WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a safe way to do this? I've read conflicting information on Goof Off, Goof Off 2 (not sure if it even exists anymore), non-acetone nail polish remover, paint thinner, lighter fluid, etc.

For example, I'd like to remove the green paint from this EL button. I've got a spare all-black button that I could use, but if I could spare myself the frustration of dealing with the EL button c-clip I gladly will!

casio_gshock_dw6900sn_watch_collection_1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Put the watch in a clear bag and remove the C clip and swap buttons. The material used in them is sensitive to removers and scratches. Only way I've removed color is my age and wear.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
those buttons dont like any kind of solvent, even plastic friendly isopro can affect the finish. you could try a paint pen or artist acrylics and stick with water for clean up. id personally go the button swap if you have one spare. yes its fiddly but will be less effort than cleaning/painting the one on there. jsut do as wit said and operate inside a bag or use something to prevent the e clip from doing a hoodini

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
depends on how fastidious you want to be with the finished product. i usually spend a bit of extra time getting it right since itll be something i'll look at alot
sharpies arent black-black, more a purple black so i steer away from them unless its a beater. james' one looks like he painted the whole button, things to watch out for with this method are brush strokes across the button and losing definition in the embossing of the 'G'.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
What paint did you use? Did you do any prep work?
I used this automotive scratch/chip touch-up paint from Home Depot. This one is flat but it comes in a glossy version. It seems pretty durable. If you're careful, you can paint the whole button and it will look pretty decent. As far as prep work, I just made sure it was clean.

20191010_204910.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts