WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love mechanical chronograph wristwatches. Over the last 2 years or so, I have purchased 8 of them from various brands and from both authorized dealers and the gray market. All were new, present day models. I had to send 6 back for significant functional problems. If you have calculator handy and take the time to do the math, that's a 75% failure rate.

I maintain that these problems are so prevalent that the companies who manufacture mechanical chronograph can't, or won't, recognize them. If you've received your recent copy of WatchTime's "2020 Special DESIGN Issue", turn to Page 76. Before you is a beautiful mechanical chronograph from IWC with their new "racing green" dial. An experienced mechanical chronograph collector/user will also see a malfunctioning chronograph. I won't say what they are because I would like to see what other people think. I will say I am mentally slow so it took me 15 seconds to do so.

PS. I would like to publicly acknowledge and congratulate the two companies which provided me with the 2 good chronographs discussed above: Fortis and H2O (a German based boutique brand).

heb

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I love mechanical chronograph wristwatches. Over the last 2 years or so, I have purchased 8 of them from various brands and from both authorized dealers and the gray market. All were new, present day models. I had to send 6 back for significant functional problems. If you have calculator handy and take the time to do the math, that's a 75% failure rate.

I maintain that these problems are so prevalent that the companies who manufacture mechanical chronograph can't, or won't, recognize them. If you've received your recent copy of WatchTime's "2020 Special DESIGN Issue", turn to Page 76. Before you is a beautiful mechanical chronograph from IWC with their new "racing green" dial. An experienced mechanical chronograph collector/user will also see a malfunctioning chronograph. I won't say what they are because I would like to see what other people think. I will say I am mentally slow so it took me 15 seconds to do so.

PS. I would like to publicly acknowledge and congratulate the two companies which provided me with the 2 good chronographs discussed above: Fortis and H2O (a German based boutique brand).

heb
What do you think of Soviet/Russian chronographs. I own six of them - Poljot, Buran, and Seconda. I love all of them, all mechanical.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I love mechanical chronograph wristwatches. Over the last 2 years or so, I have purchased 8 of them from various brands and from both authorized dealers and the gray market. All were new, present day models. I had to send 6 back for significant functional problems. If you have calculator handy and take the time to do the math, that's a 75% failure rate...
That is unfortunate. I have 6 chronographs, the most recent from 2016 and all function flawlessly. Admittedly the six only have two movements (Lemania 1873 based and Valjoux 7760 - both manual winding) so not a great variety.

In your experience what movements were prone to fault/ and/or failure?

Also, I'd like to see the photo of the IWC to which you referred but unfortunately I do not have that magazine. If you see a photo of the same fault on another watch please post it, I'm sure lots of peeps are curious.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What are your thoughts on Japanese chronographs? Do they suffer from the same inaccuracies and failure rates?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have two mechanical chronographs, both functioning perfectly up to now. This is a 100% succes rate, so all chronographs must be working perfectly — small sample size notwithstanding ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts