WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all.

I just got a DW-6600 about a week back, and I'm intending to stealth it.

The thing is, I don't want to unscrew the bezel out, as I'm afraid that I will not be able to screw it back properly, and that it might lose it waterproof capability.

I am thinking of applying nail polish remover on the parts to be stealthed, and use an old toothbrush to scrub off the paint. Would this be good enough?

Suggestions please :)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Always remove the bezel before stealthing. The bezel is merely a shock resistant cover, and in no way effects the watch's water resistance. If the nail polish remover accidentally makes contact with the wrong part of the watch, it will melt that part.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Buzzbait.

Another noob question: do I remove the bezel by firstly unscrewing the screws at the back of my watch?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, robocopu :)

A noob at stealthing watches here :-d

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
324 Posts
I definitely recommend doing it. Don't know how well nail polish will work, but to get the best effect use Goof-Off to completely remove the paint.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too bad, it's stealthed ;-) :-d

·
Registered
294 Posts
Goof Off that you can buy at Wal Mart or hardware stores works great to remove the old paint as well....just make sure that you take the bezel off as Goof Off can melt plastic, but won't melt the bezel. I have heard there is a plastic safe Goo Off as well. just put some on the toothbrush and gently scrub the paint....the paint comes off with absolutely no elbow grease. Nail polish remover will take forever on most g-shock paint.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip, shakyjake ;-)

I managed to stealth my DW-6600 last night.

Here's what I did : I soaked the bezel in nail polish remover, and I tried to scrub off the paint with a toothbrush, but nothing happened.

Then my friend suggested using a toothpick, and viola, the paint got removed.

There were still some parts where the paint was not totally removed, so I continued my stealthing with a staple (yes, I use the strangest things to stealth my DW-6600 :-d).

Hope to post some pictures soon (when the lighting in my room is right, and when I can find the transfer cable for my digital camera).

·
Registered
57 Posts
:-s

The forum has been full of it these last weeks...

Stealthing = removing coloured printing. so that you end up with a completely black watch.
Thanks. I know it has but the posts have assumed a basic understanding which I was until now lacking.

Why would one want to do this? For camouflage? Surely the most obvious effect is to disguise that its a G - or is that the point?

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Thanks. I know it has but the posts have assumed a basic understanding which I was until now lacking.

Why would one want to do this? For camouflage? Surely the most obvious effect is to disguise that its a G - or is that the point?
I will let the stealthers answer this question... ;-)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
OK - I'm not a stealther, but I'm going to try to answer this...

At the most simplistic level stealthing makes a G-Shock... stealthy. What's the point of that? Well, black resin G-Shocks start out by being pretty stealthy anyway. There's something about black resin that seems to absorb light. Black G-Shocks are the very opposite of 'flash', which is part of their appeal. Sometimes you can look at a G-Shock and wish you could do something to make it melt into the shadows a little more. Removing the red paint, for a start. And the white paint too - much too bright. Now what have you got? You've got a watch that is refusing to draw attention to itself, but still looks quietly impressive. Black panther versus tiger.

It has a minimalist appeal too. Arguably, G-Shocks have too much writing on them. Get rid of it. Arguably, G-Shocks have too much colour on them. Get rid of it. Reduce the watch to its simple, rugged essentials.

And then there are the military associations. Imagine the stereotypical commando figure. Black, muted, slightly sinister. You can have a watch that looks a bit like that, if that appeals to you.

And the great thing is, you don't remove any of the watch's identity when you remove the paint. It's still self-evidently a G-Shock. If anything, by removing the superfluous, you enhance the basic character.

I wouldn't want to do it myself, but it can be very effective. Buzzbait's 6900, for example, is simply gorgeous. If it was a Casio limited edition, it would sell in large numbers.

I think that's kind of it...

Not everyone will go for stealth watches. To some they may be more like funeral watches. ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts