WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow mechanical watch enthusiasts

I am sad to confirm that Steinhart has decided to part ways with Soprod fortheir Premium line of wrist watches. Today I got off the phone with Steinhartsupport, they confirmed what I was fearing seeing the Ocean One Titanium andBlue getting their movement replaced from the Soprod a10-2Top with the ETA 2892A2-Top. Now I have nothing against the ETA2892A2-Top grade (IMHO it's the best mass produced ETA movement to date!)and I own several of these, but I am kind of sad to see Soprodleaving the Steinhart line up, as I believe the Soprod a10 to be a technically amore modern and robust alternative to the 2892, being a hybrid between thevenerable Seiko 4L25 and the improvements Soprod made to this design I feltthis was the best of both worlds.

I can perhaps count myself Lucky to have snatched one of the last SoprodOcean One 500 Titanium units directly from Steinhart, but I regretnot being able to get the Navi-B 44mm Soprod (currently out ofstock), which also is getting replaced with the ETA2892A2.

Now many of you might be bewildered by this move, just as I was. But aftersqueezing some info out of Steinhart Support staff, it seems that Steinhart didnot feel comfortable dealing with repair/servicing of their Soprod lineup,being as Soprod is pretty niche, and ETA having such a huge presence inthe mechanical watch world, with spare parts being easily obtainable (for now,curse you tyrant Swatch!), and ETA is most likely able to undercut Soprod. The moveback to ETA for the Premium lineup was perhaps inevitable?

I feel this is a loss nevertheless, there is just something special about theSoprod a10, whether it's the beautiful finish, decoration, high end componentsinside, or the fact that it carries with it Japanese/Swiss DNA, it will be sadto see it go. For the price the Soprod Premium Steinhart watches were virtuallyunbeatable. Now I am not so sure, there are plenty of other good deals ontimepieces sporting higher end grades of the 2892A2.

What are your thoughts on this recent development?

·
Premium Member
73,516 Posts
I'm sure that Steinhart will have made the change for business reasons that they won't declare to mere mortals like us. I know that some have complained about the performance of the A10 in the past but I've had no problems with mine. It's kinda nice having a Swiss watch that doesn't rely on Sellita or ETA to make the hands go round.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure that Steinhart will have made the change for business reasons that they won't declare to mere mortals like us. I know that some have complained about the performance of the A10 in the past but I've had no problems with mine. It's kinda nice having a Swiss watch that doesn't rely on Sellita or ETA to make the hands go round.
I fully agree! whether or not the was Soprod undercut by ETA or perhaps some of the problems people were having with their Steinhart Soprod watches led to this decision, I feel they became less "special" with this complete transition to ETA.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not sure should I feel special or as a looser for having both ti500 and navb premium with soprods :)

Will they move soprod out of all products?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have similar feeling that they are moving away from Soprod when there was post about the OT500. So I immediately ordered O1V Dual Time and it arrived last week. Then I noticed it labeled "available soon" on the web. If Steinhart really move away from Soprod, I feel the O1V Dual Time is a unnumbered limited edition.

I don't have long term personal experience on the A10. Since I only have the OT500 for a few months. I have a few Steinhart, with 2824, 2893, 7750 and A10. I don't feel there are any different under daily use (maybe except 7750, the rotor feel very different). All are keeping time well and I don't feel a particular movement keep time better than the others. My wearing habit may affect the accuracy more than which is the movement. It make me questioning what is a better movement really mean.

I am very new to watches. Based on my limited knowledge and I can't find much information about the A10 online. Seem in every forum there are people saying the A10 supposed to be better than the 2892 top but seem no one can explain why. All I know is it looks better. Seem no one comment on what kind of material they are using. And I have no way to tell just by looking thought the case back. I can only identify the Incabloc. It may not be in the 2824 but the 2892 Elabore supposed to have it also? Many say it look like the 4L25. But a "homage" or a new design based on a better movement may not necessary make it a better movement over the ETA. It is kind of mysterious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi rrrrrlll

The Soprod is supposed to be the "new age"premium automatic movement for the masses, it is on paper more impressive thanthe venerable 2892A2, has the same quality components as ETA's TOP grademovements, and has Seiko DNA all over it, and not just any Seiko, but morespecifically the high end 4L25 (now discontinued by Seiko due to not beingcompetitive enough in the 1500$+ price bracket back in 2007-2013).Many horologists have come forth and praised the Soprod for beingthe next big thing, better than Sellita SW300 (which is more or lessa carbon copy of the 2892).

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Whether there is agreement with Steinhart or not for taking this decision the important point to remember is their intention that the ETA sourced 2893 TOP is ultimately a better solution for themselves & the customer. Just wear them & enjoy.....

A Swiss caliber inside is still something to appreciate no matter if a Soprod or ETA.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My premiums with a10 movements keep better time than the regular ones with 2824 for sure; hopefully they are as reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was really happy when I heard Steinhart had decided to move to the ETA 2892 and that bit of news gave me the push I needed to finally order the OT500. I know people here love the Soprod movement, but for me it was one of the reasons that made me hesitate on ordering the watch.

It's funny to see the Soprod A10 getting praise here for being derived from a Seiko design and TAG's Calibre 1887 get scorned for the same reason in other parts of the forum.

G

·
Interesting to hear love for a non-ETA movement. After being out of the watch game for awhile, and finding nearly no reviews of the Sop, it seems like a good thing they've reverted back to a ETA movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just found out that my Ocean 2 Premium (which had the Soprod A10-2) which was returned to Steinhart for repair is to have the movement replaced with ETA 2892-A2. I'm not very sure why but the Soprod movement began running slow and started sticking (it's about 3 years old). I'm not sure to be disappointed or glad about this. I liked the fact it had a Soprod movement, it meant it was a bit 'different' but also the display caseback is engraved with detail of the Soprod - now it will appear like some kind of Frankenstien watch. Interested to know what others would make of this??

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You bought a Soprod.

They replaced with an ETA. I think you should be able to have a refund. That's disgusting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own an Ocean Titannium 500, too. My Soprod doesnt work right, so I got a new one. Ne 2nd doesnt work, too, now im getting the Eta. I have this Frankenstien feeling like GarethGray, so the watch must leave me when it returns...

·
Registered
154 Posts
So it's dissapointing when a watch goes wrong- and Steinhart have been brilliant at correcting the problem when owners have returned them under warranty. Remember that although Steinhart are ultimately responsible, they seem to have had a bad experience with Soprod and have 'evolved' the premium watches towards the 2892.

To begin with, Steinahart were replacing the Soprod movements in bad watches with a new Soprod A10- and I've not heard anything bad about those replaced movements; outside of the 'bad batch', they're really good. Mine was replaced with another Soprod around April/May last year at 5 months old- and the replacement has been faultless. As they've evolved the range away from Soprod towards ETA, they've started replacing returned Soprods with ETA.

The ETA is an excellent movement, looks every bit as good as the Soprod and has the history and backing of a huge company behind it. The new O1T500s are now a tiny bit thinner than the old version and have a sapphire caseback- that's a real step up. The fact that the A10 is no longer on Soprod's website further suggests it's no longer produced (or it has morphed into their new M100)- which may or may not have consequencies for spares availability and servicing in the out-years. If I had a choice, I'd opt for the ETA every time, but the soprod version, if sorted, is an equally gorgeous watch.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I own an Ocean Titannium 500, too. My Soprod doesnt work right, so I got a new one. Ne 2nd doesnt work, too, now im getting the Eta. I have this Frankenstien feeling like GarethGray, so the watch must leave me when it returns...
Are you sure they are just dropping an ETA in your watch (if it fits) or giving you a whole new watch? If the latter, then it is not a franken-watch but a newer one than you sent away, with a dependable movement. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Having tested all my watches since April last year, ALL my A10-2 watches have been the most unstable (larger daily variations but not to the extent of the batch of OT500's) than my ETA (not to mention the Rolex, Zenith and Omega movements of course). Still a surprise that Soprod has completely discontinued the A10 though.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I've just found out that my Ocean 2 Premium (which had the Soprod A10-2) which was returned to Steinhart for repair is to have the movement replaced with ETA 2892-A2. I'm not very sure why but the Soprod movement began running slow and started sticking (it's about 3 years old). I'm not sure to be disappointed or glad about this. I liked the fact it had a Soprod movement, it meant it was a bit 'different' but also the display caseback is engraved with detail of the Soprod - now it will appear like some kind of Frankenstien watch. Interested to know what others would make of this??
I suspect they might also change the caseback to match the new movement. Another user posted about a similar situation and that's what they did. He knew it was the same watch and not a new one altogether because it still had a small scratch on the case like when he sent it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update:

Steinhart has offered to temporarily fit the ETA movement with relevant caseback for the time being and return to me asap. They will then change the ETA for the new Soprod M100 once it's available (some time after Feb) and they have carried out thorough testing and due diligence.

That is what I call customer service and is one of many reasons why they are a great watchmaker.

You really can't say fairer than that given the price paid - I was also offered option of full refund. The watch is over 3 years old. This really is beyond the call of duty don't you agree?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, they were dropping the ETA into existing watch. I don't like the latest incarnation of Ocean Two so wouldn't want a new one. Anyway, all resolved - see later post.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Richtel, my replacement A10-2 runs 15 secs a day slow, so not really acceptable. It's consistent, so could be regulated, sure, but when I've had the inconvenience of having to return the original for a new movement, I'd expect the seller to do that first.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts