WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Just finished stealthing my G-Shock bezel. I left it in Goof-Off for an hour and a half, and luckily, my bezel wasn't damaged. However, some of the text remained, ever so faint, but there is still a slight trace and it really is bothering me. Any advice on how to get rid of the last of the painted text (preferably without dunking it in Goof Off again)?

On another note, which bezels should I not use Goof Off on (which bezels are damaged by Goof Off)? Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
mygshock.com is a great resource.. scroll down on the main page where it says Advanced G-Shock How-To Guides.. look for Stealthing and Painting.. I'm no expert but I think leaving resin in goof-off for an hour and a half isn't so good but check out mygshock.com..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I still wasn't able to find any tips on removing the last, extremely faint trace of paint without having to redo the Goof Off process. Anything you could recommend without having to reuse Goof Off (such as scraping remaining paint with a toothpick, etc.)?

Also, I've noticed the stealted bezel smells strongly of Goof Off, even after 6 hours of ventilation. How long should I expect the smell to stay, and when is it safe to put the bezel back on the G-Shock?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Find a stiff small paint brush or tooth brush. Goof off might melt a toothbrush. Put a little goof on it and lightly work it into the letters it will come right off. Non acetone nail polish remover works too. I have never did a goof off soak and have removed letter paint from about 4 different bezels. Wash it with some mild soap and warm water. I hate that smell. It's probably bc of the lengthy soak it had. I don't think the shiny resin wood like goof off much. And I know the plastic G buttons on a 6900 would melt with that stuff bc its plastic. Rub it on a cd case and watch what it does.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I regret the long soak, however, I've tried scrubbing the letters, and the G-Shock Text came right off, but the smaller ones like mode, adjust, etc. wouldn't come off no matter how long I scrubbed. I scrubbed for 5 mins, and it still wouldn't come off. Had to dunk it before I could scrub it off.

Anyways, my main question is, since I soaked the bezel for an hour and a half in goof off, how long should I expect the smell to stay, and when is it safe to put the bezel back on?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Did u try to wash it with soap and warm water? Or even soak it in soapy hot water? If u can't get the paint off the small letters u can go over them with some flat black paint. That's what I did. Looks fine. Really no way to tell how long it will last. That stuff has to evaporate and/or removed from the resin.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Even a fine brush will find it difficult to get it's bristles into the small lettering of 'mode' etc. On doing mine, I got the final bits off by using a wooden cocktail stick, dipping the end into acetone free nail polish remover, and just physically agitating the final paint off...

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I have the same problem with a 6900 bezel I am stealthing. I am going to resort to painting the letters black (the bezel is already black) to cover the little bits of paint left in...

Some bezels' paint is just more stubborn than others

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After soaking it in hot water, some more paint got removed, so it is barely noticeable now. I think I'll just leave it as it is now. Is it normal for the bezel to still smell strongly of Goof Off after a day?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts