WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just back from a holiday and like an idiot failed to remember to take off my 5600C one day before going for a swim in the sea.

I've worn it in the shower at home up till now with no issues so I guess the salt water was an issue, here's a photo:

I haven't stripped it yet due to only getting back yesterday, but has anyone got any advice? It clears up when it's off the wrist, but steams within a minute if I put it back on.

Cheers

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's no longer water resist... Take it off and give it a nice hot air blow. Replace the O-ring ASAP!
The o-ring was new as part of a sort of restoration a few months ago, ( not a Casio one but aftermarket I think as it wasn't in any official packaging). I'll replace it if I'm able to find a genuine one. What about the button seals, could it be one of those?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
put it in a jar of dried rice or one of those prepackaged things for wet electronics. Not sure of the name but I used on on a phone once, worked great. Sometimes gasket replacement goes wrong for many reasons.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
put it in a jar of dried rice or one of those prepackaged things for wet electronics. Not sure of the name but I used on on a phone once, worked great. Sometimes gasket replacement goes wrong for many reasons.
Silica gel packets. They work good, infact better than the rice jar. Initially I had a suspect on the buttons too, but since it was a vintage, better to start with the o-ring. Button gaskets will be lot harder to work with if they are indeed the culprits.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe it was the heat (or cold) shock that got it fogged up.
I don't think seawater differs in terms of watch penetrating ability.

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
i would check to O-ring first as well. may have seated wrong, slight roll/twist in it. not greased properly.
Maybe it was the heat (or cold) shock that got it fogged up.
I don't think seawater differs in terms of watch penetrating ability.
water had to penetrate to fog, when off, it cools and clears, puts it on,body heat causes it to fog. the difference between showering and swimming is pressure. even submerged 4-6 feet could cause enough PSI to cause a small amount of water in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
By heat (cold) shock I meant entering the sea that is 14°C (just a wild guess) with a watch that is body temperature. Then everything shrinks a little, allowing water ingress.
It is much more drastic for the watch than entering a 45°C shower that is closer to body temperature.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, opened her up today and yes, water inside!

Luckily it wasn't too bad, a few small drops on the side of the rubber module surround, on the module to the side of the LCD screen, and some just below the crystal.

Thankfully none of it got to the circuitry. I've decided to just leave it all open and in bits so it can dry off naturally. I still have the original o-ring actually, which is a bit out of shape but I I might try to grease it up and get it back in because the replacement one I bought is definitely thinner than how Casio make them.

Phew!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Best advice? Replace all the button "O" rings & case back "O" ring. Cheap insurance against total loss of the watch. You'd be very surprised what's in the push button wells if you've never cleaned them out before. If the button "O" rings look OK (there should be 2 on every button), clean them up & add some silicon grease to them during reassembly. Is it possible that one of the "C" clips that hold the button on has come off or broke? That could have caused the water ingress too. Any chance that the crystal was leaking around its seal? All possible places where water can get in. I would also keep everything in a bag with silicon gel packets for a few days to make sure that all the moisture is removed before you put it back together again; never know when humidity could get in the circuits as well.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
if you waited a couple days to open it up you couldve been in time for foggy friday :p

personally id do a test, take the module out put everything back together pop the case into a bowl of water. if it leaks youll see little air bubbles |>

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you waited a couple days to open it up you couldve been in time for foggy friday :p

personally id do a test, take the module out put everything back together pop the case into a bowl of water. if it leaks youll see little air bubbles |>
Very good :-d

I might just do that as I don't have access to silica gel packets withough buying them anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts