WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I totally blame Buzzbait, but his pictures of stealthed G-Shocks have encouraged me to start a stealth project of my own. The G 9000 Mudman (no atomic) is one of my favorite watches so I wanted to see if I could stealth it out as much as possible.

The first phase was to cobbled together as many black pieces as possible. I took the bezel off my Atomic Mudman, the module from my negative display Mudman and the straps from my red-button Mudman and stuck them all together.

Then I noticed that the silver casing that shows through the bezel kinda spoiled the effect, so I took off the bezel and blacked those out too. I'm really pleased with the result!

The next step will be to remove the bezel and straps again and strip off the lettering/paint. That should make it about as black as possible. I'm also toying with the idea of blacking out the lettering inside the module - but that's just an idea right now.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great project!!! :-!:-!:-! I've been thinking about the same kind of thing for a while now, but just haven't had the chance to get all of the parts together. Looks awesome.
Thanks. A few hours later, some more swapping of parts, a trip to Walmart, $1.50 on some black RIT dye, some boiling, a re-assemble, and I have what I was trying to accomplish - a totally stealthed Mudman (with soft buttons) This will be seeing me into the new year in style!

Before...

[plus my other two muddies are now back in their original condition]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks. A few hours later, some more swapping of parts, a trip to Walmart, $1.50 on some black RIT dye, some boiling, a re-assemble, and I have what I was trying to accomplish - a totally stealthed Mudman (with soft buttons) This will be seeing me into the new year in style!

Great job... but why stop there? :-d

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Very nice work, however, the red and white lettering inside the case still kind of spoils it for me. It just doesn't look right. If you could somehow make that lettering grey, or even remove it.... then you would have the ultimate model. Excellent work though - good to see some people who aren't afraid to experiment with things.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice work, however, the red and white lettering inside the case still kind of spoils it for me. It just doesn't look right. If you could somehow make that lettering grey, or even remove it.... then you would have the ultimate model...
That was always part of my plan, I'm just not too sure how to go about getting it out so that I can get access to it and hopefully modify it. From my original posting:
...I'm also toying with the idea of blacking out the lettering inside the module - but that's just an idea right now.
If anyone knows how to get the faceplate out without screwing up the module let me know. I have taken out the module before but can't recall if the faceplate came out too?

·
Registered
289 Posts
On some models at least when you remove the back the module just lifts out (carefully) and then the faceplate just comes out too.

If it was me I'd do this and black out the silver trapezoid. The text unfortunately is on the crystal so its hard to change the colour of... But it could probably be removed very carefully... If you wanted to change the colour I'd consider putting a tint over the crystal, but under the bezel.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm, I think I'm going to take a look at it tonight to see if it does come out or not. If it does the question will be how far do I want to go? I kinda like having some text - tough judgment call - maybe some photoshop madness will help me decide.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that the faceplate is easily removed on the Mudman.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.