors but in a few weeks I found 2 of them I liked.
Hopefully for a long time I won't add newer watches... ;-)

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Ecelectic is the best word I can think of!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Holy smokes! You have one great collection there. My personal favorites are your Beijing Behai, Poljot alarm, Stowa Antea, and Raketa WorldTimer, Orange Amphibia Ministry, and Black Monster.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You have a great collection. Very diverse in terms of looks and age. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed looking at all the Russian watches!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wow! Very, very nice collection! I've never seen the Sputnik before. My heart started racing and I got sweaty palms seeing it. I think I'm in love!

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
I love your collection, especially the diversity and eclectic cool funky stuff. I have always had a fondness for the arty fringe of watches. I think "Think the Earth" has been the hardest temptation I keep trying to avoid because of the size. I have pondered doing one of these SOTC threads, but I haven't found the time to pull it all together lately. I keep trying to downsize, then something else comes wandering in. It's a constantly shifting landscape. Maybe I'll do one of these at the end of the year, just to put a peg in the hole. ;-)

·
Premium Member
38,915 Posts
Fantastic. I'm filled with envy every time you post the Beihai or Antea. Now I see the rest of your collection isn't too shabby either!

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ecelectic is the best word I can think of!
That's right... I love variety so I tried to have minimal redundancy and a bit of everything.

Wow awesome collection. Thanks for sharing.

Holy smokes! You have one great collection there. My personal favorites are your Beijing Behai, Poljot alarm, Stowa Antea, and Raketa WorldTimer, Orange Amphibia Ministry, and Black Monster.
Nice choice... I wear them quite often indeed. The Poljot Alarm was literally a "turning point" in my collection: at first I thought it was garish, but it grew on me, and I understood how much I like color and visual impact.
The Antea and the Beihai alone are my finest dressy watches, and they are worth 20% of my collection cost,... once I did wear the Antea for a month straight and it was only off by only 6 (SIX) seconds, better of many quartzes. And the BeiHai has the nicest movement $500 can buy, it kinda reminds me of AL&S movements with its screwed gold chatons. I didn't take a movement shot, but I can borrow this from the web...
20120709_183855.jpg

You have a great collection. Very diverse in terms of looks and age. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed looking at all the Russian watches!
I started my collection with russians (hence my CCCP nickname). They are fancy and unexpensive, and I can't help loving their quirky and funky design! Even issued military watches often have a nice color scheme. Almost half of my collection is indeed composed of russian timepieces, and I regret not buying more when they were abundant and cheap in the early 2000's.

Wow! Very, very nice collection! I've never seen the Sputnik before. My heart started racing and I got sweaty palms seeing it. I think I'm in love!
I know this symptoms... I felt the same!!! They are usually followed by and uncontrollable urge to buy...
Actually I only add new pieces when I'm in love with it... nothing just to "scratch an itch" anymore ;-)

I love your collection, especially the diversity and eclectic cool funky stuff. I have always had a fondness for the arty fringe of watches. I think "Think the Earth" has been the hardest temptation I keep trying to avoid because of the size. I have pondered doing one of these SOTC threads, but I haven't found the time to pull it all together lately. I keep trying to downsize, then something else comes wandering in. It's a constantly shifting landscape. Maybe I'll do one of these at the end of the year, just to put a peg in the hole. ;-)
I also love your collection! You have more amazing pieces than I can remember, and I'd gladly drool over my keyboard looking at your own SOTC thread!!!
I concur, I specialized on the arty fringe of watches, every timepiece will tell me the time, but usually I prefer the ones that make me smile too ;-)
I have the same problem with "wandering in" timepieces: I bought 7 new this year, and each so different from all the rest... so I feel the "constantly shifting landscape" sensation too. ;-)
Think The Earth it's a wonderful weekend/vacation timepiece, and a terrific conversation starter. I love how it puts time and space in a totally different perspective. :-!

Nice diverse collection :-!

Love the variety of styles and colors you have chosen. Thanks for sharing the collection! Cheers

Fantastic. I'm filled with envy every time you post the Beihai or Antea. Now I see the rest of your collection isn't too shabby either!
They are amazing timepieces indeed... as I said before, they are among the most expensive that I own ;-)

Thanks for that display of eye candy !!! Nice !!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
Great watches! I always enjoy seeing one of your collection in the WRUW threads, so it is nice to see them all together.

I know what you mean about the Russian collectables. I bought a few myself when I first found WUS, and I'm afraid to wear some for risk of damage, like the original Vostok Radio Room. I do wear them about once or twice a year though so I just can't bear to sell them.

Thank you for the thread :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I wondered what SOTC meant. I've seen it in a few threads recently and didn't know what it stood for.

I think we could all use our own SOTC post. It's a good way to critically review your collection (be it two watches or 30+) and see how you arrived at your current state and why.

I go through the show your collection thread many times but just a photo doesn't tell the full story and what decisions went into why you bought a watch and why you sold a watch. I find those type of threads most instructional and helpful. The next time I update my SOTC thread, I intend to do the same.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Nice collection. I also like the fact that you have included a plastic watch or two! Shows that you own watches, because they are fun! Or that is at least one of the reasons, you have them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts