WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few watch companies who are having a hard time sourcing ETA movements. I wonder how long Steinhart can keep putting out timepieces with ETA movements. :-s

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was wondering if this had something to do with the current "out of stock" status of the Ocean i GMT models. The Steinhart website is saying "SOLD OUT", no orders accepted until May 2012, where normally we are all used to - and accept - almost fortnightly shipments arriving, then selling out within days but knowing how the cycle works. The normal statement is " available soon again, ready for shipping by <insert date>". At least you could still order - since Jan/Feb you can't even place an order for an O1 GMT.

I wonder if there are severe constraints on the ETA GMT movements? Something else? A re-design coming?

Out of interest I went to debaufre.com and their GMT 42mm models are backordered until Augsut 2012. What's up ?

Anyone know what is happening?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
...some considerations:
1) Eta is one of the most huge movements producer; |>
2) in the last few years the number of companies "producing" watches became a lot; |>
3) most of those companies requires movements to Eta... |>
4) Eta is not Santa's Factory and maybe they could have problems in satisfying all the clients... :-d

...but this is just my point of view! ;-)

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Here's my take on the shortage volume of finished watches...

1. STEINHART themselves does not have a assembly plant on their own. All the finished watches we saw are assembled by someone else in Switzerland, hence the delay in delivery time in logistic operation.

2. Ever since ETA had jacked up their prices on the finished movements, the risk of overstocking is imminent, if certain models are produced in bulk, yet may receive poor response. So, most likely, STEINHART takes a careful approach of not making orders to have certain models mass produced. This helps in reducing the cost spend on parts and components, as well as reducing the risk of having too much stocks on hand should the price of the movements falls.
This is a common practice used in small business establishments all around the globe.

3. Due to the low volume of production/assembly of finished product to specific models, versus the un-expected high demand on some models, majority of the stocks that come in to STEINHART's hand will most likely be sold off in a week time or perhaps last with another 2 or 3 days to go. So, it will not be surprising that by the time another guy in another side of the glode falls onto certain models... when he placed the next order... most likely he will have to wait...

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
karel, no you do not need to open up the back, it's all ETA....

funkey, regarding Debaufre I cannot say one way or the other what is happening there but it would be fair to say from what we see on the website & in forums that things are not at all good........

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
regarding Debaufre I cannot say one way or the other what is happening there but it would be fair to say from what we see on the website & in forums that things are not at all good
You may not have noticed, but the Debaufre forum in WUS was closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts