WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black G7700; great features, perfect size; it's a great watch...except for the silver metal bezel on the front. I want it black. Permanently. I've tried roughing the surface then spray painting it with outdoor paint, brushing it with automobile paint, but it chips and rubs off after a couple of weeks. (BTW, the watch looks phenomenal all black.) I even called Casio to see if they sold the black bezels that I've seen on 7700's in different colors, but no. Is there any way to dye or otherwise color a silver metal bezel that won't have to be touched up?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Welcome to the forum. ;-)

The bezel ring is made of aluminium alloy and cannot be painted without pre-treatment.

Just roughing the surface alone won't help.

Normally, aluminium components are powder-coated. This is a different process compared to spray painting. Powder coating (aka electrostatic painting) also require a post-baking process to cure the powder.

Another method to colour aluminium would be to anodise it.Anodising is a process whereby the aluminium is "corroded" to form an invisible film of aluminium oxide. You can then dye it during the anodising process.

Please note that this processes are not easy to do without the necessary equipment and know-how.

Trust the above gives you some insight.

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mountain Mike: Thanks for the info; it helps a lot.

Freeman: Saw your thread; nice swap. I wear a suit and tie to work, and IMO the 7700 is one of the few G's that has tremendous wrist presence without being too chunky to fit under shirt sleeves. The black on black is very cool, unobtrusive, and mature. I own other watches (Seiko SKX173, TSAR) and other G's (6600, GW6900, 5600 series), but this one could be my favorite if I can get it right.

Arlee: I don't know that I'm at the point of buying another watch just for the bezel, but it's still early...

Meanwhile, I'm still open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you just want the metal bit stealthed, you can buy these separately because the 7700 bezels are sold in two parts.

The metal part of the G-7710KRT bezel will do the job nicely as it is jet-black. Part number 10275109 is the KRT "inner bezel" and part number 1027108 is the KRT "outer bezel" - unfortunately I can't confirm which bit is which o| but as I ordered both parts together it didn't matter.

The "inner bezel" cost twice as much as the "outer bezel" (about $20*).

*I don't know if the parts are still available.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,654 Posts
I used the KRT watch and converted it to black resin.
It was easier then buying the KRT bezel parts somewhere. :think:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts