WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Yesterday this lovely ace came in, so I thought I'd share my thoughts and initial impressions. Living in CA, the idea of getting a diver which was designed, tested, and built in CA was the hook which got me, paired with a desire for a chunky styled diver a-la Kobold (although straigtaway I want to say this watch is different in the details and I think a SEAL or AD will actually compliment this in a collection someday).

After an extended pleasant conversations with Mrs. Resco over email, I was sold on the brand, and happily found the combo I wanted used and for a price I could manage. The movement choice and history of this brand have been talked out extensively so I'll focus more on what you can see. b-)

The crystal:

It's tall, but the bezel is steeped inline with the curve: a nice Koboldian touch. You are probably thinking this doesn't look like a double AR coated crystal-- and you'd be absolutely right! The first thing I did with this watch was remove the outer AR coating which was sadly already awfully scratched. I'll post another thread explaining the quick way I removed it. I think it looks better now! the dial is less clouded, the grey color comes out better (it really looked purplish to me before <|), and, surprisingly, the lume seems a bit more perky (perhaps the initial charge is simply more noticeable with a clearer crystal). There is indeed more reflection on the crystal but it is more than manageable with the inner AR and better than the alternative. I hear that Resco is stocking single side coated crystals, and for someone buying new, I'd recommend it.

The case:

The case is definitly the highlight of the watch (followed closely by the dial IMO). It's a milled/CNC machined case, and it shows. Given the fairly short lugs, the nato channels/sunk caseback were a very thoughtful fix. Despite wearing tall, the result is that the watch is surprisingly balanced, noticeably more so than the microbrew ~44mm divers I've owned (LM-6 and Helson SD for example). Of course, it's not as large as these watches, but given that most of us are cross-collecting, I think it warrants comparison. The Resco is also more comfortable than the Monster, which is the same size, but is less balanced with regard to weight. I think this might be the most ideal watch for NATOs that I've ever seen.

The printing between the lugs of the serial # and model # are done in the same font as the text on the dial, another nice touch.

The finishing on the case is top-notch amongst the 'brews I've owned, and dare I say, even comparable to the all brushed Breits I've had in the past. All the edges are crisp without being too sharp (another problem with my LM-6) For an example of nice finishing, the outside of the bezel notches are slightly more polished and horizontally brushed vs. the inside of the notches which are vertically brushed (poorly captured above). The brushing, however, is not as deep or rich as the Omegas I've owned. the finish on my 2254.50 was amongst the best I've seen (for watches under 1.5k).

The lugs have hex bars, which I initially wasn't fired up about...but they are growing on me. I've found it's noticeably easier to remove the bars stably, lowering the risk of annoying lug scratches. I changes straps all the time, so this could be a big deal in the long run. The lugs curve inward on the sides, creating a nice curve when viewed directly from under the lugs.

The bezel has Marathon-like wide notches, which are very grippable without being total overkill. The 120 click bezel has a firm metallic click. It compares the closest in feel to my old Breitling SO Pro,which of course was only a 60 clicker, so on the Resco the ratchets are shorter. The bezel turns easily but not loosely, more easily than the Helson SD and waaay easier than my Bluering (which is so tight I think it's a flaw of construction). The feel does not oust the UTS 500m for having the best feeling bezel action of the 'brews. I might get a UTS again someday just because that bezel was so perfect feeling, it's burned into my memory! Also, the #'s on the bezel are very articulate and balanced. I don't mind the countdown bezel, it's clean, and likely to be the only one in my very tiny collection. And of course you have got to love that huge lume dot. :-d

The crown is nicely machined, obviously grippable, and is complimented by some handsome looking crown-protector casework. I wish the trident on the crown was engraved more deeply. It threads soundly and with no wobble :)-!), but I have found that the Benarus Moray I and my Breits both had a smoother, finer feel.

The Dial:

What can I say? It's brilliant IMO. Totally readable, printed very crisply. The famous Lum-Tec uber thick lume lives up to it's fanfare and it's frankly gorgeous IMO. Again, perfect printing, so thick as to almost appear domed, and BIG! I chose the grey dial because I think the grey color balances the very loud large Brand/Model text and huge indices. For some reason it all seems to blend better to me with this color combination and the ss case. It will certainly present some challenges as far as strap selection goes, but after having a ton of black dialed divers, I think it will be fun. The grey is various shades in different lights, and still a bit purplish when the AR is visible (occasionally). One quibble: the depth rating does not appear perfectly centered under "Patriot," which is either my imagination, or a genuine mistake. Also, I have no good lume shots for now.

The hour and minute hands are good and simple, and the right size. The trident second hand is cool in my book, but I wish there was lume on the second hand (which clicks at a even but slow 18000 bpm), I don't see why that couldn't have been done. :think:

Other Stuff: Amagnetic is cool, it's keeping fine time, the swag that came with it was nice, blah blah blah I'm getting bored of writing. Here are more pics.

And the requisite wrist shot...

One last thing: When I let Resco know I had found one used, they were enthusiastic and congratulatory and said they are happy to help if the watch ever needs repairs, offered a discount on straps, and even to swap dials if I ever wanted. Well played! :-!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Superb review, thanks. Couple of observations, not crazy about the countdown bezel but a small thing. Really want to hear about the outer AR coating. I'm a bracelet guy so I don't know if I will be jumping in. I do love the dial though, large markers and thick hands. If they ever come out with a black bezeled option I may reconsider.

Reactions: VenatorWatch

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Great photos and review. The watch is looking less Arctic Diverish all the time. I wish, though, that the watch had a date option.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Once again you have executed a perfect "Common Man's" review of a nice watch! I like how in your reviews you can put the "Honeymoon" feelings aside and give and unbiased viewpoint!! Bravo!

I'm still "mixed" on my feelings of the watch, it has alot of things I love in a tool diver but there are some things I just can't quite wrap my head around. It is one I would consider owning one day but at it's pricepoint there are a bunch of others I would want to try out first!

Wonderful pictures as usual and Congratulations on you new diver!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That is an AWESOME review :-!

Fantastic points, and even better photos mate, I love it! I have also been in email contact with Mrs RESCO & can't say enough about how helpful she has been.

I'm loving the look of the Patriot & will definately be pulling the trigger on one sooner rather than later.... I just have to decide between the black & the brown dials :think:

I think the SS model will be a perfect compliment to my Kobold Arctic Diver Tac & seeing as how I'm a zulu strap addict I look forward to seeing how the Resco wears.

Congratulations on your new toy & thanks again for such a great review!

Enjoy that badboy mate - it looks killer :)

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
That's a great summary of the watch and some outstanding photos Andrew! I'll be picking up my second Patriot this weekend (yes, I'm a fan) and will post some pictures soon. Agree completely with your comments about the case and the varying colors of the grey dials. They change shade considerably with ambient light levels. As much as I would like to try the Patriot on a bracelet or leather, I can't seem to get it off the nylon for which it seems to be ideally suited.

Tom, not a countdown bezel but a GMT bezel ;-)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks SO much for your review :) I have been wanting one of these especially after corresponding with Smitty. Top Notch review and Timepiece! I like that you touched on everything I would want to know. I really like the look of that and hope they make different models as time goes on. I would like to pick this model in both Stainless and PVD. Seems like a LOT of watch for the $. Wear it in good health :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the compliments! It was fun putting it together :-!

I'm loving the look of the Patriot & will definately be pulling the trigger on one sooner rather than later.... I just have to decide between the black & the brown dials :think: I think the SS model will be a perfect compliment to my Kobold Arctic Diver Tac & seeing as how I'm a zulu strap addict I look forward to seeing how the Resco wears.
I was initially interested in the brown dial, partially because I like the white text and white trident seconds hand, but didn't care for the magenta color of the dial with AR. However, the grey came out a lot by removing the AR on my watch, so maybe that would be true as well for the brown?:think: The Resco's black dial seems quite a bit louder than the AD's lovely minimalistic dial, and is available as a sterile dial which is cool.

I was nonplussed about the 20mm lug size initially, but it actually works just fine. The watch wears small for sure and with the channels the nato settles in well. No flopping on this watch, thankfully. I do hope to try it out on leather eventually....

I'm still hoping to get a SEAL someday myself, and I think a Kobold and a Resco will be complimentary. And thanks GGD for the kind words! :-!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thank you for the review!
I have been wanting to read all of this for some time and am quite thrilled to finally do so.
Now I am just torn between grey or black...
In reference to size, and how the watch wears, do you think you could post it beside another watch? I know you have mentioned the monster size, but I have never handled the monster.
Regardless of my inquiries, I really appreciate reading your information.
Wear in best of health!
Best regards
Aaron

·
Registered
476 Posts
I liked your review and I like the watch. The pictures were outstanding. I have seen the Resco watches before, so I was wandering as I looked at pictures why I had not purchased one already. Then I remembered why I had not bought one - no date complication. One of my hang ups is that all my watches have to have a date complication. Though this one looks so nice, I might have to break my rule!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Great review mate! You may have gotten bored writing but I didn't get bored reading. You really focussed on the things that are important to me.

What a superb looking watch - Resco has in one hit gone straight to the upper echelon of the micros by all accounts. I am not a fan of double sided AR, soI like what you did with the crystal. And that dial...DROOL!

Thanks for the read and P0RN!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thank you again!
Pretty sweet monster mod you have there too!
I totally agree with the winning design on this watch, which is a massive feat IMO. It's very simple, balanced, modern, utilitarian and funkified with the second hand trident.
Looking forward to seeing many a wristshot on WRUW, as well as eventually posting my own.
Thanks very much for taking the time to do a comparison picture.
Best
Aa

1 - 20 of 22 Posts