WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this at SCWF as well:

Anyone knows when did Seiko start to use clearback for their watches.

I was told by a shop owner that to tell if it is not a recent/new Seiko, just look behind. You should see a Steel caseback for older seikos.

Is this true?

need your expert opinions, thanks!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would think that it depends on the model, but this one is out for about a year or so. I have not seen them on any divers yet.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I could be wrong and I think there is a very small number of vintage exceptions, but generally, it is a fairly recent development. Seiko didn't really start using displayback widely until the widespread introduction of 7s powered Seiko 5's. With few exceptions, I would guess that it would be sometime in the very late 1990's or early 2000's before display backs went into widespread use.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey guys,
I have been collecting Seiko 5s since the mid 90s and regularly stop by the local Seiko AD just to check out whats new and I remember that the first ones with transparent backs began to appear in 2002. I do have one with the 7S26A with a solid steel case back. I believe that some people prefer the solid steel case back because they don't especially like looking at the 7S series movement. I recently purchased a BFS and was rather surprised to find a solid back. Hmmm..

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
...I recently purchased a BFS and was rather surprised to find a solid back. Hmmm..
The BFS is technically not a seiko 5 though. That said if you really want a display back, you can always swap one from any seiko 5 it will fit, but will be a bit thicker than the lower profile of the ss back.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i prefer the clear casebacks i love them specially for watches with rhodium plated parts(gold colored) but for a Diver's watch i think it's not applicable for great depths so they still use metallic casebacks for Diver's watch

·
Registered
73 Posts
Display back are nice to look at generally but that also differs with each individuals. I tend to prefer a steelback in some watches like divers and more rugged looking watches. But i would prefer display back on those formal looking watches.

·
Registered
181 Posts
display Back Are Nice To Look At Generally But That Also Differs With Each Individuals. I Tend To Prefer A Steelback In Some Watches Like Divers And More Rugged Looking Watches. But I Would Prefer Display Back On Those Formal Looking Watches.
+1

·
Registered
511 Posts
I dont own a watch that has a displayback originally. I do own a Black Monster that has an display back modded in to it. although i like the moddification wich makes my BM a bit 'one of a kind' I'n not very interested in see trough backs. While wearing the watch you can not see it anyway, and thats what i do with my Seiko's...wear them:-d

No disrespect intended to anyone who feels differently about this. Watches are a great hobby and i feel that every one is entitled to his or hers own opinion:-!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Joram.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts